Zelda OoT: Fairy Fountain. Again.

ectogemia

School has been a tit, so it's been a while since I've worked on anything but originals. I finally had a little time tonight to revisit a remix from a while ago because my fiance fell asleep most fortuitously and unexpectedly.

So here's what I have goin' so far for this Fairy Fountain and Zelda's Lullaby remix with a sprinkling of the Song of Time for harmony. Ignore weird sustained note at 0:51.

LINKU

How u like?

Gorgeous soundscape you've got going here. Backing grooves get a bit repetitive. Maybe a changeup here or there, in one or the other or both? Kick/snare in first half seem a little hardcore for the delicate soundscape (drum patterns seem ok but sounds are very heavy). Fairy lead is beautiful and I love the writing. ZL portion is lovely. Second half drums work well, samples and patterns are good. Very nice song so far! What about intermingling the two themes, as it is now they are one after the other (want to avoid medley-itis if you can). (or, is the next section going to be FF again?)

Make up your mind. I mean, first you have trouble deciding on the scale you're using, and even the basic sound (short-adsr waveforms or delayed bells)... and then the heavy drums come in. Dude!

Remind me of one of the sweetest tracks I've ever written, the mood and soundscaping are quite similar. In other words, this is a really sweet track once it starts to find itself around 1:09.

Make up your mind. I mean, first you have trouble deciding on the scale you're using, and even the basic sound (short-adsr waveforms or delayed bells)... and then the heavy drums come in. Dude!

Remind me of one of the sweetest tracks I've ever written, the mood and soundscaping are quite similar. In other words, this is a really sweet track once it starts to find itself around 1:09.

Damn it, Rozo, I'm never sure if you're being sarcastic :P

In any case...

...No need to stay in a scale as long as the results are aesthetically pleasing, and they are. Plus, if I changed that second note in the bells, it wouldn't be the Song of Time anymore.

Drums are a bit heavier than I intended them to be, although I did want them to be strong in the midst of the rest of the mix which is decidedly reserved. I wrote and mixed what I have so far on my headphones. Having just listened to this the first time on speakers, I gotta say that I really didn't intend the kick to be so damn bassy D:

What did you mean by:

even the basic sound (short-adsr waveforms or delayed bells)
?

Not sure I'm getting what you identified as an issue here.

As always, your feedback is appreciated!

Argh, I should re-read my posts twice before re-checking that they're ok before posting.

You've got a really short-attack, short-release, full-sustain simple waveform playing while you also have some less simple synthesis going on with those bells, plus their effects. There's a bit of a disparity between them, which bothers me. I'd much rather have a slightly longer release, perhaps longer attack and lower sustain on the simpler instrument, probably some delay or reverb as well to make it fit better with the bells.

TL;DR: short-adsr waveforms *vs. delayed bells

Then there's some scale clashes. Clashes and/or awkward transitions to a different scale. No you don't have to stick to a single scale for the whole track. Yes, the scales kind'a have to work together if you're using more than one at any point. :P

Then there's the disparity between bass-heavy drums and the established delicate soundscape.

Scales, sounds, drums. There's disparities. It's not like you can't juxtapose things, it's just that the juxtaposition doesn't sound deliberate imo.

...is what I meant.

Argh, I should re-read my posts twice before re-checking that they're ok before posting.

You've got a really short-attack, short-release, full-sustain simple waveform playing while you also have some less simple synthesis going on with those bells, plus their effects. There's a bit of a disparity between them, which bothers me. I'd much rather have a slightly longer release, perhaps longer attack and lower sustain on the simpler instrument, probably some delay or reverb as well to make it fit better with the bells.

TL;DR: short-adsr waveforms *vs. delayed bells

Then there's some scale clashes. Clashes and/or awkward transitions to a different scale. No you don't have to stick to a single scale for the whole track. Yes, the scales kind'a have to work together if you're using more than one at any point. :P

Then there's the disparity between bass-heavy drums and the established delicate soundscape.

Scales, sounds, drums. There's disparities. It's not like you can't juxtapose things, it's just that the juxtaposition doesn't sound deliberate imo.

...is what I meant.

Ahhh, gotcha now. Much clearer. Thanks for the clarification. I'll fiddle with stuff and see how it all sounds. Agreed that I need to do something to the percussion.