Reorg patterns and distorted sample

Two questions, or rather, a question and a problem:

1. How do you easily reorganize patters in FL 10? I am looking at the list in the F8 menu on the left, and I see how you can "move up" or "move down" individually, manually, but is there an easier way? Also the list in the F6 menu, but it's about the same.

2. For some reason, it is distorting some of my samples when I load them. I make a new sampler or audio clip, and load the sample, and then it sounds very distorted. Whether I use it in a pattern, or in the channel settings if i click on the waveform. It sounds all messed up and consistently messed up in the same way. Example:

Original sample: http://diotrans.com/random/ohhsample.wav

Distorted (I rendered a pattern with it): http://diotrans.com/random/ohhrender.mp3

It isn't consistent; most of the samples loaded correctly but then it was like I couldn't get any of the OHHs to sound normal. I am sad. I would like to use OHHs.

OK Palpable gave me a suggestion that fixed the problem:

On the sample settings box, under time stretching, right click the "time" dial and select (none). I thought there was some kind time stretch thing going on, but I was looking in the drop-down box next to that and not finding any "none" option. Many thanks Vinnie, it works now!!

Fun fact: The reason that happens is because some samples have built-in tempo data. FL reads this data weirdly sometimes and tries to stretch the sample to match the project tempo. You WANT this to happen for things like drumloops, but not oneshots.

Ahhhh that makes sense. I've already memorized some of the samples that this happens to because I use them frequently, but never thought of why it actually occurred in the first place...

• 3 weeks later...
1. How do you easily reorganize patters in FL 10? I am looking at the list in the F8 menu on the left, and I see how you can "move up" or "move down" individually, manually, but is there an easier way? Also the list in the F6 menu, but it's about the same.

I've been wondering the same thing. The keyboard shortcut shown in the F6 menu control+shift+up only selects a different pattern. I tried it in the browser, F8, and I got it to move the pattern, but not always. It only seems to work occasionally. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I also looked in the help files, and searched on Google, but couldn't find another way. You might get better results asking on the Image-Line forums.

To move patterns around in FL:

1. in step sequencer, select the pattern you wish to move

2. put cursor in the black bar, just to the right of the down arrow next to pattern name (step sequencer must be "active," so make sure it is the last thing you clicked on before doing the next steps or it won't work)

3. hold "shift"

4. use mouse scroll wheel up or down to move pattern (again, your cursor must remain in the black bar area for it to work)

Another nifty trick you can do, you can create pattern group names that don't hold any information, by simply naming a pattern something with "---" in it. I have my patterns organized as follows:

---drums---

drums 1

drums 2

---bass---

bass 1

bass 2

And etc. Makes your patterns easy to find and work with.

Thanks Kristina! So that's why my method only worked at seemingly random times, my cursor just happened to be in the correct spot. Plus, using the mouse wheel is much easier than pushing control, shift, up/down. I never would have thought to put my cursor in that specific area.

You can always ask a question like that on the FL Studio forum. I had asked that exact question a couple of months ago and received the answer in five minutes from a "power user." They are very nice and helpful over there.

I could have, but I honestly didn't have much of an issue moving patterns manually, not enough to ask. Thanks for the tip.