OCR02412 - Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Her Smile in Every Summer"

djpretzel

Not bad. Not bad at all. Couldn't imagine the style in my head when the write-up described indie-style rock with Weezer-like vocals arranging The Wind Waker's Outset Island. Couldn't imagine it working at all. After listening, however, I gotta applaud this band for creativity. Lyrics and signing are cool and the band plays the song well.

Hope we see more radio rock arrangements of game music. Last time we've seen this type of stuff is with Hale Bopp's "Summertime" and "The Ken Song".

It takes quite a lot to get me to login to comment on these things. That said, this is fantastic. Very lighthearted, vibrant, and oh so upbeat. This is one of the more refreshing video game rearrangements I've heard in a long time. All Wind Waker fans will appreciate this one. Also do yourself a favor a check out the rest of the Hot Freaks EP.

It's just so happy! I love this mix. I was skeptical at first, when reading the description and for the first few seconds of the song, but after getting into the song, I knew I had to download it. This will get many plays from me in the future, even if it makes my roommate think I've turned into a girl.

I'd love to know what kind of setup was used on the guitar bit near the end, I really dug the sound.

You know, the first time I listened to this, while I found the lyrics cute, I wasn't sold on the majority of the vocals – they felt sort of strange and discordant to me. My favorite part was definitely the chorus.

Listening to it again almost immediately after that, though, the whole thing somehow meshed significantly better and I found myself digging it a lot more as a complete piece. I can only guess as to how that happened but I certainly won't knock it, haha! It's a pleasant surprise, to be sure. The chorus is still my favorite part, I think. Something about the subtle differences there really makes it stick – the additional voices, the drums, I dunno. It's great. ~3:00 on was especially a delight for some reason.

Anyway! Having sat here and listened to it on loop about 4 additional times since I started writing this review (read: neglecting my work) I feel I can safely say I quite enjoy it. Sort of inspires me to want to draw something. Hmm. It's a very unique and enjoyable arrangement that captures a nice feel which fits the source. I look forward to hearing more from you all in the future!

You know, the first time I listened to this, while I found the lyrics cute, I wasn't sold on the majority of the vocals – they felt sort of strange and discordant to me. My favorite part was definitely the chorus.

Listening to it again almost immediately after that, though, the whole thing somehow meshed significantly better and I found myself digging it a lot more as a complete piece. I can only guess as to how that happened but I certainly won't knock it, haha! It's a pleasant surprise, to be sure.

This is exactly how I felt about this song. On first listen, when this came past the judges panel I wasn't sold at all on the performance or the execution, it all felt too underdeveloped and rough to me.

However, now that it's posted, I can see what all the hype is about. I guess the song just needed a few listens and some time past so that it could "click" in my head. Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way :-)

I've chatted with others before about this subject, and I've come to realize just how much potential that various Zelda tunes have to work brilliantly in an indie rock style, and this just confirms my suspicion. It captures the quirky, carefree, childlike nature of the original in both the lyrics and the arrangement, and makes me feel the same way while I'm listening.

Great stuff :-)

This happened to me too! I have a feeling the panning has something to do with it...

Hale Bopp's "Summertime"

Shariq's comment about the "summertime vibe", pretz's mentioning a "throwback/vintage rock vocal arrangement" made me think the exact same thing. And given my deep and well established love of Hale-Bopp's mix, I must pay this song the highest compliment I can after mentioning it:

This did not disappoint.

<3

Joining my oft referred to playlist of great OCR vocal mixes.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02412 - Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker "Her Smile in Every Summer"