#41 Bahamut

Bahamut

Moderator, Maverick Rising/Serious Monkey Business Director

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,857 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA, United States

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I personally am a huge fan of the Lost Odyssey soundtrack - IMO it's one of Uematsu's best.

I also like the Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Legendia soundtracks.
Liontamer: AND THEY HAVE A PLAYPLACE

#42 Xarnax42

Xarnax42

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Tales of Vesperia

That's funny. I was playing this on my keyboard as I pulled up your post:

Not as recent, but Tales of the Abyss had a good handful of really memorable tracks, too.
Posted Image

#43 Nick Hyral

Nick Hyral

Mudkip (+150)

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationCircleville, Ohio

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

I personally am a huge fan of the Lost Odyssey soundtrack - IMO it's one of Uematsu's best.

I also like the Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Legendia soundtracks.

I've not tried Lost Odyssey but looking up some of the music it doesn't sound too bad at all. And as for Tales of Vesperia I wasn't too impressed with the music at first.. then I ran into And was rather pleased with what I heard. From then on out there were more tracks that began to stick out in my mind. Was a real good game.
Posted Image

#44 Thalzon

Thalzon

Wario (+4000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Glad to see Xenoblade, Nier, and Lost Odyssey got mentions. All three are superb soundtracks.

I'm gonna add Rainbow Moon and Cthulhu Saves the World to that list. Very catchy songs in those collections.

bossmonth2015.png

#45 Darklink42

Darklink42

Terry Bogard (+1300)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between the lines

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I actually really dug the Alan Wake Soundtrack, and not just for Poets of the Fall either. Petri Alanko does a great job with capturing the atmosphere of the game, both in and out of it.

I've also got to cast a vote for Bastion, Radiant Historia (play this game, it's awesome) and Shatter.

I liked Assassin's Creed overall, even if the theme from Revelations sounds too much like Nolan's Batman, otherwise they tend to be solid tunes.
Posted Image
Thanks Mirby.
My short story blog:http://darklink42.tumblr.com/
"Ah yes, from the book of Contrivance 5:13." -Ectogemia

#46 Unstable Hamster

Unstable Hamster

JC Denton (+950)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

Gotta shout out to Intrusion 2. It's got a heavy soundtrack, and one of the reasons I feel it's a good soundtrack is that I was able to know exactly the level the song was for when I listened to it from the link. It shows that each track was distinct enough for me to catch it. Oh, and while you're at it, buy the game on steam. It's great.

Another great soundtrack is dustforce. Super chill, but still has some energy to it to keep it going.

Monster Tale. This is kind of an older game, I just loved the game, and the music went great with it. Has a great SNES feel to it.
Posted Image
3DS: 1504-5768-2443 (Let me know you added me!)

#47 EC2151

EC2151

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Um, I didn't know 2011 counted as "old."

#48 Flash Strife

Flash Strife

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • LocationMiami, Florida

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

Monster Tale. This is kind of an older game, I just loved the game, and the music went great with it. Has a great SNES feel to it.

I actually beat that game recently. It does have some nice tunes. I think what I remember most is that I played it while watching Spice and Wolf and the voice for Holo on that show also did the voice for Ellie, which I did not notice until the credits since there really wasn't much voice acting in the game, but a fun coincidence nonetheless. :razz:
Posted Image

#49 EC2151

EC2151

King Dedede (+2400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

In Monster Tale's case, the music is the only thing worth coming back to after finishing the game.

#50 Irish

Irish

Mudkip (+150)

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Has anyone mentioned Assassin's Creed III yet? Cuz holy fuck that music is awesome. Liberation, too.

The music that plays when you're doing a Boston Brawler mission is just. So freaking cool. And they called it Fight Club. Freedom Fighter track is good too.

Btw, hi all! :P
Posted Image
<+Anubis> Mirby: THE FUCKING THING I'M TRYING TO FUCKING FIND? I CAN'T FUCKING FIND THAT

#51 BardicKnowledge

BardicKnowledge

Bonus kun (+2900)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,956 posts
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I highly recommend checking out Darksiders II -- Emily Reese over at MPR's Top Score really enjoyed it, and for good reason, as the soundtrack is vastly improved over the original game.
Posted Image

#52 uhhh6677

uhhh6677

Goomba (+100)

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Can't get much more recent than both Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed III. Both have beautiful orchestral scores, and really are just so freaking cool.
Crash Bandicoot 3 Project RECRUITING: http://ocremix.org/f...ead.php?t=39260

#53 Mirby

Mirby

Audio Engineering Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,559 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Professor Layton's always had good music, and the recent Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask is no exception.

Posted ImagePosted Image
<+overcoat> I am totally a weaboo fangirl | Share & Enjoy now available! Click above! | <jeffball> my balls are everywhere

#54 Cerrax

Cerrax

Mario (+1900)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

The Killzone series has amazing music, especially the third (and most recent) installment. Where most games go for moody, heightened tension a la Inception or other recent blockbuster movies, Killzone is just balls-to-the-wall brass and timpani like a super-evil Star Wars score.
Posted Image

#55 Tensei

Tensei

Chrono (+3000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,638 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Dark Souls has a deliberately sparse soundtrack (music only plays during boss fights and a few particular areas) and a heavy emphasis on dissonant choral stuff. Then you make it to the final boss fight and this song plays.
<+Brandon> i have no issues
Posted Image

#56 Melbu Frahma

Melbu Frahma

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

*quasi-bump*

Came back in the thread to say that I recently got FTL on Steam, and (aside from being an all-around good game anyway) the music is really good. It's on the chippy-ish side, which kind of surprised me for a space game, but it made sense once I started playing. I feel like it does a good job of capturing the empty, lonely feel of running from a rebellion through sectors of space where it seems like EVERYONE wants to kill you.

I could've sworn someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 PROTO·DOME

PROTO·DOME

Kirby (+1500)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Everything Virt has done over the past five years.

Or ever.

Posted Image

#58 Flexstyle

Flexstyle

Judge, Double the Trouble! Producer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Has Borderlands 2 been mentioned yet? I listen to that soundtrack while reading, a lot. Makes a great backdrop for fantasy and sci-fi novels. Also, the new Devil May Cry soundtrack by Noisia and Combichrist. So intense.

#59 Annie Felis

Annie Felis

Goemon (+300)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Ni no Kuni just came out, and I must say the soundtrack is awesome. Then again it's by Joe Hisaishi, so it's it's a given.
Posted Image

#60 liquid wind

liquid wind

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'm pretty far behind on current gen games(just got a 360 a couple months ago), but Bastion is excellent as many people have said

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums