Good books/guides for mixing?

Jedihillis

Hey everyone! I'm currently using Logic 9 express and am fairly new to the remixing scene.

One of the things I struggle with is coming up with a good mix and/or method of mixing. Most of the work I do is midi oriented. Does any one have a good book they can recommend for mixing techniques and tips? Thanks :-)

Allow me to elaborate.

Alot of mixing books are decent resources but they are going to run around 50 bucks and will mostly tell you that each mix is unique and you need to figure out what works for you. :<

I'd strongly recommend looking up recordingrevolution on youtube. Gram did two series of mixing tips and tricks that will help get you thinking about how you can use your sequencer better.

Subscribing to a magazine would be a good idea too. I'm pretty jealous of you uk guys that can easily get MusicTech delivered to your door.

Rozovian has a huge guide that's aimed at people who are just getting into the remixing scene. You're not going to learn what you need to learn just from reading but it's good to keep your mind active.

Can't seem to find where roz posted his guide...

Welp, there's some stickied threads on the forums here that will serve you well.

I bought a book called "Dance Music Manual" that was pretty decent, although I haven't relied on it very heavily, perhaps just a bit when I first started, though.

Google and Youtube are your greatest assets for taking the plunge. There are a lot of things to learn, and you just have to attack them one by one. After that, talking to better producers than yourself and asking for feedback, tips, and their methods will be most productive.

Of course, you have to experiment. Having been involved in science-y shit for so long, I came into composing music thinking that there was some magic method, some repeatable formula that could be applied to produce a tune. Nope. A lot of it is learning about the tools themselves and then applying the tools to your unique piece of music *AS NEEDED* to get the sound you want. And then you have to listen critically to other artists' tracks to really get a feel for what that sound actually is and what they're doing on the mixing side that you aren't.

Just as a starter, you need to learn about leveling, EQing, panning, stereo-imaging, single-band compression, multiband compression, and limiting for the basics. Maybe toss a little reverb in there, too, since it's used to ubiquitously and misused almost as much (I'm still learning to rein in my reverb). There are a slew of additional mastering tools that I haven't really cracked into much yet like, say, harmonic exciters. Again, just learn about what I've listed, and you can put out a pretty decent-sounding mix, although it might take several months of experimentation to pin down how to manipulate each aspect of basic mixing effectively.

Reading will absolutely help to clarify what tools are available, but experimentation with the tools once you know what they do is ultimately how everyone learns to use them.

Rozovian has a huge guide that's aimed at people who are just getting into the remixing scene. You're not going to learn what you need to learn just from reading but it's good to keep your mind active.

Can't seem to find where roz posted his guide...

Here, in R&C because I'm recruiting ppl to read, test, and evaluate it. It's a work in progress, but I think it's pretty comprehensive at this point. It's also written for ocr, so it covers a lot of ocr-relevant stuff that not many other guides and books do. I'm also a Logic user, btw.

I've got Dance Music Manual as well, it's a good resource tho it's obviously focused on dance genres. I think it's best when you know your toolbox and mostly just need some clarification on what the tools actually do and some pointers on dance genres. It's all greek before then, and once you're past that point you'll only find occasional useful tidbits in it.

No book or guide is a good substitute for experience, tho. Do stuff, get exp. :P