OoT Temple of Rhyme

metaphist

Been wanting to do this remix for a while, and since I finally got the (closet) studio together, I can finally record. No EQ work or mastering yet. Verse comes in around 2:00, my goal was to throw in a reference to every (major) Zelda game that's come out so far. SFX at the end planned to be scratched up eventually, but you'll get the idea.

I'm thinking it's a bit minimal in the interpretation department, so thoughts there are appreciated.

--> Temple of Rhyme <--

--> Temple of Rhyme v2 <--

I like it! I don't have too much to suggest. The vox are a little low in the mix in the sort of "mega-phone" effect voice - if you know what i mean. The "chorus" vox. I think it's all good! Don't have really all that much to suggest. It's not amazing though... but i can't really think of why that is... It doesn't like REALLY impress me but perhaps it doesn't need to.

Its got a really good soundscape but I kinda get what Calum means with the amazing thing. The lead at the start is expressive.......but also not expressive enough to carry the arrangement. There's lots of little bits and bobs going on that are understated which I like. The synth which is panned to the right is a little niggly after a while. I really like it once the vox come in but when viewing the arrangement as a whole, it seems too late. There's nothing as dominant in the mix until the rapping comes in. I also agree that the "mega-phone" voice is just a bit too low. I get that its meant to be subtle but it could still be a little easier to make out.

Looking forward to checking this out once you get some EQ in on there as its already sounding good. Liking the funky parts goin on in the background :)

I get what you mean with the minimalist approach and, for the most part, it does work well. I think its just spacing the vocals out right. Perhaps just have an instrumental > vocals > instrumental > vocals type thing. It might give it better balance than how it currently is. If you're not sure how you want it, experiment. Go with it and see what happens :D

Hey dude!

I think it's just that you keep that lead in for too long. You need to switch it up.

May I suggest taking the lead out after :42, and instead maybe pausing, and adding something like, understated string chords w/ a slow crescendo... Possibly reintroduce that Rhodes w/ little snippets here and there... I think that would still give across a minimalist approach.

Basically turn that section into a B section. Trust me lol.

Also nice verbal assault :J

Nice. I like this one a lot. I'm digging the minimalist approach overall. The vocals are a little hard to hear/understand when they first come in, due to all the effects, but I like how it contrasts the cleaner vocals that follow. You have some slick lyrical stylings going on here too.

Good work!

EDIT: oh and your "Angry Sons" in your sig intrigued me... and the website link provided no more information than your sig did, so I had to download myself and find out. and just wow LOL Mega Man Killas is absolutely ridiculous. Awesome job.

• 2 weeks later...
May I suggest taking the lead out after :42...

I felt like :42 was a bit early to take it out, so I did it in the next section. I'm kinda partial to it...

I love the gritty underground feel of this!

The samples are perfectly placed.

Question on the lyrics: Have you ever heard of The Joe from Alberta? You sound exactly like him!

I'm looking forward to this if it makes it as an OCR. Excellent!

Classic underground East Coast sound 4 life!

You comments make me happy ;) I'll have to check out this The Joe.

...Mega Man Killas is absolutely ridiculous. Awesome job.

You might have already seen, but I put the lyrics for Killas up there. /unrelated