Ska Horns?

Blur

Heyo everyone

(first off, I hope this is the right place for this, sorry if not)

Anyways, for quite some time I've been looking for some awesome ska horn vst. Usually all the trumpets/trombone/sax I find seems geared toward orchestral...and that's kinda it. The big issue for me is that I'm extremely limited for what I can get, since I honestly only have Garageband on Mac until I bum up enough money for something better.

That all said, does anyone have any pointers or know of anything great to get? Maybe a way to make orchestral horns more ska oriented?

I would also like a good, dedicated brass vst. I have been using Miroslav (through Sampletank), which has some decent samples, but ST is a pain to load and sometimes crashes my daw altogether (also, it's expensive). I looked at Wivi Band, it is reasonably priced but the instruments are all modelled not sampled, and you've really got to know what you're doing (I don't) to make them work. They do have a demo you could try... I tried it but ST sounded better. Hhhmmm. So I'm stuck with my ST for now.

As long as you only have GB, you'll be limited in the sounds you can use. No VST. No Kontakt libraries.

You can, however, use some soundfont formats (haven't used them in a while, don't remember which), through the built-in DLSMusicDevice, and there must be free AU samplers for loading raw samples like wav and aif.

If I were you, I'd grab a few different soundfont formats and find instructions on how to install them so GB can use them. Once you know which formats work, look for all kinds of brass samples for them, and use the ones that fit the tracks the best, whether they say ska, orchestral, or something else.

Another big issue with this that I've noticed is that ska is a lot about speed and loudness, like fanfare, whereas brass VSTs I've found are mostly geared toward rhythmic parts of symphonic pieces, which are much softer.

That being said, if there is a good trumpet/trombone VST with adjustable intonation/accenting, I'd love to find it.

Yeah, =/. I usually just have to stick to staccato trumpets and stuff for the fast attack and just sharp and punchy horn sound. Even then though, there's always that problem of wanting the complicated horn sounds like fluttering and growling and junk. I can kinda get by with these trumpets, but I usually can't even approach saxes.

Too bad the actual instruments are expensive, let alone buying great mics to capture them.