OCR02629 - *YES* Super Mario Land 'Mario Ascends to the Clouds'

DragonAvenger

I have to admit I was completely caught off guard by this track. There's a lot of very unexpected turns in the arrangement, and you never really settle on one particular groove or style throughout the course of the mix, which I find rather enthralling as a listener. Overall, this mix doesn't seem like it's trying too hard to be flashy or impressive... you're working with some relatively basic sounds and textures and there's never any real climax, but with all that said I'm surprised by how much I loved this mix! (It helps that your production is pretty much spot-on, as well!)

Getting into some nitpicks real quickly... The piano sequencing was pretty mechanical for the brief period that it came in, and the transition from the string intro into the body of the mix wasn't as smooth as it was going into the outro... Small stuff though, this is absolutely a pass in my book.

YES!

Oh man this is sweet. While I agree with Emu that the intro seemed a little out of place and wasn't quite helped with that transition, the attention to detail with the arrangement, the sound design, and the mixing just throws this way over the bar imo. Lack of a decent outro is a bit of shame tho. Awesome stuff regardless. I'm very cool with passing this.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

wasn't really feeling the violin sequencing early on, it was really stiff; I think the song would be better cutting that out completely. Once the chips hit, it was smooth and nice with a warm sound. I think the epiano could come down a few DB, and it was smooshing things a bit, but the rest of the mixing was good. The variation on the melodic instruments was really nice, and the transition to the breakdown was good. I enjoyed the modulation on the leads a lot, and the themes chosen worked well together.

The intro and ending were the weak points, but the rest of the track made up for it.

Yes

The piano sequencing was the weakest bit, but otherwise loved the variations and dynamics here. Nice job bookending this with the focus on strings, though IMO the resolution at the very end didn't quite work. :lol:

I'm making it short and sweet while I'm multitasking, but this was a great exploration of the credits theme here for sure. Keep 'em coming!

YES