497 replies to this topic

#341 Crowbar Man

Crowbar Man

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Been waiting for this, I think the Big Screen Steam interface is a fantastic idea. Combined with Greelight, it gives yet another option for indies to make games for controller/TV, though not quite a console (NEXT STEP VALVE), its better than one for power gamers / PC gamers. Steam really is the best thing to happen to the PC. Or the game industry in general

I'm not sure the OUYA has it beat in terms of multiplayer gaming, though; were there multiple controllers planned?

Ouya supports up to 4 Ouya controllers

Edited by Crowbar Man, 11 September 2012 - 02:30 AM.

#342 Neblix

Neblix

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,970 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

though not quite a console (NEXT STEP VALVE),

*facepalm*

gang%20sig.png
facebook | twitter | linkedin | website | soundcloud | code
impact soundworks developer | gossamer games audio director
current projects: Sole (iOS)

#343 quintin3265

quintin3265

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

Do games do split-screen anymore? I miss those days, and with HDTVs nowadays, it seems like SSMP would be less terrible.

I think that the reason split-screen has gone downhill is because it wasn't that good of an idea to begin with. It sounds like a great idea in theory, but it's nearly impossible to get four people together to play a game for even half an hour without someone getting bored or getting distracted by his phone or leaving. Has anyone on this thread been able to get people together to play a splitscreen game together in the last ten years, outside of giant venues like MAGfest?

The Internet replaced split-screen because it was a better solution from the start. You don't have to worry about coordinating schedules because there is always someone available to take over if someone quits.
Now you can embed your songs in forum posts and webpages for visitors to click and listen like the image below shows! Click on the image to find out how.
Posted Image

#344 Gollgagh

Gollgagh

Mega Man (+15000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,540 posts
  • LocationJust hanging around, y'know, like a dingleberry.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

nice anecdotal data there
Posted Image

#345 EC2151

EC2151

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

I don't know, I may love my steam sales (though I rarely purchase from steam these days!), but Steam sort of brought us into the age of DRM and all sorts of other scheisty practices, so I don't really think it's the savior the gaming community at large makes it out to be.

That and steam is a little prejudiced against certain genres showing up. Some folks like Nyu Media, who work bringing doujin arcade/shmup type games have to go through a lot of hoops to get their stuff on Steam, whereas other "indie" devs have much less of a problem, even if it's something like Sword and Sorcery EP, which is barely a game!

And of course, there's my distrust of leaving games in a purely digital download format...

#346 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,859 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA, United States

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

Split screen isn't as popular likely due to the rise of networked homes, wireless, and general evolution of technology. It still has some appeal for games & in a lot of ways a far superior social experience.

Edit: DRM has been present before the rise of Steam and far more crappy. Steam helped curb a lot of the worst practices.
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#347 Dhsu

Dhsu

Ryu (+13000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,871 posts
  • LocationDustbowl 24/7

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

http://kotaku.com/59...ch-out-consoles

The comments bring up a lot of good points about the logistical challenges involved in getting the best experience from a living room PC, including

1) Still have to deal with all the regular PC hassles like driver updates, incompatibility, upgrading hardware, finding graphics settings that are tolerable to look at while still being playable, etc.
2) The noise/lack of privacy from being in a main activity area.
3) PC games are designed to be played with the screen a couple feet from your face, so often text and smaller details become indistinguishable at a greater distance.
4) TVs actually have slightly different resolutions from PC displays, so overscan becomes an issue.
5) And this one is from personal experience: you can't get surround sound to your existing home theater receiver via your motherboard's SPDIF. It only supports stereo PCM. So either you need to have a set of PC surround speakers alongside your home theater ones, or you need to buy a sound card that will encode the output to a Dolby or DTS signal.

Posted ImagePosted Image
<Bleck> Neblix I will punch you in the soul

#348 BardicKnowledge

BardicKnowledge

Bonus kun (+2900)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

I think that the reason split-screen has gone downhill is because it wasn't that good of an idea to begin with. It sounds like a great idea in theory, but it's nearly impossible to get four people together to play a game for even half an hour without someone getting bored or getting distracted by his phone or leaving. Has anyone on this thread been able to get people together to play a splitscreen game together in the last ten years, outside of giant venues like MAGfest?

The Internet replaced split-screen because it was a better solution from the start. You don't have to worry about coordinating schedules because there is always someone available to take over if someone quits.

I would love more splitscreen games on PC -- it would mean that both my wife and I could play simultaneously. Or, on those occasions when we have a gaming couple come over (fairly often, since many of our friends game) it would be nice to be able to play four-player local.

I shouldn't have to turn on the console to have four players playing in my home.
Posted Image

#349 Crowbar Man

Crowbar Man

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

No Dhsu. There are no differences between PCs and consoles. Stop trying to bring up information and facts. STOP!!11

Emperor Charlemagne: Technically it is a type of DRM, but its the only DRM that actually works and is a benefit to customers than a hindrance. (Good prices, lots of sales, great interface, tons of community options (they added a whole lot recently), in game/cross game IM/chat/voice, in game web browser, achievements, a workshop for submiting your own fanmade stuff, Greenlight as a path for Indies onto its service, Big Screen for TV use, etc, etc). Benefits far outweigh the tiny con in this case.

Most DRM is "Well we broke your game, sorry legit paying customer."

The only major problem with Steam as a "DRM" is when companies decide they need more DRM on top of Steam, then crap gets broken like normal.

And it was far from the first DRM, as mentioned.

impossible to get four people together to play a game for even half an hour without someone getting bored or getting distracted by his phone or leaving.

Wow, maybe find people who like to play videogames? People have LAN/console parties all the time (small personal ones, not big venues).

Also as Bardic mentioned, a gaming spouse/couple is always good for at least 2 player

Part of the Wii's business model focused on people in the living room playing together, and thats continuing with Wii U (with an extra 5th player screen to boot!).

Not sure if we'll see too much of that on Ouya since its isn't exactly a power house, but 4 player on the same screen, non split, I definitely want to see some of that.

Edited by Crowbar Man, 11 September 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#350 Kenogu Labz

Kenogu Labz

Crash Bandicoot (+650)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationBellevue, Washington

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:31 AM

Clarification, Crowbar: Consoles and PCs both fall under the category of computers; however, a console is a PC, while not all PCs are consoles. You must distinguish between the two in terms of the services they offer, hardware they leverage, portability and modularity of their components, flexibility of use, methods of control... the list goes on.

Consoles are specialized computers; PCs are generalized. The specialized nature of consoles makes it very easy to pick up and play, and the consistent nature of their hardware makes them easier to develop for and support. PCs are built in many different ways; offering supporting for your product on every possible combination of compatible hardware is, for all practical purposes, impossible.

EDIT: D'oh. Did I just fall for the sarcasm card?
Posted Image
>>| SoundCloud |<<

#351 Crowbar Man

Crowbar Man

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

LOL, yeah, it was in reference to the argument before. Thanks for chipping in with well thought out post though.

#352 quintin3265

quintin3265

Eggplant Wizard (+50)

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

http://kotaku.com/59...ch-out-consoles

The comments bring up a lot of good points about the logistical challenges involved in getting the best experience from a living room PC, including

1) Still have to deal with all the regular PC hassles like driver updates, incompatibility, upgrading hardware, finding graphics settings that are tolerable to look at while still being playable, etc.
2) The noise/lack of privacy from being in a main activity area.
3) PC games are designed to be played with the screen a couple feet from your face, so often text and smaller details become indistinguishable at a greater distance.
4) TVs actually have slightly different resolutions from PC displays, so overscan becomes an issue.
5) And this one is from personal experience: you can't get surround sound to your existing home theater receiver via your motherboard's SPDIF. It only supports stereo PCM. So either you need to have a set of PC surround speakers alongside your home theater ones, or you need to buy a sound card that will encode the output to a Dolby or DTS signal.

The issue with receivers did used to be a problem in the past, but with modern receivers, it is no longer a barrier. Almost any receiver sold after 2008 supports HDMI input, which can take 7.1/24/96 in raw PCM. HDMI 1.4a can take 3D along with Master Audio or TrueHD. Even low-end $200 models now include these features.

I have a PC running Windows 8 connected to an Onkyo TX-NR1009 and it works great. I can play DVD-Audio discs and watch 3D movies no problem. The only issue is that you need to buy something called an "HDMI detective," or else AMD's and Nvidia's drivers reset the display when you turn the TV off. If you want the PC to run all the time to host a server for web development, as I do, you need to buy one of these devices so that you don't have to restart every time you turn on the TV.
Now you can embed your songs in forum posts and webpages for visitors to click and listen like the image below shows! Click on the image to find out how.
Posted Image

#353 Crowbar Man

Crowbar Man

Phoenix Wright (+1100)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...leadership-sta/

A little news. Nothing really that exciting, but looks like things are moving along!

1000 devs and 50 distributors sounds like a start at least. Also big name on board sounds less and less like a scam everyday! We'll see!

Edited by Crowbar Man, 30 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#354 Dhsu

Dhsu

Ryu (+13000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,871 posts
  • LocationDustbowl 24/7

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well, now that the dev units have shipped and people are busily working on their games and apps, I think we can safely say the OUYA wasn't a hoax. :<

In fact, not only were they able to get the console out in a year, they're saying they'll be releasing one every year.

I'm a little worried, since it introduces the risk of fragmentation, but I suppose developing for a few versions of OUYA is still better than trying to be compatible with hundreds of phones.

Still, as long as it does this, I'm happy.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#355 Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier

Songs of Light and Darkness Asst. Director, Impulse Composer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Well, now that the dev units have shipped and people are busily working on their games and apps, I think we can safely say the OUYA wasn't a hoax. :<

But any intelligent person is a good skeptic, and any good skeptic openly dismisses anything he/she doesn't get their hands on, so while I read some words on a website and saw some pictures, I have no seen no empirical evidence this supposed "system" actually exists, and therefore it does not exist and anyone who believes otherwise is irrational and believes in fairy tales.

THIS KIND OF THINKING MAKES ME SMART DERP. /pointlessrantdirectedathardcoreskeptics

#356 Dhsu

Dhsu

Ryu (+13000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,871 posts
  • LocationDustbowl 24/7

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I think the skepticism around this was warranted, honestly. I ended up backing it (after unbacking it) for a few reasons:

A) Julie Uhrman has an industry record, she isn't just some random person.
B) There would be no way anyone could get away with a scam of this magnitude with so much public exposure.
C) They finally offered a Kickstarter-exclusive special edition console. Otherwise there was no incentive to not just wait until it was actually released.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#357 DaMonz

DaMonz

Shuttle Remix Director

• Members
  • Pip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

But any intelligent person is a good skeptic, and any good skeptic openly dismisses anything he/she doesn't get their hands on, so while I read some words on a website and saw some pictures, I have no seen no empirical evidence this supposed "system" actually exists, and therefore it does not exist and anyone who believes otherwise is irrational and believes in fairy tales.

THIS KIND OF THINKING MAKES ME SMART DERP. /pointlessrantdirectedathardcoreskeptics

I have one of those dev ouya consoles, and my game is playable on it ^_^ it IS real
Posted Image
"Let's get this show on the road" ~Geno

#358 Neblix

Neblix

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,970 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Wait, did people actually think it was a hoax :<

gang%20sig.png
facebook | twitter | linkedin | website | soundcloud | code
impact soundworks developer | gossamer games audio director
current projects: Sole (iOS)

#359 Dhsu

Dhsu

Ryu (+13000)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,871 posts
  • LocationDustbowl 24/7

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

http://www.pcmag.com...,2407046,00.asp

Ben Kuchera was skeptical as well.

Edit: And now admits he might have been wrong. :P

Edited by Dhsu, 08 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#360 Toadofsky

Toadofsky

Kirby (+1500)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

http://www.pcmag.com...,2407046,00.asp

Ben Kuchera was skeptical as well.

Edit: And now admits he might have been wrong. :P

Kuchera is a hack and is as bad as the rest of game journalism.
Posted Image
"games are art" - LOL.
8bittherapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums