OCR00474 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Ice Cap Zone (Frozen Knuckles Mix)"

Ginnsu

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Ice Cap Zone (Frozen Knuckles Mix)'

I love the intro voice sample. I love the bassline. I love the drums. I love the game samples. I love those strings. I love this whole gosh darn mix. Rayza really puts on an excellent show for us here and shows us just what is the fastest thing alive is. As a final note, I just have to say that damn frozen knuckles would hurt. Anyways, excellent work, Rayza, keep it up.

• 3 weeks later...

(originally posted Dec. 15, 2001 05:51 PM)

===========================================

Frozen Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog 3)

===========================================

by Rayza. You may remember him from such remixes as Shinobi's "Rayza Shinobi" and Metroid's "You Be Illin'."

When I saw Sonic 3 for the first time, I was at a friend's house and the Ice Cap Zone was the first one he showed me. Sonic snowboarding? Cool! And that theme is kick-ass! Well newsflash: it still is, and Rayza does it justice. 9 slices.

The intro threw me off. It sounds like Warren from "There's Something About Mary," but Rayza has already pointed out that he downloaded that soundbyte. We don't know who it is and in the end, it really doesn't matter. You get a reversed echoed "SAY-GUH!"

The music starts at 0:11 with a synth harp. As soon as I heard the first few notes, I knew this mix was tight. Rayza starts with a gradual build of layers reminicent of Act 2 of the Ice Cap Zone. At 0:39 the main melody kicks in accompanied by furious techno drums at 0:46. The song plays just fine and dandy when at 1:06 Rayza adds an electic piano to the mix.

This is one of those tracks you could play in a dance club and get away with because no one would be the wiser. Well only if no one noticed the sfx of Sonic jumping and collecting rings (@ 1:18 and 2:01 respectively). Screw them if they do notice because I like the inclusion. I've said it 1,000,000,000,000 times. It's difficult to include sound effects in a song and not have it sound forced.

The bridge (1:20-2:02) is built from Rayza's teasing you with the first 3 notes of the Ice Cap melody. Close your eyes and picture the backround of Act 2. Are you chilly yet?

The second part of the song adds another synth instrument to the fray after which at 2:58 (and some techno drum climaxing), the song fades out with the same single layer in came in on (which I think was an excellent choice and a great way to end the mix).

I think one of the coolest things about this track was the fact that the soundfonts sound SO MUCH like the original. I don't mean ripped from an emulator. I mean like the actual Genesis. Maybe it's just me.

Inanycase, this is one of those songs you get even if you've never heard the original. 9 slices, unnotlistentoable.

How about that! I got through the whole review without once mentioning McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped" remix. I mean almost everyone else mentioned McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped" but did I? Noooooooooooooo. I didn't think it appropriate to compare McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped" remix to Rayza's Sonic 3 "Frozen Knuckles". I mean sure, McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped" remix is good, but if I want to review McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped" then I'll have to put McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped" remix in it's own thread. Right? I wanted to do the review without once saying ANYTHING about McVaffe's Sonic 3 "Ice Capped." And I did! Not once in this ENTIRE document did the words "McVaffe" or "Ice Capped" come up and I think I shou...

oops. sorry.

Folks, these opinions are just that. I ain't a remixer. I'm a listener. But if you've been a regular visitor to the message boards since July 10th of 2001, you already know that. Please, listen to this more than once before you make your own opinions. Listen to it through decent speakers. And keep comin' back.

Kudos to Rayza.

Well done sir, well done.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another great Sonic 3 IceCap remix. I do admit that this song is remixed too often, but you can't complain about that when said song has such an awesome remix of it. I like the wacky opening, if only for its wackiness and classic "Seeegaaa" chorus. The song the busts out into its techno chorus. Around 1:08, a background piano accompanies the lead tune, forming one of my favorite parts. I also love 2:03, when the remix is at full force and its loudest. Throughout the mix, you can also hear some well placed "ring" chimes, which Sonic fans will fondly remember. Another great remix by Rayza. Reccomended.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

The harp sample is brilliant, as is the drum samples (though I think the hi-hat on every other beat is a little OTT sometimes).

The piano samples are good, as is the synth that plays the main melody.

Breaking the melody off for a bar to play the stereo effects, thats a nice touch, I really like that, especially when they go stereo...über sweet when wearing headphones)

But then there's the infuriating voice sample...though mercifully, this is easilly cut out with Goldwave.

Pretty good remix, though Jaded by the dumb intro.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought the intro was hilarious. It was what made me keep this thing on my PC. Mainly because this one isn't quite as smooth and poetic as McVaffe's Ice Capped, which I had just JUST downloaded before getting this. It's not bad; by itself it sounds cool, nice bass line, decent drums, neat game samples, and a modest melody. I would say there are better Ice Cap rexmixes floating about, but this one is still cool and worth a check.

And the SEGA reverb in the beginning is just plain awesome. I loved it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh damn how I love this song. The original and this remix. All the sounds fit together perfectly, this doesn't sound like video game music at all. I like the voice sample at the beginning too, it's funny. This is my favorite Ice Cap remix.

• 4 months later...

I like this remix. A lot. Icecap was one of my favorite levels, and a big part of that was the emotional music. :) I remember coming up with crazy stories about people being frozen under the ground in Icecap Zone. :P I downloaded this remix back about a year or two ago, and had to download it again for old time's sake.

I don't like the quote though. It's way too out of place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I love most of the Sonic tracks out there. This one is not my favorite, mostly because of the intro. The reversed Sega effect was quite cool, however, and the ring sound effects were well-placed. The instruments seem a little off to me, but I can't quite place why. It's not a bad mix, it's just not quite for me though.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

So this has been my favorite remix of my favorite Sonic track (or any Sonic track for that matter) for the past decade easy if not longer. I've had it incorrectly labeled this entire time and finally figured out where it came from. So thanks for the great track that now comes with a double dose of nostalgia from the early 2000s and the mid 1990s. Like going from watching Legends of the Hidden Temple to playing de_Aztec on Steam. I really have some fond memories tied to this song, so thanks for the memories.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00474 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Ice Cap Zone (Frozen Knuckles Mix)"
  • 1 year later...