Sonic 3&K - Flying Battery Zone [General Offensive! Remix]

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/alex_2k88/flying-battery-zone-general

Source:

Original Song: Flying Battery Zone x

Game: Sonic 3&K

Ok everyone, I'm new to OCR, And I wanted to share with you my WIP remix. I've had so much fun listening to this piece when I was a kid.

I know i'm not a really good remixer and I'm here to learn from the best. So any opinions, tips, tricks? :-)

Cool mix. Toe-tapping. Has some complexity which I like. I like the "pingy" main instrument that carries the melody (that is about as specific as non-producer-me can be) — at the beginning. By about halfway through, I feel it's sort of overused and I wish a different sound would carry the lead.

In the beginning, I don't feel the fade-in of the percussion works well. You already do a nice job of starting with the percussion, then adding the bass, and so on, I think a full-sound percussion beat at the beginning would be a fine opener. The fade-in sort of makes me feel like I missed something that was going on before that point.

I like the drop-out and return around 0:43, maybe a little more volume on the one voice that remains?

Around 1:53, where you are basically repeating material in the background, I feel like you are missing a great opportunity to put something in the foreground like a badass guitar solo or some such.

The fade-out and return around 2:56, I don't think is as well implemented as the earlier one. The fade just takes way too long. Especially in context of the fade-in that starts the piece off, I very much feel like the piece is over at that point, and it takes long enough that I the listener am sort of mentally checked out by the time the music comes back in.

The fade-out at the end, I have the same opinion as the one that starts it out. Not necessary. End your piece on a strong percussion beat.

My two cents —*thanks for sharing!

Wow! Thanks, that's really comprehensive and helpful. I've already did some changes you suggested on the track.

I like the "pingy" main instrument that carries the melody... By about halfway through, I feel it's sort of overused.

I've been more focused on the slap bass so I almst forgot about the lead. I should add another layer :-)

Around 1:53, where you are basically repeating material in the background, I feel like you are missing a great opportunity to put something in the foreground like a badass guitar solo or some such.

I've recorded a guitar solo but it was too simple, so I decided to add variations to the slap bass instead of having a guitar. Still you're right, I should've added some solo. I might try and re-record that guitar solo or a synth solo maybe if the guitar doesn't work out.