OCR01424 - EarthBound "Da Black Market"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

Posting as another rap hater who likes this. I don't like the second bit, though. For one, it's rather non-sequitir (and not in the good way that most of Earthbound is). For another, it seems like exactly what all gangsta rappers do to show off their massive egos ("Look at me, I'm an awesome rapper! My last album went platinum because I'm such an awesome rapper. All the other rappers are less awesome than me." except rhyming).

Lastly (and also leastly), "intensive purposes" makes my inner pedant cry. Otherwise, I like Flik's style and am curious as to where I can find things in a similar style.

pi out of 22/7

• 8 months later...

A warm organ-like lead starts us off, joined by liberally syncopated synths, several of which sound like roboticized voices (breaths, shouts, mumbles, coughs, etc.). There's at least one unique synth/instrument per section: myf gets a wind instrument (although it appears at the tail end of joe_cam's part), D-Lux gets a whistly synth, and Flik gets acoustic strings. Throughout, there's a magical chime panned left playing (mostly) whole notes, staying subtle but steady. That whirly "losing consciousness" sound effect from the game makes for a slick transition to the start of the rapping.

Ness is confident, sadistic, and egocentric. He's well-versed in world travel as heard in the shout-outs to many places in the game. "So grab your yo-yo and gun, we'll have a little fun" is grin-worthy anticipation. "Throw him to the curb, stomp the little bitch's face, make the fat piggy cry, yeah, put him in his place" - that's definitely a sentiment shared by every Earthbound player.

I imagine Paula shedding "her" wig and dress and revealing herself as Mr. T. mother2_mrt.gif myf's lyrics open up portals to new worlds left and right. "Now they can't stop us cuz we movin' too fast; 'Nuff sand in the eyes, turn the desert to glass" seems to allude to Ness's Skip Sandwich consumption earlier. Intentional or not, it fits, since this is a remix of the Scaraba marketplace. A crunchy splatter pops up in time for the Starcraft reference, and maniacal laughter at the end compliments the insanity that just passed.

Also, fun story: back when I drew OCR faces in '05-'06, myf requested I draw him as well, so using this mix as a base, I literally interpreted his first line (and Jill's). myf dubbed it awesome.

The "robo voice" synths return in time for the chorus, backing up the soft+sad quadruplets. It's like they're belting out their own brand of lyrics.

Poo is intensely focused, packing a "critical SMASH (smash)" behind his collected tone of voice. Highlights include the mention of toothpaste (Colgate Hippie is crescent fresh) and a reference to his popularity with the ladies. The trailing chime fadeout adds another bit of mysticism to the fighter's aura.

In a wild contrast, Jeff is speedy and over-analytical to the point where he confuses himself with his own long-winded conjectures. Measuring the cartridge instead of playing it is a LOL decision that shows his ultra-cautious side. (I imagine Jeff working through the night to fix the broken EB cartridge.) Also, the playful "blip-bloop"-ing during his chemical analysis is killer.

The empty space after Flik's role makes the listener wonder whether the previous chaos happened or not. Then after a second and third dose of the chorus, the whole thing kinda winds down, gating and lowering its notes like a broken record.

Sick, twisted, and contagious. I love it. :-D

• 10 months later...

Man, how have I not posted about this mix yet...

This is absolutely brilliant. I could roll down the street singing along with this all day. It's a brilliantly funny tribute to a brilliantly funny game.

There are so many awesome lines in this... Flik's part at the end is uproariously, crazily funny. It so feels like the overanalysis some nerdy gamer would make after playing Earthbound. Seriously. Excellent mix all around.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01424 - EarthBound "Da Black Market"