User ID: 35078

Submission Information:

Game: The legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Ballad of the Windfish'

Name of Arrangement: 'Dreams of Home'

Name of Song Arranged:

' Ballad of the Windfish'

Link to Original:

Comments:

Hi there OCRemix, I have another violin/piano collab for judgement!

Here is 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, played by Aivi Tran/waltzforluma and myself whilst I was holidaying in SF. It is one of my favourite tracks from the game, and possibly out of all the Zelda games I've played. I've always wondered why there had not been a more classical approach to this tune, since it's style and structure really lends itself well to acoustic instruments.

But anyway...this song uses intimate answer/call sections between the violin and piano with an emphasis on phrasing. It is also one of those songs that remind me when my music teachers always said that you had to 'play' a rest. But anyway, other elements I used for my part included harmonics/flautando. These techniques were used to convey more of a airy/dreamy quality to the song.

In regards to Aivi's part, I really enjoyed the harmonies which she brought out, and her elegant legato phrasing really set the tone at the beginning of the piece.

Even though we could have had a more technically sound recording (since decided to learn,play,record in about an hour) I think this recording captured a lot of the emotions I get when I listen to the original.

Aivi thought of the name 'Dreams of Home', and we chose it because it is relevant to the game's storyline and she said that she thinks of home when she listens to this song.

Anyway, here are some quotes from Aivi's YT description =)

'This is my favorite duet of ours, the sweet and haunting "Ballad of the Wind Fish" from Link's Awakening. We jammed it out by ear to figure out our arrangement before recording it.'

'I got really emotional while I was playing this - it all just felt very genuine.'

Anyway, thanks for reading/listening/watching:

Download Link(MP3 VBR):

Video Link (of our collab):

Thanks for your time,

Chris

Oh man, this song blows by so quickly! Objectively, 2:34 is long enough to cover a full range of musical ideas and conclude properly, but I really would have liked to hear a little bit more here.

This is pretty clearly over the bar though, arrangement is pretty conservative but the performance itself contains plenty of nuances and flourishes that personalize this to the level that OCR requires.

Absolutely love it guys, and good job Aivi for finally submitting something! :-D

YES

Great interplay between the piano and violin, with Chris's piano adding a lot of new writing ideas to really compliment Aivi's rendition of the source and add that much needed interpretive dimension to it.

It's relatively straightforward, but beautiful and expressive. It's short, it's sweet, it definitely gets the job done. Nice collab. :nicework:

YES

• 1 month later...