Mega Man X: The Grand Maverick Remix Battle 2012

DarkeSword

I was thinking the same thing. There's a lot less forum activity. As for the voting, I remember half of the votes came in on the last day so I'm not surprised there.

I voted in the last few minutes because I was working on my remix and school stuff, though I did listed to the mixes early. This competition definitely seems emptier, a fair amount of dropouts.

I haven't posted reviews for this round, so here I go!

Volt Catfish vs. Magna Centipede:

- Benjamin Briggs: Nice use of Catfish's theme at the beggining. Use of Centipede is similar to your previous entry. I like the rhytm at 2:54, but the transition at 2:00 is a bit weak.

- Prophecy: Nice intro, using Centipede's theme. Voice in the second riff is cool (chord progression is from Centipede?). Use of Catfish's intro theme is a bit tricky on the 1:30 section. The song is very good, but unless I'm missing something, seems very unbalanced in source usage.

Blast Hornet vs. Frost Walrus:

- Blackpanther: I'm not very familiar with the themes used here (Hornet is very forgettable, but you used it well), so I may miss some source references. Bass is very low... I like the mood of the mix, pretty chill. Very short though.

Blizzard Wolfang vs. Shieldner Shieldon:

- Mr. L: Song is a bit quiet. I like the happy version of Wolfang's theme at the beggining! Strings playing Shieldon's theme is a nice touch too. This song would fit on a castle or something very royal-esque. Nice use of both sources. You may have used too much reverb for the piano sound though. I feel the mix could use a bit more variation, since it drags a bit. Piano being the lead all the time becomes a bit tiring.

- Phonetic Hero: The sample used at the beggining is very haunting, nice. Feels zerg-like. Funny how both of you used the same sections of both themes to begin your (very different) songs! The mix takes a nice turn at 1:20. Drums could have been more intense at 2:40.

Overdrive Ostrich vs. Crystal Snail:

- Cash and Change: Man, the dissonance kills me. I like how you moved to Snail's theme on 0:30, but there was still a dissonant feel there. I guess it is a matter of taste, but all that section annoyed me. Section beggining at 1:20 is a different thing. Pretty enjoyable. I'm not sure what source you were using there though lol. Overall, nice but really change the bass.

I still have to decide my votes, but writing these reviews (or notes lol) really helped me!

Mmm, going to turn my track to DS in about an hour. I don't have any more opportunities to work on it in the week, but I'll at least have something to show for this round.

Not gonna lie, it's actually kind of impressive for four hours of work. Wish I had the rest of the week to make something more significant, but we work with what we got.

Mmm, going to turn my track to DS in about an hour. I don't have any more opportunities to work on it in the week, but I'll at least have something to show for this round.

Not gonna lie, it's actually kind of impressive for four hours of work. Wish I had the rest of the week to make something more significant, but we work with what we got.

Just throw Schala in there somewhere; it worked in the WCRG. :P

- Prophecy: ... Use of Catfish's intro theme is a bit tricky on the 1:30 section. The song is very good, but unless I'm missing something, seems very unbalanced in source usage.

It makes generous use of both themes, just not in an entirely expected way. The latter half of the first minute is all Catfish (okay so it's possibly a blend of both Catfish's and Centipede's intros). Underlying chord progression is a compromise between the two sources. During the obvious Centipede section at the end, it sounds like the part of Catfish's theme that starts 40 seconds in is weaved into it...

...Or at least that's what it sounds like to my untrained ear.

Edited by rnn

Overdrive Ostrich vs. Crystal Snail:

- Cash and Change: Man, the dissonance kills me. I like how you moved to Snail's theme on 0:30, but there was still a dissonant feel there. I guess it is a matter of taste, but all that section annoyed me. Section beggining at 1:20 is a different thing. Pretty enjoyable. I'm not sure what source you were using there though lol. Overall, nice but really change the bass.

I definitely hear the dissonance, I think I overdid it. The section at 1:20 was my own arrangement. I made a last minute bass change, which was a poor choice. I'm glad you enjoyed some of it! :smile:

It makes generous use of both themes, just not in an entirely expected way. The latter half of the first minute is all Catfish (okay so it's possibly a blend of both Catfish's and Centipede's intros). Underlying chord progression is a compromise between the two sources. During the obvious Centipede section at the end, it sounds like the part of Catfish's theme that starts 40 seconds in is weaved into it...

...Or at least that's what it sounds like to my untrained ear.

Yeah, that was it. But since the chord progression is shared by both tracks, it is still more Centipede than Catfish.

It makes generous use of both themes, just not in an entirely expected way.

Right.

During the obvious Centipede section at the end, it sounds like the part of Catfish's theme that starts 40 seconds in is weaved into it...

The arp that begins at about :49 in the remix is from the section at :40 in Volt Catfish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hln_pyBFFiA

The main change being that it's now 16th notes, while everything else in the remix has been slowed down. I can see how that could be counter intuitive.