OCR02667 - *YES* Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Renewal'

OceansAndrew

Again, hi! Guifrog r1bb1tz1ng for ya'll. And those were hard times...

Game arranged: Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn)

Song arranged: Volcano Valley (

)

ReMix name: Renewal

ReMix links:

:( Here's another attempt of doing a melodramatic mix. Heh. So what's the story this time? In which place? It can be any you want, coz I didn't intend to focus on a specific country this time (yet you'll probably notice a slight unexpected asian feel :P).

About volcanoes, you know what those scary things do when they explode, right? They basically destroy everything in their surroundings and leave nothing else but a huge pile of dust. Comma. You also know what happens next, yeah? Well, they create nests. Our lively Earth has a hot deadly past. You can tell we need to fall in order to stand up, we need chaos so the order's set, and we need eruptions so the life has new and fertile ground to sprout; that said, there's many sweet things that only happen for a bitter price.

My track's divided in acts - 'before', 'during' and 'after' the eruption, which you'll probably identify by yourselves. I gave personality to a few 'special guest' instruments - oboe's the life wind, triangle's when it touches the ground, piccolo's a newly born bird. Sure, that's a metaphor.

All in all, this track's not about volcanoes. It's about recreating, reviving, renewing. :)

• 2 months later...

Absolutely loved your sub letter and the concept behind this mix :-D This is probably your most ambitious arrangement to date, and from the sounds of it, one of your best produced, as well. It's nice to hear you progressing and beginning to approach things with a more bombastic, cinematic edge. This song just feels larger than life and I can't speak enough to how much I enjoyed your arrangement.

Samples are still mildly problematic, but honestly I think this is the best work you've done to date as far as getting a professional sound out of your samples. The staccato strings are a bit too static in terms of velocity, and the choir patch sounds very unnaturally articulated. Piano still feels kind of fake and too bright... Sound effects at the end totally came out of nowhere :-P That's about the most I can say on that note, the rest of it all sounds pretty good to me!

I love this to death, best of luck with the rest of the vote Gui!

YES

Right away I can hear a bit step up in your actual sequencing on this; i'm not sure what you did, but more of that, please! :-)

I agre with Emu that more velocity on the string stabs would be nice, but the rest I was really feeling. The story of the mix is really good, and the way you arranged the source is true to the theme.

The piano sound I thought was fine in context, it just sounds like it was EQ'd to stand out and fit. THe horn attack was a little bit slow, but didn't wreck the part of the song, just something to be mindful of in the future. often when i am sequencing brass, i'll move the midi data forward 1/32 a measure in the track, so the attacks sound more on beat; that may be something you will want to try too.

I think a huge chord at the end along with the SFX would have been better, but overall I really enoyed this!

Yes

Wes and Andrew really nailed this. So happy to hear you improving your productions, as your arrangements are usually excellent to begin with! As mentioned above, the string stabs are probably one of the things that stick out the most as sounding fake and needing some improvement. I also felt like the bass didn't quite fit as well into the rest of the instruments as well, but this is still a nitpick among nitpicks.

Nice work, keep improving that production!

YES

wow, I must have never listened to the Saturn version of the soundtrack at all, didn't know it had music like this in it. wouldn't expect orchestral in an old-school sonic game, but based on the composition and being familiar with the stage from the Genesis version of the game, I can see how it would work. very interesting.

as for the mix, not a lot to add to what the other J's have said. this is a really solid arrangement, and some of your best production work yet. I expect some truly beastly tunes from you in the future. ;)

YES