Damon Campbell

User ID: 4656

Submission Info:

Chrono Cross

Song of Ruin part 2

Chronopolis

Original song Youtube link: http://youtu.be/OFT6Ox4Wiyc

Hey everyone!

This is one of my older remixes that I never really bothered to submit before. I was kinda disappointed with the EQing and I decided to wait until I'm a little bit better at mastering before I tried to submit it. I wanted to wait until I got some reviews on my WIP from the mods before I sent it in, but there's not too much action going on in the WIP forums, so I'll just use my own judgement.

Its been a long time since I last played CC, but there were a few tunes from the game that really stood out to me and stuck with me throughout the years. So, I'm attempting to create a series of remixes of those particular tracks to pay homage to the creators of this awesome game and soundtrack. Honestly, I'm not even sure what genre this remix would even fit in. I kinda came up with the concept on the fly by mixing a few different styles together. It was more of an experiment than anything, and I was really hesitant on submitting it since I've been having difficulties with my previous submissions. I decided to stick it up on YouTube and Soundcloud to see how people feel about it and I got some pretty positive feedback, so I decided to tweak a few things here and there and send it in. Here goes nothing...

Thanks,

Damon

The piano sample in the opening was a bit thin and exposed. The plucked string samples are a Blue Magic trademark at this point, but the quality & realism could really stand to be stepped up by now; not meant to be a shot at Damon, far from it, but IMO they lack of realism was too exposed.

I thought the rhythmic alterations here were an interesting concept, though on the first listen, the direction felt VERY scattershot and unfocused. Once I listened to it a second time and was familiar with the structure, that uneasiness went away and I could clearly hear how everything clicked.

Great source tune choice, and a cool spin on it for sure.

YES

• 1 month later...

Overall I think the dynamics of this could have been a lot more pronounced as far as big crescendos and releases, but otherwise it was a smart piece of music that was working for me throughout. I loved the different snare sounds and the blending of various synths with the more organic sounds. I agree with Larry that some of the samples were a bit on the thin side, but based on how the arrangement leaned more heavily of rhythmic interplay, I think it's more forgivable.

I like it, nice work.

Yes

It's nice to see more of a return to classic Blue Magic style of fusing soft electronic elements with acoustic instruments, I've always been such a fan of your work. The sequencing on your lead instruments feels a bit mechanical at times, but in a weird way it actually works with the unconventional drum patterns you've employed. I'm feeling the same uneasiness that Larry pointed out, but for me it felt more deliberate and actually contributed to the overall effect.

Instrumental samples are nothing special but you've worked with them well in the past, and that assessment still holds true with this track, as well. The vocal effects toward the end were really neat.

I dig it!

YES