DKC2 - Forest Interlude [Insert Genre]

Lampje4life

Hey OCR,

So I randomly started working on this song, without the purpose of really finishing / getting anywhere at all.

After 3 hours, this is what I've got:

http://soundcloud.com/yannicgeerts/forezd

Original on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Mp8uMammw

Might or might not finish it, but since I uploaded it to a friend, figured it might aswell keep the OCR WIP forums a little more active.

Comments and critics are welcome. Keep in mind that nothing is seriously EQ'd and the flow of the song is total garbage :)

I think for the most part, it's very quiet, or at least, it would be quiet if the levels were balanced. e.g. 0:00 - 0:28, 0:53 - 1:52, which is about 1:30, or over half the song. It's worth looking into so you can add more elements and make it louder at some parts to give more of a progressive dynamic contrast. Basically, make sure each instrument is only as loud (in terms of amplitude, not relative volume) as you originally intended. If I were you, I'd put this hierarchy on your instruments:

"Loudest" (anything below this)

Square Lead (0:55, NOT the one at 1:52)

Saw Lead (0:13), Square Lead (1:52, NOT the one at 0:55)

Kick (0:27)

Bass (0:27)

White Noise sweeps (1:07 & other places)

Pluck Arpeggio (beginning)

Hi-Hats (beginning)

"Softest" (anything above this)

To do that, use a compressor. I'm sure your DAW has one. By the way, if I can identify every single instrument in your mix, that's a sign that you need more going on! ;D

Basics of a sound compressor (not a technical compressor for audio files):

- Similar to a limiter without the sidechaining capability.

- Threshold is the upper limit to compress the instrument down towards.

- Ratio is how heavy the compression is.

- The compression knee can be Hard, Medium, Soft, or possibly "Vintage". Change to taste. Soft is best for light compression of elements you don't want to sound "overcompressed".

- Gain is the dB boost.

- Attack is how early the compression starts.

- Release is how long the compression lasts.

At 1:27, to make things simpler, I'd suggest switching the instrument playing the arp and the one playing the lead. If I'm correct, the instrument playing the lead at 1:27 was the same instrument playing the beginning arpeggio. Or, you could just clone that "arpeggio instrument" (pluck saw) and give it a different gain/boost in the compressor. Then you can just soften the lead's velocities there if it's velocity-sensitive.

Actually, at 1:27, it would be a pretty good time to bring the energy back up as well.

At 1:52, the square lead is a good volume because it could serve as a good breakdown section.

Good luck!