Has Technology Hurt Music

tweex

Reading Tweek's blog post and his short descriptions on professional experiences, it sounds to me that it's not much of a problem directly caused by technology but more of a project management problem. The clients, or the colleagues you work for want to take more of control in their own hands, and it's this newer technology that makes it ever more tempting for them. Then they lose sight of what it is to properly run a project.

Put in a different analogy, I've heard of a couple clients who are upset with the stark simplicity of a finished website, or a logo because "they can just hammer it out themselves in a few hours". Good designers do not make busy websites, though- they make websites where every element is snugly fit in its own place and respects all the other portions of the design, and do a good job prioritizing what parts of the composition are important.

Some time ago, a lot of web designers paid poor attention to function and got too obsessed with tech. Flash websites were THE SHIZ in 2002 and portfolios were padded with them. But our own gear-lust waned, designers became more conservative and started following stricter practices. I think the only temptation to going back to making those sorts of sites is because of the increase in broadband, but most know better than that.

The bad news happens when exclusively technically-minded or management-minded folk try to design. I see it fairly often. These guys will always be behind the curve on how to use new tools in moderation. Design students tend to produce less busy-looking designs, and enlarge elements that are more important while still following some set of guidelines. They impose their OWN limitations, in spite of the advancing technology that now lets us use less lines of code to do crazier layouts. It's tricky as hell to consistently turn arbitrary guidelines into well-designed forms.

I think the article is spot on. The "gear" fetish is so widespread that many people feel like they can only make good music if they have the most expensive equipment ever made. They won't consider any other options first.

And then there are these people who frown upon others who don't use the latest version of FL Studio for example. Of course you can have new features in an upgrade and all that, but in the end practice makes perfect and nothing else will do the talking on that matter.

I remember FruityLoops 2.7. I don't want to go back to that. Please?