6 'New 52' titles cancelled, 6 new titles out this month

orlouge82

Seven of DC's "New 52" titles have been cancelled (presumably due to low sales)

Hawk and Dove

Men of War

Mister Terrific

O.M.A.C.

Blackhawks

Static Shock

I think that this news is months old already, but I just discovered this fact this morning when I was checking on my titles.

I'm particularly upset about "Static Shock" and "Mister Terrific," but probably more so about the former. Static was the brainchild of the late Dwayne McDuffie (who also did story work for the DCAU series Justice League and Justice League Unlimited), and it makes me bummed to see Static fail so soon after it started.

On the other hand, "Blackhawks" is one title that I'm not sad to see go. I started reading the title when it first came out, but by issue four or five, I just couldn't read it anymore.

Anyhow, any comic readers out there sad about any of these titles going away?

It's only six. You have Hawk and Dove listed twice.

Also how can you not like Blackhawks? Blackhawks was awesome. So sad to see it go.

I wasn't reading any of the other books though. Not surprised to see Hawk and Dove go, considering it's Liefeld's art, but the real puzzler is that now that H&D is over, Liefeld's working on three books for DC.

Static's failure as a title had mostly to do with a creative and editorial team that did not get along. A shame, really; Static's a great character.

I'm more excited for the Second Wave of titles that's coming in to fill in the space, like Earth 2, World's Finest, Batman Incorporated and The Ravagers. Dial H for Hero and GI Combat don't sound very interesting to me.

It's only six. You have Hawk and Dove listed twice.

Also how can you not like Blackhawks? Blackhawks was awesome. So sad to see it go.

I wasn't reading any of the other books though. Not surprised to see Hawk and Dove go, considering it's Liefeld's art, but the real puzzler is that now that H&D is over, Liefeld's working on three books for DC.

Static's failure as a title had mostly to do with a creative and editorial team that did not get along. A shame, really; Static's a great character.

I'm more excited for the Second Wave of titles that's coming in to fill in the space, like Earth 2, World's Finest, Batman Incorporated and The Ravagers. Dial H for Hero and GI Combat don't sound very interesting to me.

Fix'd

I don't know, I guess Blackhawks started turning me off when it started getting so much into the government bureaucracy stuff. Just starting taking a turn for the formulaic to me. Personal preferences, I suppose. Kind of the same reason I wasn't terribly into JLI at first, but now most of the government guys went kaboom, so I'm curious to see where it goes from there.

Interesting about Static's failure. Do you know what the sales figures were for it compared to the others? I hope that they at least integrate him into the Teen Titans story or something. I don't want him to just fall off of the face of the planet. And though his recent cameo in The Savage Hawkman was kind of neat, he as a character didn't really seem to fit in with the story (i.e. Hawkman's story at the time was much more mystical, whereas Static has always been very centered around science).

As far as the new titles, I just hope that DC can keep their continuity straight with all of this parallel Earth stuff. I'm still trying to straighten out exactly what's different in the New 52 Universe, and now they are already adding parallel Earths.

I was able to pick up the Huntress limited series that leads into Worlds Finest, but I'm still not clear if both Huntress and Power Girl are from Earth 2, or just Power Girl, or how they got on this Earth. Probably will be explained, but I just hope the parallel universes don't spin out of control, necessitating another DC Universe-wide "Crisis" event.

All the cancelled titles had low sales I believe. Don't know the figures. Virgil did show up in Teen Titans as Red Robin's go-to-science-guy.

You can't really do the DC Universe without parallel worlds. The concept of parallel worlds has been such an integral part of the line that it's actually surprising they didn't launch it right away with the New 52.

The benefit of the New 52 as a "reboot" is that it's actually much easier to keep the continuity straight. They've sort of reset things back to square one and can clearly delineate what book takes place in which universe.

Huntress and Power Girl are both from Earth 2. Helena "Bertellini" is one of Helena's aliases.

All the cancelled titles had low sales I believe. Don't know the figures. Virgil did show up in Teen Titans as Red Robin's go-to-science-guy.

You can't really do the DC Universe without parallel worlds. The concept of parallel worlds has been such an integral part of the line that it's actually surprising they didn't launch it right away with the New 52.

The benefit of the New 52 as a "reboot" is that it's actually much easier to keep the continuity straight. They've sort of reset things back to square one and can clearly delineate what book takes place in which universe.

Huntress and Power Girl are both from Earth 2. Helena "Bertellini" is one of Helena's aliases.

True enough re: DC's parallel worlds.

I'm actually pretty excited about several of the new titles, and was wondering how they were going to treat Fairchild after she was revealed in Superboy (I couldn't believe that she was only going to be limited to being a tertiary character in his story).

5 bucks says we see the whole "New 52" thing reset again to be the old universe that it was supposed to replace.

I mean, it just comes off as a temporary thing, and they'll hand-wave it away, and go back to how things were before.

If I gambled, I'd take that bet and you'd owe me 5 dollars.

It's hilarious and quite honestly mind-boggling that people keep thinking this. Why on Earth would they go back to how things were before? What about it makes you think that this is all temporary?

The launch of the New 52 was massively successful for them and the entire DC Universe is much fresher and not bogged down by decades of continuity. There's a cohesiveness throughout all of the titles, and the way they've organized their different lines of comics (The Edge, The Dark, Young Justice, etc.) makes everything much easier to keep track of. Let's not even forget the fact that so much of what they're putting out right now is just so incredibly good.

Like motherfucking Animal Man.

Holy damn do I love Animal Man so far.

The Rot is some pretty fucked up shit. I think the Animal Man/Swamp Thing storyline with it are one of the most interesting ones to me right now in DC's New 52 (except, possibly, for the Court of Owls thing going on in the Bat Universe).

I'm very interested to read the full history of the Red, the Green, and the Rot.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so it's may and some of the Second Wave titles are out. I haven't read Dial H for hero but I picked up Earth 2 and World's Finest and I have to say that these are some seriously good books. Earth 2 in particular is absolutely incredible. There's a great twist that sets up the premise of the world and the motivations for many of the characters, and Nicola Scott's art is like just brilliant.

World's Finest is a fun set up for a buddy-book, with Huntress's and Powergirl's contrasting personalities. Really excited about this one.

Alright so it's may and some of the Second Wave titles are out. I haven't read Dial H for hero but I picked up Earth 2 and World's Finest and I have to say that these are some seriously good books. Earth 2 in particular is absolutely incredible. There's a great twist that sets up the premise of the world and the motivations for many of the characters, and Nicola Scott's art is like just brilliant.

World's Finest is a fun set up for a buddy-book, with Huntress's and Powergirl's contrasting personalities. Really excited about this one.

Yeah, I haven't touched Dial H for Hero, but I did pick up Earth 2 and The World's Finest. Both are pretty great so far. Nice tie-in with Mr. Terrific, too (I'm guessing he'll be coming out more as the series progresses, since his comic ended with him accidentally going to Earth 2).

Earth 2 wasn't exactly what I was expecting based on the cover art, but the alternate super heroes and origins are pretty interesting so far, and I think it'll be a great comic.