MAGFest 11 OCR Community Info - Rooms/People/Rides/GroupReg (Partially Updated 12/26/12)

Level 99

I did some terrible screaming for Garpocalypse yesterday I think, and the jerk had the GALL to insult my volume after like 3 days of constant walking and talking. Hey how about YOU trying to sing an aria after having a blowfish expand in your windpipe?!

Heeeeeeeey now. I have never heard anyone do deathmetal screaming that wasn't already mic'd and a few of the tutorials on youtube seemed unsustainable over long periods of time. I just wanted to hear something along the lines of what you did for your I Will Survive/Cavestory mix.

Talk about gall, who was it that was trying to scream directly in my ear again?

Blowfish? lol.

Currently chilling at Jill and Andy's before making the drive home. It was nice to see so many new faces this year at Mag, especially a lot of the mega man compo crew. I want to especially thank all the folks that came out to our workshop panel on Friday. Last year's was kind if iffy but I think people had a lot more fun this year with zircon up there live-mixing.

Oddly enough no real catchphrases this from this weekend, but I suppose that's alright.

Also just want to say that you guys should never feel too awkward to come up and say hi. Magfest is exactly the place to do that!

Not really sure how mine and Jarel's room turned into a party room so often over the weekend, especially since we had no booze, but thanks for stopping by and not making a mess. We're planning on doing more Kamen Rider stuff next year, so watch out.

Hopefully I'll see even more of you next year!

That Kamen stuff seriously blew my mind. It's so clear to me now that everything I thought I knew was wrong...

It was nice finally meeting you all. I was telling Vinny that if I had to write a blog article about this, it would be called "How to do MAGFest Wrong". I was only there for a few hours with a pregnant wife and I missed mostly everything. That's what I get for working through thursday-friday and commuting to the con rather than getting a room. Oh well, next year!

You may not have been there for long but I think your time there was pretty effective, you're a great guy and... you participated in the OCR panel and the secret sexy modeling poses afterwards (surely intended for an upcoming OCR Calendar for 2013?) All in all, good times. :-D

It was nice finally meeting you all. I was telling Vinny that if I had to write a blog article about this, it would be called "How to do MAGFest Wrong". I was only there for a few hours with a pregnant wife and I missed mostly everything. That's what I get for working through thursday-friday and commuting to the con rather than getting a room. Oh well, next year!

There's always NEXT YEAR year year...

Seriously though, you caught the best concert night for sure.

Room is good. It helps to be right there and not have to drive in however far every day. MAG rate isn't too bad either.

There's always NEXT YEAR year year...

Seriously though, you caught the best concert night for sure.

Room is good. It helps to be right there and not have to drive in however far every day. MAG rate isn't too bad either.

I live only 15 minutes away from National Harbor, and I seriously think we'll go for a room next year. For the last four years I've commuted each day to MAG, and I think I'm at a tipping point where there're enough reasons to justify the cost of a room (the things we had to miss after 1am, not having a place to crash or stash stuff in the middle of the day, being right there for anything completely unplanned, etc.). KF

I posted this on FB, but I feel it's worth reposting here:

So hanging out with everyone has ended for this MAGFest timeframe - I miss everyone, but I'm also pumped for the new year to get rolling.

It was a fun weekend as always, and MAGFest just keeps getting bigger - I can never hang out with everyone as back in M5 or M6 or so, and the problem keeps getting worse. I've probably run into over 100 people I knew over the weekend, and yet the quality time with some just keeps shrinking due to how many of you I want to spend time with. It is the biggest problem I have with such sheer size - I miss those smaller quality times. That doesn't even broach the loss of opportunity to meet new people outside of my circles - I got to do a little of it, but not nearly as much as I'd like to. I was perpetually busy in some capacity, and that's a good thing, but I also am increasingly tinged with a bit of sadness that there is still so much more that I didn't get to do.

My second problem this year is that I sensed a lot of tension that people decided to bring into this MAGFest - it weighed on me some I feel. Why can't people be adults? MAGFest used to be the place where such tension was supposed to get dissolved for the most part - I felt I had to avoid some people because I got that vibe from them. I'm not the type of person to hold a grudge, and prefer things to get resolved upfront if anyone has an issue with me. It seems people are forgetting some of the things that made MAGFest amazing for some of us who have went 5 years ago or so. MAGFest isn't really the place to bring issues you've had with people - it's to be merry and be beyond them. It's where djp & virt resolved the long noted fireworks. It's where countless of people who despised each other online have come and made peace quickly, leaving all of that hate to fade away.

As much as I've enjoyed M11, I feel these things weighed it down some for me & affected my personality a bit during the weekend.

That is not to say that I didn't enjoy the weekend - I enjoyed seeing a lot of you there. It's always great to get to spend time in person with you all, and there were some definite great moments. What few concerts I did get to catch were solid & enjoyable. Meeting people while participating in a tournament was pretty sweet (including someone I believe I ran into at a previous MAGFest). Most of all, meeting & hanging out with people was my favorite part - the concerts, the panels, the games, and everything else is minor compared to that for me. I loved being able to see people who I've never met before in person, and of course hanging out with good old friends. I'm always sad at missing out on people and doing stuff with them.

It has me pumped for the new year though! Until M12 for many of you, do great things!

I've set up a GroupMe group for OCR people! Basically, GroupMe is like a chatroom using your phone.

If you're my Facebook friend, all you need to do is sign up for GroupMe and link it to your Facebook account. I'll be checking periodically for new people to add.

If you're not already my Facebook friend (shame on you!), you can PM me your name and phone number and I can add you to the group.

I hope this makes it a little easier for us all to stay in contact outside of Magfest!

MAGFest isn't really the place to bring issues you've had with people - it's to be merry and be beyond them. It's where djp & virt resolved the long noted fireworks. It's where countless of people who despised each other online have come and made peace quickly, leaving all of that hate to fade away.

As much as I've enjoyed M11, I feel these things weighed it down some for me & affected my personality a bit during the weekend.

I must have been lucky to miss all of that! As fun as drama can be on the internet, I don't want it in my MAGFest! :-D