The Official SNESology Thread - Sample Libraries Available!

Monobrow

• 2 months later...

SNESology posted a new track I did for them.

Fun Fact: This track is at least 4.5 years old. I only finished it recently.

Fun Fact 2: I'm well aware I dropped the ball visually here. I thought there were be more good Cecil and Golbez images and I thought I took out the Chrono Trigger one, but it seems to work all the same.

Please enjoy the track. :)

• 5 months later...

This thread hasn't been updated in a long time. So I thought I'd bump it with some new updates!

SNESology is still strong and were still accepting submissions from anybody that wants to have some fun writing SNES music. The good thing is now we have some of our Kontakt libraries to share and you can download them on our Soundsets page or if you're a dab hand with a decent soundfont or fancy making your own that's good too.

Anybody who wants to submit or just listen to some new SNES music, check out the blog at http://snesology.com and you can check out how to submit there too. Other details are still in the first post like the Youtube channel and Facebook page.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy. For the Autumn and Halloween season, I did a SNESology track out of Secret of Evermore samples to honor the mountain town I live in for the season. I wanted to do something like all the haunting Secret of Evermore and Chrono Trigger type tracks and I think it turned out rather well.

Please do share it around if'n you can spare a few moments. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Whew, been a while huh? The (very generous) write up on the site says it all, but if for some odd reason you'd rather read it here before clicking the link, this is a remix I did of a tune from Willrock's new album, "Welcome to the New World," releasing through Ubiktune on the 19th (LOOK OUT FOR IT!!).

Will's been showing me bits and pieces of the album for a while now, and I can tell you all it's an amazing piece of work, though I think that kind of goes without saying :P While there's a pretty good amount of original material in this remix, I of course couldn't have done it without some totally bitchin' source material. Check it!

Also

and Soundcloud direct links

Any feedback is of course always welcome :D

Edited by Phonetic Hero

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is now up to date (a couple playlist links weren't working). Contact info is updated... Basically use the e-mail and the inbox is checked by (mostly) Alex Roe. He's your SNESology guy.

Also check out all of the above from Phonetic Hero. Coincidentally I made the album art for the above album he remixed the above tune from. Whew I hope that made sense. :J

Edited by Monobrow

• 11 months later...

Wow, been almost a year since this topic was last updated.

SNESology administration has changed hands again, and the new admin, John Easter, asked me to announce on his behalf that the project was gearing up again and for new people to come in and take a crack at the old-school musix. I'll try to do some here myself if I can find time and energy for it.

So get off your 256 or 512-bit ass or whatever the generation now calls it and get back to your roots! Or rather what is slightly above the roots! Show gamers today that the 4k samples are still the best thing ever!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear Meteo I have thought of doing as you said and following Madame Monobrow's example but there are so many new songs now and I figured people would see the new content when they visited the site anyway. However there have been a lot of new additions lately from just this past week alone. I would like to encourage anyone who see this post to visit and check it all out. Be sure to check out "The Beginning of the World" which is a remix from Xenoblade Chronicles using the Final Fantasy 6 soundfont by Travis Nelson.

SNESology

https://www.facebook.com/SNESology

SNESology discussion group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SNESology/

Our latest song is a remix of the Dragon God song from Chrono Cross done with the Chrono Trigger soundfont by Mathew Valente the composer behind CT64(later Chrono Resurrection), the famous unofficial and unreleased remake of Chrono Trigger for the N64 and PC.

https://www.facebook.com/SNESology

https://soundcloud.com/mathew-valente/chrono-cross-dragon-god-16-bit

• 4 months later...

When I started doing my research project for my DMA in Music Composition, I wanted to look at VGM and fan compositions specifically.  I interviewed a few fan composers, had them fill out a survey, and began transcribing videogame music.  Now, as part of my research I stumbled upon SNESology and man, I thought that was cool.  So I grabbed some soundfonts off of the internet and started experimenting.  This is addictive and now I want to screw around with the Secret of Evermore sounds. SO RAD.

Here are a couple of SNES style tracks I did for fun and for procrastination. 

In the style of Secret of Mana

Using Super Metroid Sounds.  This one isn't strictly SNES style since I used EQ and I combined sounds to create the atmospheric effects.  I really don't know if it would be possible on the SNES.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-levasseur-2/super-metroid-style-ambient-track

I'll probably create more at some point.  My goal is to create a portfolio of tracks in contrasting styles.

When I started doing my research project for my DMA in Music Composition, I wanted to look at VGM and fan compositions specifically.  I interviewed a few fan composers, had them fill out a survey, and began transcribing videogame music.  Now, as part of my research I stumbled upon SNESology and man, I thought that was cool.  So I grabbed some soundfonts off of the internet and started experimenting.  This is addictive and now I want to screw around with the Secret of Evermore sounds. SO RAD.

Here are a couple of SNES style tracks I did for fun and for procrastination. 

In the style of Secret of Mana

Using Super Metroid Sounds.  This one isn't strictly SNES style since I used EQ and I combined sounds to create the atmospheric effects.  I really don't know if it would be possible on the SNES.

https://soundcloud.com/paul-levasseur-2/super-metroid-style-ambient-track

I'll probably create more at some point.  My goal is to create a portfolio of tracks in contrasting styles.

Yo Paul, this is really cool man, especially on a compositional level. Yours is probably the best use of secret of mana sounds I've heard outside the original soundtrack. I think your work here would be greatly and enhanced by a more accurate use of the sounds on a technical level themselves. Unfortunately the only secret of mana "soundfont" available, currently, and what you were using, was made back in the early days of snes sampling by blitz lunar, when openspc was the only option. Changing from 32khz to 41.1khz back then when exporting the samples from modules often would cause the looped portion of the samples to be out of tune with the attacks, as is especially the case with the first ripped secret of mana set and is pretty audible in your song, this is totally not your fault and would be easily fixable by just replacing with the correct samples.

Also, squaresoft games in particular, had a very specific kind of filtered delay that again is very simple to replicate with the right settings, if you'd like I'd love to help convert your song to sound even more accurate, not just for like nitpicky anal reasons but I think it will sound even better that way as the writing itself, the compositional work you did on the track is really really neat and I just want it to shine even more. 

You mentioned doing evemore, not sure if you found this in your searches but, a couple years ago, I did a song with half sounds from secret of evermore, half from secret of mana, and it switches back and forth then combines. I actually used lunar's improperly ripped mana sounds for it at the time, I just avoided using samples with detuned loops as there was not yet a good way to fix it like there is now, though the DSP is a pretty accurate emulation of the original (only used during the secret of mana portions) and that helps give the sounds that special squaresoft ethereal ambiance. You can here that one here (secret of mana sounds start at 0:45): https://soundcloud.com/shnabubula/evermore-densetsu-secret-of-mana-and-evermore-instruments

Ok, so THIS is why all the Super Metroid soundfonts were out of tune as well!  It was making me want to pull my hair out!  

Since my training is specifically in concert music, I am dealing with a bit of a learning curve on the production end.  It would be great if we could put our heads together and try and figure this out so that the finished product will have more polish.  UGGH, ESPECIALLY with the Super Metroid example =-/

Ok, so THIS is why all the Super Metroid soundfonts were out of tune as well!  It was making me want to pull my hair out!  

Since my training is specifically in concert music, I am dealing with a bit of a learning curve on the production end.  It would be great if we could put our heads together and try and figure this out so that the finished product will have more polish.  UGGH, ESPECIALLY with the Super Metroid example =-/

hey, it's a very easy fix, don't worry, I've done it for many soundsets since then, those were the early days when we didn't know what we were doing, add me on skype as "shnabubula" I use that for IM chat, best way to directly communicate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...