SEGA vs Nintendo parody anime

Dave the Rave

I’m surprised that no one has made a topic about this yet.

Back in March, a new anime called Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de was announced. It wasn’t until a few days ago that this news has spread.

Segua Kingdom has been losing the war against Ninterdo Empire but the tables are turned by the appearance of a boy called Gear. All the characters are parodies of Nintendo or Sega games such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda etc.

You can find more info about it here and here. Will this be any good you may ask? Well we will find out soon enough, on October 20th.

• 1 month later...

Wait... they killed Tails in the opening minute of the show?! This just ruined my weekend...

Better than I was expecting actually. Though I spent most of the show trying to figure out who Opal was based on. You know, the chick that spends most of the episode half naked for no apparent reason. The one with the bow, and the drastic change in attitude after she doesn't really lose her fight against Gear. She was the only character i couldn't place.

If you haven't watched it yet this anime is really more based on love than war. At least it seems that way from all the innuendo that's in this thing. I was a bit shocked at how overt it was then i remembered the argument that in a few more decades the Japanese will be underpopulated. Hopefully this will save them. :<

I really can't freaking wait for the Streets of Rage crew to make a cameo in a future episode.

Thanks for the link. Keep 'em coming! (sorry, sorry pun not intended. Man that subliminal stuff is powerful)

I wonder when they'll cover the invasion by the Kingdom of Somy and the failed attempt by the foreign armies of Microftso.

Edit: OK, having watched this, I have to say that I have always thought my time on a jury where we had to watch video evidence of a man doing truly disturbing things of a sexual nature to various animals was the worst experience of my life.

This show doesn't knock it off the top of the list, but it's bumped quite a few other things down a bit.

Edited by The Damned

• 2 weeks later...

Either my love of old Sega is blinding me, or we have some friggen Nintendo fans in here. :<

Pilots are never great. Unless you are talking about Fluppy Dogs. That was a great pilot. :) Everything else tho has great suckage potential.

Any word on when episode II is coming out?

Edited by Garpocalypse

Either my love of old Sega is blinding me, or we have some friggen Nintendo fans in here. :<

Well, let's see:

1. Character archetypes that we've seen hundreds of times before.

2. Bleh designs and art style. Nothing interesting or refreshing.

3. Mediocre plot based upon a long-settled argument over market shares of an entertainment industry.

4. Poor attempt at parody, or half-assed attempt at appealing to fanboys? Either way...

I don't know what I just watched.

This hardly seems to relate to Nintendo and Sega besides a few similar designs and names, and even then those were hard to figure out sometimes. Why was Sonic called Gear? Why not Sinoc or something dumb like that?

I am also unfamiliar with Sega games, so besides Sonic, Alex Kid and Tetris I didn't recognize anyone on the side. I liked Mario's design though, but who was that creepy ponytailed idiot? What that supposed to be Link?

I just don't see how this really mirrors Nintendo and Sega, at least not yet. I was hoping for something like Hetalia that really makes use of the real history, but it doesn't look like that's what we'll be getting.

Love ya The Damned but your Anti Sega Post War Neo European American Conservatively Liberal Pro Nintendo Agenda (w/ dubstep influences!) has been clear for some time.

Well, let's see:

1. Character archetypes that we've seen hundreds of times before.

2. Bleh designs and art style. Nothing interesting or refreshing.

Go ahead. if you have time, run (well, swim)over and try to introduce something new to the Japanese. You'll find progress for even a small change can take several decades or longer. This is the entire reason i stopped using anime to study Japanese for about a decade. I guess now i'm getting back into it. :<

3. Mediocre plot based upon a long-settled argument over market shares of an entertainment industry.

market shares? where the heck are market shares discussed in this thing? that would make for a boring show. Maybe some land, power, and chicks but market shares?!

Mediocre plot for sure. But...

4. Poor attempt at parody, or half-assed attempt at appealing to fanboys? Either way...

...it's appealing to all the former kids who used to beat the hell out of each other on the playground screaming for either Mario or Sonic. Conflict is perfectly natural. Don't interfere with nature!

If you prefer Nintendo that's fine, but let's enjoy and keep the fighting going!

The geek equivalent of Jersey Shore mayhaps?

I wouldn't quite take it that far... I am firmly against any show that makes it's viewers want to punch women. Even if they kind of look like something that crawled out of a sewer. and somehow got famous.

Still not clean from watching Tails die in the opening minute... Worst part of the show for me. :(

Edited by Garpocalypse

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Didn't even have to click the link to know you meant Neptunia fyi.

I've never heard of that but it doesn't seem so bad. Though trailers are meant to be as misleading as possible.

I got back into watching anime with Dog Days about a year ago as part of my recommitment to attaining Japanese fluency. The first season I thought was cliche but great. The second season....well, that creeped me the hell out. Specifically this scene.

Which I think went way too far over the line. I didn't know what I was watching at that point. I always thought the whole transformation thing in animes was sleazy but this one... i've never been able to watch this episode again because of it.

I still hope for a third season but not in the way they did the second.

Though they say the Japanese are doomed if they don't increase their fertility rate. I guess that makes it ok. Sort of.

I've never heard of that but it doesn't seem so bad. Though trailers are meant to be as misleading as possible.

Goolge "Hyperdimension Neptunia" and check out the PS3 games. Also, do that in an incognito window, and also without anyone else looking because JESUS CHRIST the second game will make you feel creeped out.

Edited by Lyrai