Jacob Diaz

http://djjd.bandcamp.com

My UserID: Jakesnke17: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=28914

Submission Information

Mega Man 9

"Abstract Bond"

Mega Man 9 "Concrete Man"

Source:

Hey, you guys...seems I'm still going the Mega Man route with the submissions I've been bringing forth, can't get enough of the stuff I suppose. Anyway, a while back Darkesword was throwing together a Concrete Man Remix Album and despite how fast I was working on this remix, I couldn't get it finished in time before I had to move to Los Angeles...so, naturally, I put it aside to continue work on it later and now 6 months have passed and here we are. This one is a little different than my other two submissions. I was going for a jazzy, chippish vibe layered with lots of smooth bass. When I was listening to the album, I didn't hear anything quite like it...so hopefully it's worth listening to. Thanks again. :D

• 2 months later...

Timestamping this one to my tastes of source I count.

0:11-0:12 (I know, lol)

0:36-1:09

1:28-1:52

1:55-2:02

2:12-2:19

2:30-3:03

Larry would probably count less than that, as some of those connections are a bit tenuous at times, but I'm comfortable saying this is squeaking by the 50% mark here. I felt like the arrangement overall was a little understated here, and the relative shortness + the understated made me wanting more by the end. That being said, the arrangement has some nice countermelodies and the arrangement did a lot of expansion and interpretation. The overall laid-back feel was a nice departure from the original as well.

Production is clear, and overall the levels were pretty good. I'd have suggested bringing the piano back just a touch, and adjusting the reverb just a little to get it to fit into the soundscape better, but that's a pretty small nitpick. I wasn't really digging some of the whooshy sound effects you used; they encroached a bit too much into the arrangement for me and didn't really add anything when they did. Overall I felt that the soundscape did also feel a bit same-y throughout the entire piece, but I also didn't really mind that as much.

It's a lot of little things, and I don't feel like they really add up to a NO here. I'll also admit to not being blown away (mostly due to the sparser use of the source), but I think there's a lot that people will enjoy out of this mix, and am OK with giving this a nod. Good luck on the rest of the judging!

YES (borderline)

the drums feel weak, and things are a bit sparse, but it just brings attention to all the cool and subtle synth acrobatics that are occuring, which is a decent tradeoff. I'd liked for the snare to have a bit more crack to it, and the kick more punch, however.

The arrangement is pretty fun and while it goes into the occasional liberal territory, I am feeling that the source is cominant.

Overall i'm not completely blown away by this, but I think it's a fun arrangement that has some creative and unique ideas, and I fun throwback feel.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

Cool arrangement, I was digging it. Nothing too out there in terms of how this was approached but lots of new details and additions. Some cool sounds like the distorted synth used in the intro. Source usage wasn't even close to an issue for me given how the chords were used.

Unfortunately, the first section which brings in the source was the weakest section of the song, and it always hurts to have a section like that be what kicks your song off, so to speak. The lead was too quiet and got drowned out when other instruments came in (the same lead worked way better in the outro), and the piano sounded like it was in a totally different room - not integrated well at all. After those flubs, the song kept a reasonably high quality, and the integration of chippy FX and the wispy outro were highlights. The drums could have been stronger and the balance was a little too focused on the highs, but both were minor issues that didn't hamper my enjoyment. I think I'll go ahead and give you the last YES on this, but it's a borderline call. I could easily see some other judges rejecting this on the basis of those weaker moments but there was enough strength here for me to overlook it.

YES (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...
Timestamping this one to my tastes of source I count.

0:11-0:12 (I know, lol)

0:36-1:09

1:28-1:52

1:55-2:02

2:12-2:19

2:30-3:03

Larry would probably count less than that, as some of those connections are a bit tenuous at times, but I'm comfortable saying this is squeaking by the 50% mark here.

Please don't speculate whether I'd timestamp something more or less than what you had. :lol: This wasn't even close to borderline on source usage:

0:11-0:15, 0:36-1:10, 1:27-1:34, 1:35-2:07, 2:09-3:07 = 135 seconds or 71.05%

That said, love the arrangement, and don't have anything to add other than nYAH at DA. :-P