Most frustrating/least satisfying games

Phonetic Hero

Okami was so immensely satisfying--it easily ranks in one of the top 3 games I have ever played ever... I'd highly recommend giving it another shot if possible. Also, having beaten it on both the PS2 and Wii, I can wholeheartedly recommend the PS2 version over the latter. Personally, I didn't have much trouble with the Wii version, but I can say that I did indeed enjoy the PS2 version more as it was certainly less finicky (and the controller didn't break immersion, as all Wiimote-controlled games tend to).

The ending to Borderlands deserves a mention as wholly unsatisfying, in my opinion.

Okami was so immensely satisfying--it easily ranks in one of the top 3 games I have ever played ever... I'd highly recommend giving it another shot if possible. Also, having beaten it on both the PS2 and Wii, I can wholeheartedly recommend the PS2 version over the latter. Personally, I didn't have much trouble with the Wii version, but I can say that I did indeed enjoy the PS2 version more as it was certainly less finicky (and the controller didn't break immersion, as all Wiimote-controlled games tend to).

I agree... I loved Okami... we played the first half straight through... then got stuck at Kaguya... I've tried so many times, daily for awhile, then once a week, then every other month... don't even remember where we were in the story anymore. Sucks. Maybe we'll give the PS version a try, one day.

For the moment I'm heavily into... Xenoblade! I'm loving this game.

True enough. The ending did suck but the game as a whole was so bloody much fun.

I think the only reason I enjoyed that ending was because I knew my friend was going to hate it so much when he finally got there after struggling with the game for so long. Very, very disappointed otherwise.

DJ Champion with the save during the credits though.

Ratchet and Clank All 4 One is a little disappointing for me as well. It is not nearly as tough as the previous titles. I understand that they needed to make it easier since its more about multiplayer teamwork, but come on!

Agreed. I also really despised how it really relied on teamwork as well.

Also, QWOP, anyone? 8O

I think the only reason I enjoyed that ending was because I knew my friend was going to hate it so much when he finally got there after struggling with the game for so long. Very, very disappointed otherwise.

DJ Champion with the save during the credits though.

Borderlands was just a very fun play through. Can't wait for II.

My funnest thing was to save my level up point attributes while my older brother was watching just to make him freak out. Whenever he wasn't watching I would obviously use them (no reason not to) but when he was I would just level up and keep on playing through with out adding an attribute in the build menu.

It bothered him so fucking bad. "Why won't you just pause it for one second and USE YOUR FUCKING POINTS!!"

Shit makes me want to go play it again. It was so bloody hilarious watching him tweak out.

Super Mario Fucking Sunshine.

Seriously. On both counts.

Those missions where Mario drops acid and loses his hydrojetpack resulted in a ton of shouting, cussing, punching, and controller throwing back in my undergrad apartment.

Then you get to the final boss after traveling through a volcano and fight some fat asshole in a toxic bathtub. Add in horrible voices and you have one hell of an unsatisfying ending.

XENOBLADE!!! yes that game does not belong in this thread because i have yet to find a frustrating part nor an unsatisfying one. and i've logged 90 hrs already.

Did you do the quest about rescuing the 2 High Entia from the mountain? I have no freaking clue how to get enough air to get up there, and missing means you have to go back to the start and run the whole 2 minutes back to the ice slope.

Damn your blood that's blasphemy! Ninja Gaiden Black and Gaiden II are like my favorite games ever.

I admit they can be hellishly frustrating though. But then that is how Ninja Gaiden games are suppose to be isn't it?

It's been a few years, but I remember enjoying Ninja Gaiden II a bit less than the first one too. I beat it (can't remember if I was on Path of the Warrior or Mentor), but I was kind of relieved when it was over. The worst thing about it was the camera angles: The game zoomed in a lot so you could see how awesome you were, except that meant you couldn't see the body parts that some werewolf behind the camera was about to throw at you. You'd think you're doing really well, and then all of a sudden...BAM! You get rocked in the face with a hefty torso that would have broken the speed limit on the Autobahn. It does a ridiculous amount of damage and knocks you off guard, and you immediately get torn to shreds afterward.

If I want to die before I ever see it coming, I'll play a game that mimics real life war. When I play a ninja game, I want to play a total badass capable of defeating anything without a scratch...as long as I don't make a totally avoidable mistake, of course. :-P Ninja Gaiden II didn't make me feel that badly though. At least it wasn't Barbie: That game frustrated me to no end when I was a kid, because it made me feel like a total moron getting trounced by a little girl's game.

Anyway, the least satisfying games I've ever played were dissatisfying mostly because they didn't live up to my expectations:

For instance, I've held for years that the worst purchase I ever made was Quest 64. I can't remember much of it, only that I beat it in 12 hours or so, but it was so generic that it felt long. I also received an early NES-caliber ending for my trouble. It probably wasn't actually bad enough to deserve my everlasting judgment, but I was ravenous for N64 RPG's by the time it came out, and it just couldn't deliver...disappointing.

The runner-up would be the Halo Anniversary Edition: The original Halo multiplayer has been a minor religion in my extended family for years, and we were all so pumped to finally play it on Xbox Live after years of it being the most fun - and only online-incompatible - Halo game. (It was also the only Halo with a single human gun that I could fairly call futuristic: The "God" pistol. That's how video game guns are supposed to be in future settings with FTL travel...you know, more proficient than they are today, such that assault rifles don't take thirty shots to kill someone.) Anyway, all our dreams were cruelly shattered when it turned out the Halo Anniversary Edition would only include revamped single player (better graphics, narrower field of view, and strangely breaking some of the facial animation in cutscenes) and Halo: Reach multiplayer with cheap imitations of a few Halo maps. "Least satisfying" indeed, in the sense that they delivered everything but what we wanted.

The most frustrating games I've ever played - in and of themselves - are probably all older games with poor play control. I've repressed many of my memories here, but the Castlevania series comes to mind: It's one of the most beloved and classic series in all of gaming, but the controls were always so restrictive (especially around stairs) that I never could got very far before gently putting down my controller before I snapped and murdered it. Medal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty would be a more modern game I can't play for the same reason. I don't know why they're so difficult for me to get the hang of though...so many gamers love both and have no issues.

OH, WAIT: Speaking of issues, the most frustrating game of all for me is Portal, because it's such a fantastically good game...and I can't play it without feeling horrendously nauseous. I'll start to feel sick if I even WATCH it for more than a few minutes, and the feeling won't go away for a while either. Any game based on Valve's Source engine (except Counterstrike: Source IIRC) seems to do this to me...or at least, Half-Life 2 did as well. I only got an hour or two into that before calling it quits forever. It probably has to do with the narrow field of view. I can't change it in Portal (Xbox), and Half-Life 2 kept fighting me and reverting whenever I tried to change it back in the old days (wrong command series probably, but I just stopped caring before figuring it out). Regardless, I hate that freaking brown note of a game engine, and I used to play twitch shooters like Unreal/Unreal Tournament for thousands of hours (not in one sitting) without issue. There's another recent game that made me a little queasy too, and it surprisingly wasn't a Source engine game, but I can't remember what game it was. All I remember was it only happened once, and it wasn't half as bad.

I never played E.T. though. :-D

Frustrating: Donkey Kong 64 was hella fun until the end and you need those two coins to trigger the final boss. The Rare coin wasn't too bad (you had to get something like 15,000 points in Jetpac) but the Nintendo coin...you had to beat the original Donkey Kong. Twice. And the second playthrough was a significantly harder re-design.

To get all the way to the end of a fun game to be interuppted by a two-hour retro rage fest was like a bucket of ice water to the face.

That's exactly how far I got in the game too. I never even came close to beating Donkey Kong original. I'd say before that, it's one of the most challenging and satisfying Rare games ever made though.

And what the heck happened if you freed that massive guy from his cage!? I always wondered that.

That's exactly how far I got in the game too. I never even came close to beating Donkey Kong original. I'd say before that, it's one of the most challenging and satisfying Rare games ever made though.

And what the heck happened if you freed that massive guy from his cage!? I always wondered that.

Are you talking about Chunky Kong? He just becomes the fifth member of the team. IIRC, you beat the original Donkey Kong once to free Chunky (or maybe to get a golden banana), but if you go back and beat it again on the harder setting you get a Nintendo Coin (one of two used to open the final door to K. Rool). I do not blame anyone for giving up on that stupid coin, I only persevered because my OCD-ness would not allow me to quit a game I was so close to completing.

Nah dude I think he's talking about... big crocodile guy. Klumsy?

When you free him he goes 'wa-hey' and does... something to let you get to the final boss. Opens up a thing on an island? I'm going by childhood memories here, trying not to cheat with the internet.

Also I have no idea how I did that, looking back. Took forever, of course, I remember being stuck for weeks, but I guess I was just a determined child.

Ohhhhh.....

Yeah. K. Lumsy. Once you open the final door to K. Rool with the two coins, he takes off in an aircraft and flies around the island, but he leaves the final boss key behind. That key opens K. Lumsy's cage, and he runs around the island and swats K. Rool's ship out of the air, allowing you to fight him.

For me, it'd have to be, hands-down, Darkstone... although that was primarily due to the fact that the copy I had (a friend's) had a giant scratch down the middle that made 1 out of the 3 random dungeons each of the 7 areas could generate unplayable. Which, given that you have to complete all 7 dungeons to advance to the final dungeon, meant I spent a LOT of time playing through 3-4 dungeons only to discover that the 5th or 6th was bugged and I'd have to restart the game.

Think it took me three weeks to beat because of that.

Ohhhhh.....

Yeah. K. Lumsy. Once you open the final door to K. Rool with the two coins, he takes off in an aircraft and flies around the island, but he leaves the final boss key behind. That key opens K. Lumsy's cage, and he runs around the island and swats K. Rool's ship out of the air, allowing you to fight him.

That sounds like a memory I would've enjoyed having :D

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (on the unsatisfying front)

Between the game and the new graphics card I spent about $400 in order to play this game. That initial entry cost along with reviews/expectations made it almost impossible to enjoy this game. Come to find out I personally just do not like the faceless/emotionless characters in some american RPG's.

Also add just about any MMORPG to the list for me too. (looking at you FFXI !!!)

Really? Thats one of my favorite N64 games. Where are you, and what puzzle is it?

Oh, I love the Goemon games too. Just this part stumped me, so I've never been able to finish it.

It's been a couple years since I picked it up, but it was a part where you have to find statues that look different from the other statues, but they all look the same to me. I figured I'd do it by process of deduction, but it seems the statues I'm supposed to find are randomized every time you enter the stage. I figured I might have missed something in town that would've helped me but never found anything and gave up after a couple weeks.