Most frustrating/least satisfying games

Phonetic Hero

So I'm on the last boss of Gradius 4, a game I've been playing since I was about 10, and I've never been this far, ever. I HAVE TO BEAT IT. But it's so fucking retardedly difficult, I feel like I've been punched in the dick repeatedly. It got me thinking, what are the least satisfying or most frustrating games you've played, and why?

For me, If a game is so god awful, I immediately stop playing it. End of story. As such, I have never had any memorable experience with any sort of games like that.

Except for that fucking Zapdos from Pokemon Red/Blue. That goddamn Zapdos, lack of a Master Ball, and a Catch Rate of 3 is the most frustrating, aggravating single event in my entire life. I was crying for hours (I was a child mind you :D)

Now it's Gradius 3. Fuck this game, seriously. They start you off slower than shit, and I'm at a level that you can't even cheat to get past because there are exactly 1,000,000,000 flying rocks hitting you in the face that go through force fields, and when you shoot them, they split into three. What the fuck were the level designers thinking?

And I can't stop playing a frustrating game... especially this one, because I started playing when I was a kid, and EVERY game was hard then. So now, I'm all serious'd about it, and there's no fucking way anyone ever enjoyed either of these Gradius games past level 2

Now it's Gradius 3. Fuck this game, seriously. They start you off slower than shit, and I'm at a level that you can't even cheat to get past because there are exactly 1,000,000,000 flying rocks hitting you in the face that go through force fields, and when you shoot them, they split into three. What the fuck were the level designers thinking?

And I can't stop playing a frustrating game... especially this one, because I started playing when I was a kid, and EVERY game was hard then. So now, I'm all serious'd about it, and there's no fucking way anyone ever enjoyed either of these Gradius games past level 2

Arcade Gradius III?

I made it past level two once. But only once.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. The game kinda plays itself. You just point your character in the general direction you want to go and double-tap A whenever you see an enemy. gg, u win.

Tales of the Abyss. It just doesn't give me a reason to care. For every even that I should care about, 10 more paragraphs about Fons and Fonic Arts and Hyperresonance and ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

After a childhood full of JRPGs, I got super sick of the stagnant genre and moved on. Several years later, I decided to give this game a try because of the rave reviews. What a piece of crap. Totally agreed.

The first Pokemon Pinball game. I think the game is programmed to play against you as you try to catch a Pokemon. You can spend an hour in the outer loop but if a Pokemon you have to catch appears there, it seemed impossible to get the ball back in that loop. And the ball would always magically line up so perfectly down the middle that neither flipper would be able to touch it. Thanks to this game, I no longer have the original Gameboy. Why? Because I punched the screen out of frustration due to those two points happening way too often.

Constructor for the ps1, keeping the nasty looking public happy by wasting money on them, keeping the town crime free and clean....urgh it was less fun then batman and robin for the ps1 But at least had an excuse of being adapted from a shite movie.

Constructor was so bad i gave it away.

I'm obviously weirder than most other people on the forums, but I shall bring Spyro: Season of Ice (GBA) into the 'frustration' related category.

While the isometric gameplay was a good idea to put a naturally free-roaming console platformer onto a handheld, it did however result in huge navigation difficulties that made it difficult to keep track of where you should be going. Put that on top of the ridiculous requirements to get to the following world hubs and the fact that you practically need EVERYTHING before even fighting the final boss once, not to mention the ridiculous difficulty of the Speedways even in comparison to the console versions, and you have a painfully hard collectathon that may even make the guys at Rareware blush. I have only ever 100%'d that game without cheats once, and even then I had to look up maps >_>

Fable 2. I'm not even mad about the price I paid (5 bucks)

I'm just mad about everything that game tried to say it was. Every time it gave me a 'choice' I just went crazy.

It pretty much embodied all the things I have hated about modern games. Moral systems, advertise choices when it's only yes or no, and an extremely unsatisfying ending. (This isn't a knock at Mass Effect 3, havn't played it so I can judge. But these theme's show up in other games.) I felt NO connection to my character (Which they were trying to make me project myself into the character) all I could see was the absolutely blank expression on the face, not saying a word.

Spoilers: And that final boss was a complete joke, they let you aim a gun at the man who ruined your life. I decided to spare him, so what do they do? Have someone else shoot him. I hate that game so much.

I'm going to second Tales of the Abyss.

I love the Tales series, and I tried to stick with it for as long as I could, but geez. Between the unlikeable characters, the slow as a turtle story, and the worse world map in gaming history, I gave up.

Thankfully, the Tales team made it up with Tales of Vesperia.

Fable 2. I'm not even mad about the price I paid (5 bucks)

I'm just mad about everything that game tried to say it was. Every time it gave me a 'choice' I just went crazy.

It pretty much embodied all the things I have hated about modern games. Moral systems, advertise choices when it's only yes or no, and an extremely unsatisfying ending. (This isn't a knock at Mass Effect 3, havn't played it so I can judge. But these theme's show up in other games.) I felt NO connection to my character (Which they were trying to make me project myself into the character) all I could see was the absolutely blank expression on the face, not saying a word.

Spoilers: And that final boss was a complete joke, they let you aim a gun at the man who ruined your life. I decided to spare him, so what do they do? Have someone else shoot him. I hate that game so much.

I have never in my gaming life felt "connected" to my character, and have never understood this craze among WRPG players to feel as such. Instead of giving me these choices that are relatively transparent(yes or no morality a la Mass Effect) which to me personally dilutes the potential for an interesting character arc, why not create an interesting character that I can see making decisions and growing in different ways through the game?

Ninja Gaiden 2 for me. Never in all my life have I encountered a game that left me so conflicted about wanting to play onwards. I loved the first one so much because it was frustrating in a "stop button mashing and learn to play, noob" way. The second game made me stop halfway through because it was so cheap, and so stupid, that I could not bring myself to finish it. I think the only reason I persisted even that far was because I kept lying to myself saying that it looked and sounded like the first one, so clearly it had to get better. :banghead:

Phonetic Hero, it's clear you never made it to the final boss of Gradius 4, because if you did you certainly wouldn't be complaining about difficulty.

ho ho

Yeah yeah, There were like FOUR times where I was like "Oh, this HAS to be the end"

But fuck me, it wasn't. First was obviously the part where you have to fight 5 fucking ships IN A ROW, then that asshole red thing that takes up an entire room, THEN WTF THERE WAS MORE PAST THAT?! Fuck it... I went to bed, cause I have drumline today and I need to be awake enough to make the newbs feel like crap :P

Amagon. If you've ever played it, then you know. It's pretty fucking evil.

Damn, from the guy who I WATCHED go through the Silver Surfer?! Count me out

I have never in my gaming life felt "connected" to my character, and have never understood this craze among WRPG players to feel as such. Instead of giving me these choices that are relatively transparent(yes or no morality a la Mass Effect) which to me personally dilutes the potential for an interesting character arc, why not create an interesting character that I can see making decisions and growing in different ways through the game?

You know what, I was way more connected to my Fallout New Vegas character than my Fallout 3 character. And it was all due to the fact that I wasn't trying to project myself as the main character. Instead of doing what I would do, I tried to do what I think my character would.

Saucy Mcfrugalfist... that was the most interesting pugilist in new Vegas.

As for the only time I've seen a good/bad system work even in the slightest was Infamous 2. Honestly they should of just given the option right at the beginning if you were gonna be good or bad, so they didn't have to come up with obvious choices to the good/bad stuff, and just had the character choose it, then you do it as the player.