Chrono Cross - Guldove - Another World Orchestra

dummy

I've mostly been doing TV, and my own music lately, but I got around to a piece from the Chrono Cross track today that I figured people might enjoy. It's the Guldove - Another World track, with a little orchestra behind it:

| SoundCloud

As with my other posts, any comments or crits on the realism or the mix would be appreciated. It's finished as is but I like to learn what I could do better for future pieces.

I'm pretty happy with the final track, though I still don't think I managed to get the guitar to fit into the piece as well as I'd hoped - Too much room and it was muddy, too little room and it stuck out badly. I figured that this track would never be played live with a guitar in an orchestral hall, it would be overdubbed, and so how it is now should suffice. The Oboe was also so hard to get to a state where I was happy with it. As good as Woodwind libraries are nowadays, they could still be better.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any comments!

As far as production quality goes, I think this sounds great.

The arrangement on the other hand doesn't seem very different from the original. I might be missing something, but it sounds to me like more of a reorchestration or reinstrumentation than a true 'ReMix' (in the OCR meaning of the term). I pulled up the original, and they both seem to follow the same arrangement.

However, that only applies if you're thinking of submitting it. As far as enjoyability goes, I think this is fantastic. I've been playing through Chrono Cross recently, and I wish this version could be included in the actual game. I may have to go browse the rest of your soundcloud now...

[Edit] After looking at your profile to find your site, I see why the production of this is so good. Seems like you've got some good credentials in orchestral music. Thanks for sharing this!

I kept meaning to reply to this but getting halfway through and then being distracted with work.

Thanks for the kind words, Tyler , I appreciate it. It is very similar to the source - I tend to either make things really faithful, or completely different. I never really intend to submit a lot of my stuff as it really is too close most of the time.

Saying that, the original song is purely for Guitar and Oboe so everything else in my version was scored by myself. I'm glad that they fit in well!

Agreed; your stuff is amazing. I didn't realize you ever posted here; I recognize your name from demos for various sample libraries (not that I have the skill or time to use them, or the money to buy them, but I can dream, right? :D) I liked this version better than the original; the orchestration fits well without taking away from the quiet, mellow quality of the original.

My god, I've been following your recent orchestrations pretty religiously but this might be my new favorite. Your additional orchestration on top of the minimalist original fits so perfectly.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I mean, all of your work I've listened to recently is not just professional, but stacks up favorably next to other professional songs as well... which is to say, I can't help you, but thanks yet again for another fantastic piece. You've made a fan out of me. =)