OCR01443 - *YES* Mega Man 7 'Bombin' Shade of Blue'

djpretzel

OMG! HEAR IS REMICKS!Q

HEAR IT.!

Well originallly (check out that triple L action!) my plan was to only submit my VG arrangements to OCR in Chronological order.

Going back through my drawer of VG arrangments, I decided that I wouldnt be submitting everything.

(at least not in its current state. Expect something about wizards wearing armor in the near future reproduced and near-completely retooled from its currentform.)

So yeah, My Mother, Starfox, Earthbound, Kid niki the radical ninja, and gauntlet remixes all get the axe, unless I retool those later as well like I am with my classified remix debut of a cutting edge guitar synth that isnt pubblic yet. )

Anyways, I was listening to this track and pondering the question of why I hadnt submitted this to OCR yet. The answer was that the other older mixes were holding it back. givven the state of the judges panel, if I was to release this in the future, after I had submitted newer stuff, this one wouldnt have a chance at getting posted but for a direct post. it is not my intention to create music for no one to listen to, and for this reason I will only be submitting my remixes in chronological order. And no, I do not believe in the whole take it back and re-work it philosophy when put in the context of "this was the best I could produce at the time." this is a piece of my musical history, and should have a chance to go where everything else I have done does. Those other remixes are awesome, but a little too straight lace for OCR's standards, and the panel doesnt seem to give yes's anymore to music from remixers who have beben posted unless there is a signifigant pop/indy factor, a half dozen atonal melodies and 7 reclassification of mode and genre. Oh yeah obligatory Key changes are in. Gripes aside, they are an excellent control method, but i think they need to be more lax and really lower the bar. it turns off too many new mixers to music when they are told that they need to go back and redo it. If its a first time newb mix its one thing, but when there is signifigant musical value, bbut the production is flawed, its not fair to the Joe anybody who doesnt know where to get the latest and greatest or best free stuff.

Enough ramble.

This is a remix of Shademan from Mega man seven, dating back to PRC26.

Compyfox was too busy to balance and master this track for me :(. But he is still my mix monkey.

For those of you into MM7. Shademan was the level where if you held down A on the controller during the intro screen, hidden stage music would play. the music was from Ghosts and Goblins. So if you were wondering why the hell, well now you know why the hell. also, there is the normal shademan music all over the place in this obviously. :)

Be gentle, this one is oldish and wears Depends.

New obscure game mixes to follow soon! Yay!

Maybe not, silly 3 week waiting period before next submits.

Production Notes FYI included in ID3tag comments section:

Excerpt: " !! WEASELS IN MY PANTS~!!"

FEAR!!!!!!!

PS: Shael Riley for OCR judge 2006, Kamoh for OCR Janitor 2001

PSS: this mix will not pass the judging guidelines at OLR.

• 2 weeks later...

Good synths/samples, good production/good drum programming, and a respectable arrangement of the Shade Man theme.

This mix feels like a logical extension of the original, but still has plenty of it's own fresh ideas.

The use of the canonical "Stage Start" theme could have been cheesy, but it doesn't feel particularly out of place i.e. it makes sense in the context of the song. Actually, scratch that--it IS cheesy, but whatever, it fits..

What I enjoy about BSoB is that it gives plenty of love to that opening chord progression that the original hinges on. I think it's a good motif to base an arrangement on, and you did well in choosing it. The chiptune synth is also ten kinds of awesome, but I'm a sucker for that when it's used well.

The ending is just silly though. Seriously, strip that "game over mario" crap off and think of a real way to resolve what is for the most part a pretty damn good ReMix. You can do better than that.

YES (though I'm tempted to make this a NO RESUBMIT on account of your stupid ending. Shame.)

• 2 weeks later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mm7 - Shademan (mm7-14a.spc) & Shademan (Alternate) [mm7-14c.spc]

I'm unabashadly going the more subjective route here. There are some decent ideas, but I didn't like most of this track, either the writing or the execution. The results don't sound cohesive or polished like other mixes we've passed. If I could better articulate those issues, I would, but I'll do what I can to elaborate.

Cool chiptune intro. Bassline at :06 is almost too low, but it's aight. Sounded as if the bitrate was low for a few seconds around :12, as I heard some artifacts. Can't say I like those bombastic strings being quieter than the drumwork. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Lead synth is pretty grating at :33, but it's an acquired taste. The percussion there was very plain and didn't adequately fill the background. Phatty drums at :46 seemed too reverbed which I wouldn't have minded if it didn't just clutter the soundfield. The texture with that percussion, the lead, and the bassline wasn't clicking. Frankly, I don't think the combinations sounds ever clicked here in the first place.

I liked the break at 1:20, but the lack of a snare there from 1:33-1:47 couldn't drive the track along. That constant drum beat starting at 1:47 really dragged out when you retained in at 2:27 into another section. Thank God it finally ended at 2:39, because it was getting monotonous.

I didn't like the medleyitis writing of 1:46-2:06, but the use of the alternate Shademan theme from G'nG was good, as some of the Shademan theme was woven in very subtlely.

Drumwork from 2:47-3:07 was too plain/timekeeping. This actually felt too bombastic with no sense of judiciousness. Despite sounds being changed over the course of the 4 minutes (which I feel wasn't even pulled off very well in the first place, going back to the texture being weak), there wasn't much in the way of dynamics. The scope of the melodic arrangement felt too limited, and the whole thing doesn't flow at all. He ended with the SMB game over theme, so what? That ending is the least of the track's problems. The whole THING sound disjointed.

Sorry John, as mich as I like your stuff, the whole thing sounds haphazard. Too bad you're not willing to revisit this, as I think you could do a much better job with this now.

NO

Hotness! Love the sound textures. The chiptune opening was great, and it melded perfectly with the following texture. Nice transitions throughout, and the interpretation of an already awesome source material is great. I love all the little Capcom music quotes throughout the piece. Nice.

Concept and execution are both nicely handled.

Also, Mario ending = WTF. :P

Nice work. YES

To start with, since we had to mix this track for PRC26 I'm quite familiar with it, but it's been long enough since then that I'm not sick of the track anymore. (Edit: Went back and had a listen to the PRC26 version. Thank you for cleaning this up so much, that version was just nasty. ;))

The mix just stays on the acceptable level right the way through. The thing I like about it is that it rarely repeats anything, constantly adding new ideas right the way through, in both the arrangement and the sampling. The beat gets a little repetative on that basic every second-beat snare hit.

The other main issue for me is the dry sound of some of the samples used in the mix. The string hit sounds a little dry and basic for the overall sound of the mix.

Other than that, the arrangement wins the gold turkey in this mix. The mario ending was surprising and I think fit in well with the sound of the mix. Ultimately it's up to the artist to decide on how they want to end their mix and this is perfectly acceptable.

Nice mix, just a pity about those few sampling issues.

YES