MarioKart64 - title theme remix - Sunday Drive

Here's a small part of WIP remix of the MarioKart64 Title screen dubbed - "Sunday Drive". I haven't really added reverb or other effects in yet as I'm still working on the composing the rest of the track atm but I wanted to see what other thought of it so far and get some feedback. It's really just a re-orchestration right now but I hope to really spice it up!

-Edited out dead link-

I loved it up until :14. Then it sounded kinda generic and void. Keep the cello(?) doing whole notes then for good balance.

As you said, you haven't done anything with reverb or velocity yet, so I cannot really comment much further beyond that. I will save comments for a lengthened arrangement and/or a mixed track.

Ah....nostalgia! :)!!

Ok...so, the strings at 0:14 seem to be swelling...my guess is you put a slow strings patch on instead of a strings patch...so somehow, you should reduce the swelling on them, especially in the higher register. It gets on my nerves pretty fast. I CAN'T HAVE THIS HAPPEN TO ME IN NOSTALGIA MODE ;-)

Also, that strange synth that seems to have the melody which is panned left...could you change that synth? Something about sounds to compressed...sort of like a rock organ sound recorded from back in the day. This might just be me...but I really don't like the sound of that.

Otherwise, I like the style you picked up here, a nice little elevator music thing, Sunday drive, I like it.

The nice Rhodes piano about where you left off in the background made me happy to see what comes next. Looking forward to it! :-)

Ok here's the next phase of the WIP. Here I'm really to get a nice classic kind of swing with the piano to give the melody a nice flow. I still haven't done any kind of effects really for the major instruments and I'm not sure I will since I kind of like how it sounds plain. I'm going to try and have the piano go into a solo rant but I'm working out the melody for that. I replaced that synth for a smoother one as you suggested and I think it helps. I tried to fix the strings but I'm not sure I quite fixed the swelling as much as I wanted.

Please keep the feedback coming! I really appreciate it!

http://soundcloud.com/skyriderx/mariokart-64-title-remix

Ok here's the next phase of the WIP. Here I'm really to get a nice classic kind of swing with the piano to give the melody a nice flow. I still haven't done any kind of effects really for the major instruments and I'm not sure I will since I kind of like how it sounds plain. I'm going to try and have the piano go into a solo rant but I'm working out the melody for that.

Nice! Like what you're doing. I think a solo would be a good idea. You could also put a sax solo there...think it would fit nicely.

I replaced that synth for a smoother one as you suggested and I think it helps. I tried to fix the strings but I'm not sure I quite fixed the swelling as much as I wanted.

The synth itself is better, but at the beginning of the attack when the synth notes come in, there is an annoying sound, slightly panned to the left (right of the synth itself). Kind of like a grinding. Try to fix that.

Please keep the feedback coming! I really appreciate it!

For sure. I love listening, and I'm sure you love comments. 8)

eck, delete that first link.

...same might have to be said with the second link too.

Mute the drums. They're programmed waaay to baaaaadly.

Everything else in the mix seems really vanilla and generic sounding too. Nothing really goes anywhere.... what kind of style are you going for? From the sound of the tune, my guess is you juuuuust started to remix/produce, so my advice would be to simply experiment with what you have. Don't try to create a remix, unless it's for personal nostalgia, but learn the program and what everything does. Get creative and try different things. Practice practice practice.