A Sonic CD album, anyone? (Generating interest)

Rexy

In regards to style, that would be a tricky one; in comparison to the Genesis games they were already different enough from the Mega Drive releases at the time (Sonic 1 and 2). But ideally, I'd want there to be a sense of energy at least, i.e. keeping the chilled songs to a minimum. Outside from there, I'm cool with a very open direction from the people that are there.

Missed this part of the post earlier... in regards to style, I'd agree. I'm a big fan of 'chill songs' but I agree that a Sonic album should have some energy. I really like the direction halc took "The Sound of Speed". The album sounded very cohesive and almost like a "Sonic 2.0" soundtrack. Each song felt like a vastly improved version of the original, still similar in some aspects, yet distinctly it's own. That and each song was of the utmost highest quality (in my opinion). I think that should be they key thing to focus on here though: is ensuring that each song is done top-notch.

• 2 weeks later...

OHAI I CAN HAS PARTICIPATE PLZ KTHXBAI

No seriously. I was actually thinking about proposing this very idea, with the 2-disc/both soundtracks concept. I'm in fer sure.

PS Rexy I may consider co-directing this with you, if you'll have me... but it's going to depend on circumstances... my wife might want to kill me if I get too involved :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since there are Sonic CD threads popping up all over, I decided to bump this thread, so we are all posting in the same one.

With that said, what's the status of this thing? Who is still interested, who else might be interested? Rexy, do you have plans to move this forward? As I've stated publicly and privately, I'm definitely willing to direct, co-direct, or just help out with a Sonic CD project. If there are lots of people that want to help, I'm sure there would be plenty of work to go around. The more the better, right?

That's why I have been wanting to speak to Matt about this. No one has sent me any kind of message otherwise.

Though my plans were originally to get this started up not long after Sonic Zone, however, other commitments ended up taking over completely. Between the invite to the Sonic Paradox Remix Shorts before the contest's end, some visual work for OCR's recent US panels, preparation for Alcon in September and a handful of other projects I still need to finish tracks for, I hadn't had any time to look back. I feel sorry if I disappointed anyone, but sadly this is how things go.

I still think a project of this kind of scope should go ahead, and make it a real token of love towards the games' scores. I'll do anything possible to help out either way, though I honestly think it will thrive better via someone who's been supportive to mixer development for some time. No matter what, I'd definitely like to see SuperiorX having a staff role in this, whether it be assisting or leading the whole thing. And I'd definitely do whatever possible to help out the process, whether it be through contributing a couple of tracks, potential co-directing, public relations (hey, I've become a regular listener into Radio SEGA's weekend shows :P) or something of that kind of nature.

That's why I have been wanting to speak to Matt about this. No one has sent me any kind of message otherwise.

Yeah, sorry, I've meant to try to contact with you again after I tried back in September and we never got the chance to talk. I got super busy with life stuff too, so it kinda got in limbo. But yeah I wanted to bump this again since another Sonic CD thread popped up.

I still think a project of this kind of scope should go ahead, and make it a real token of love towards the games' scores. I'll do anything possible to help out either way, though I honestly think it will thrive better via someone who's been supportive to mixer development for some time. No matter what, I'd definitely like to see SuperiorX having a staff role in this, whether it be assisting or leading the whole thing. And I'd definitely do whatever possible to help out the process, whether it be through contributing a couple of tracks, potential co-directing, public relations (hey, I've become a regular listener into Radio SEGA's weekend shows :P) or something of that kind of nature.

Yeah, I also don't want to "hijack" your project since you started this thread first. But yeah, I'd love to help out with a Sonic CD project in any fashion. If I did direct it, it would probably be a month or so before I could begin "serious" work on it, outside of simple administration things. I've got a lot of stuff going on between work and life right now that I need to get taken care of. But whether it's me directing, or Rexy, or someone else, if I was involved I'd want to spend some time with the rest of the staff/co-directors first getting a lot of administration details ironed out before such a project got opened up to the public. Stuff like figuring out a common theme/direction for the album (which I think has already been outlined pretty well in this thread), and most importantly ensuring that the album meets the high quality standards set forth by OCR. I'm not sure the best way to approach that subject without coming across as being non-inclusive, but I think that's a really important concern for any project. And then just other stuff like figuring out a tracklist and stuff like that.

So maybe we see how this goes and who else posts, as it seems that quite a few people are interested in helping with this project from a staff perspective?

Just what the heck is going on with this thing OCR? :) Seems like there is plenty of support judging by how many threads get started about sonic cd every couple of months.

I've had some ideas that i've been kicking around but I haven't completed anything for this yet. I'm all for Rexy and Superior heading this thing but are there any new details from the potential directors? Should we get something together for an audition?

Sounds like there's a void in having someone just take charge and getting it done.

I have no problem being that person, once I have the time. Like I said below, I'm just trying to be respectful of others who expressed interest in running this project before I did. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, per say. Plus I would like staff collaboration with a few other people at least.