Looking for a certain MIDI

Make it yourself.

Omfg I'm so tired of seeing this elitist response whenever someone is looking for guitar tabs or something. Either help or don't. Not everyone has been playing for years and can play by ear. I can play by ear, but if I can find sheet music, tab or MIDI of it, why the fuck would I waste my time figuring out the same song someone else has already figured out?

I do know of a MIDI, but it's for a metal arrangement of the track. Not sure how much use it would be to you and I'm not super familiar with the track. It could provide you with the melody at least?

PM me if you want it, can't say how much it will help you though.

I practically worship the tallon overworld theme from metroid prime, and I hate that there's no MIDI of it on vgmusic.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but to me Tallon Overworld theme sounds a lot like the Brinstar theme from original Metroid. If that's indeed the case there seems to plenty of midi files from that going around.

Feel free to correct me while I wake up and initiate my caffein intake. :sleepdepriv:

Omfg I'm so tired of seeing this elitist response whenever someone is looking for guitar tabs or something. Either help or don't. Not everyone has been playing for years and can play by ear. I can play by ear, but if I can find sheet music, tab or MIDI of it, why the fuck would I waste my time figuring out the same song someone else has already figured out?

Just ignore Snappleman.

A more curious topic is how Jordan did not find the Tallon Overworld MIDIs on vgmusic. I found both of them:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/mp2d_TallonOverworld1.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/TallonOverworld.mid

Granted, one is a slight rearrange, but those should be what the OP is looking for.

Just ignore Snappleman.

A more curious topic is how Jordan did not find the Tallon Overworld MIDIs on vgmusic. I found both of them:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/mp2d_TallonOverworld1.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/TallonOverworld.mid

Granted, one is a slight rearrange, but those should be what the OP is looking for.

Mystery solved.

Meteo Xavier wins

Thanks to everyone who actually helped!

To Meteo Xavier: I actually listened to both of those, but someone how missed that the first one had the melody later on. In my defense, it starts with crateria before moving to tallon overworld. The second one is the theme of the same area later in the game, and it doesn't have the same melodies as the first one. Thanks for bringing the first midi to my attention.

To rBrn: The tallon overworld theme is brinstar in the sense that it's a remix of the theme. It's slowed down, and modified though, so a brinstar Midi wouldn't be sufficient.

To SnappleMan: Get a life. Why bother posting anything if you're not going to help? I can't make it myself, or I wouldn't have posted something in the way I did. I'll admit to that, but I don't need people like you acting arrogant. Besides, did you even listen to the song in question? It's not exactly easy to play by ear, especially for someone who has never transposed by ear. Either help or go away.

I'm off to work on a mix of this track now. Yay!

I was most certainly not being sarcastic. There's nothing elitist about knowing the basics of music... especially if you're gonna be posting in a music composition & production workshop forum. :) Kids these days, I swear.

Transcribing many songs in their entirety completely by ear often requires much more than a "basic" understanding of music theory and it takes tons of practice to get good at.

Just because you know your theory doesn't automatically make you good at playing by ear either. It's a skill that develops over time as you listen to and play more and more music.

If there's any skill people should be practising, it's sight-reading. So many people can't even read sheet music now it's sad. Like that joke goes, "How do you get a death metal guitarist to slow down?....Put some sheet music in front of him."

Transcribing many songs in their entirety completely by ear often requires much more than a "basic" understanding of music theory and it takes tons of practice to get good at.

Just because you know your theory doesn't automatically make you good at playing by ear either. It's a skill that develops over time as you listen to and play more and more music.

If there's any skill people should be practising, it's sight-reading. So many people can't even read sheet music now it's sad. Like that joke goes, "How do you get a death metal guitarist to slow down?....Put some sheet music in front of him."

In all my many years of me making a living as a musician I've never once had to sight read.

I recently got Omnisphere. I downloaded a midi to a vgm song I like, just so I didn't HAVE to write it... I wanted to just practice with my new sounds on a piece I knew. I only ended up using 7 notes in the midi... and a full remix wrote itself on top of them. The midi inspired me massively although I barely used it. I suppose it was sort of a safety net. I think it is ok to start with a midi, for whatever purpose you need. Of course in the end result, the judges would never pass a suped-up midi, so Jordan as long as you are aware of that, midi yourself silly. :-)

Like I said, just ignore Snappleman. That is most certainly not a basic of music. Completely re-creating a music piece through an inferior channel on ear alone is pretty advanced and takes at least a year of practice (YMMV) to do, particularly as its largely been proven that people have a wide range of even potential to grab notes in the first place.

No doubt if one can learn it, it's like the holy grail of music skill and completely invaluable and it's definitely something every serious musician should work towards if they can - but that alone does not make it a basic or even a requirement. Learning sheet music is a basic and not many professional musicians today even do that.

Don't listen to arrogant, elitist bullshit like that. Works towards that in your own time after you've gained levels in these other methods.

I wonder what jordanrooben is gonna do with all these fish he's being given. Maybe after he eats them all he'll realize that someone should have taught him how to catch his own. :)

But yeah, I guess I am really elitist and arrogant to suggest that someone ought to actually do something musical and not just load a MIDI and change some patches.

Even if you don't like his blunt tone, Snappleman is right. It is infinitely better to focus your efforts on self improvement, and at least attempt with the best of your ability to transcribe, than it is to ask for others to do the work for you. Back in the day when I used to download MIDIs to see how they were made, I often thought to myself that I should be doing this manually to improve my skills. I can't play incredibly great or transcribe anything by ear in a moment's notice just yet, but my skills have increased greatly and it's only because I took my personal development seriously.

Why are you talking about instrument performance ethics in a thread about a Metroid Prime MIDI?

Transcribing songs isn't really as hard as your making it out to be. Of course it is for verbatim transcriptions, but you won't ever get those unless they're from the composers themselves. Recorded music makes us hear notes that weren't even written because of frequency clashes and accumulations.

My point is, "make your own" isn't exactly the best advice if you want a verbatim transcription, but "you can't make your own unless your an advanced music theory enthusiast" is bull.

but people don't always have the time/patience/will to do so

If you ever want to improve, being a good musician requires time/will/patience.

I'm not arguing in favor of not helping this guy when he wants a MIDI, but there's no issue with what Snappleman is saying. He is giving sound (though blunt) advice.

Again I reiterate... I've started by downloading a midi more than once. Call it training wheels, safety net, whatever. I've never used an entire midi for anything, maybe only one part, or a couple of bars. It has gotten me started, given me ideas, given me courage, given me a push. From a few bars or notes, I've taken off on songs in a way I couldn't without that headstart. I can't see how there is anything wrong with this, especially for someone new to composing.

I would only caution against using an entire midi for something... that won't do much for you... and is a bad habit for sure. Use parts of it, get ideas, change it up, learn to be flexible.

Is there any difference between using a midi sparingly, and doing a remix of an existing melody? In both cases isn't one using previously created material to launch their own original-ish work from?

A well-rounded musician will know how to transcribe, and ultimately, anyone serious about remixing should learn that skill, or at least something comparable like being able to deconstruct a song into chords and notes in your head, or pick it out on a piano.

For a beginner though, it's not as essential. There's nothing wrong with using a MIDI as a way of getting started. If the thing you want to do first is choose sounds and make them sound realistic, or rearrange the original and make your own additions to that, that's not wrong. Make sure you learn what you can from that, and recognize that using a MIDI will give you a head start but will ultimately hold you back, but don't force yourself to learn theory and transcription before you've ever done anything else if it's going to kill your enjoyment of music or demotivate you.

There's definitely nothing wrong with it. I never said there was. It's funny though, how the most insecure people come out of the woodwork to right away be so defensive about me suggesting that he do it himself.

People get defensive because your initial comment comes across as abrasive and flippant. You could've said, "You really should do it yourself, because transcribing the MIDI helps with your arrangement. As you learn how the song is constructed you naturally come up with ideas on where you feel it should go." No one would've attacked that if you'd opened with it.

People get defensive because your initial comment comes across as abrasive and flippant. You could've said, "You really should do it yourself, because transcribing the MIDI helps with your arrangement. As you learn how the song is constructed you naturally come up with ideas on where you feel it should go." No one would've attacked that if you'd opened with it.

Hah! You've been here long enough to know that no matter how you present something, certain people will get defensive over it. :)

Hah! You've been here long enough to know that no matter how you present something, certain people will get defensive over it. :)

True, but you've been here long enough to know that the style in which you post has at least *some* affect on how people take your message ;)