OCR02528 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Royal Treasure"

djpretzel

well... I completely love this song!

Bobby Keller you have completed the composers feat of melding orchestra and chip perfectly. I really like how long the song lasted, which I believe added to the orchestral feel, it felt like this song could have ended at multiple places, but I was so glad to hear it keep going.

Hope to hear more unique pieces from you.

This is an excellent, unprecedented example of how to effectively integrate electronic sounds with an orchestra in a tonal environment. If a piece in this style isn't part of your portfolio as a composer moving forward, you should certainly consider one, even if it is this arrangement as opposed to an original work. Bravo!

This is one of the most unique remixes of 2012, and is going to be one of the pieces I use to showcase the possibilities that await composers willing to work outside of common practice period instrumentation. I can't wait to hear what you've got in store for all of us next!

All this praise not withstanding, Bobby, the challenge I set in front of you is this: How does one take this excellent music and transfer it to a live performance?

Lastly, I rarely mention this, but this piece also boasts one of the most interesting judge decision threads in a long while, in case people reading this want to learn more about how the site functions musically. Personally I don't think the mix is too long at all -- on the contrary, I think that there is room for a 10-13 minute piece in this style that further develops the source material, expanding on some of the brief references made to other pieces throughout. I would suggest that 10-13 minutes is not outrageously long for a short form orchestral work, and part of some judge "no" votes stems from a lack of experience with longer musical forms, and the hegemonic position held by the 3-4 minute "radio length" piece not just here on OCR, but in popular music at large. I rarely find myself disagreeing strongly with the judges decisions, including those who have voted "no" on mixes I liked quite a bit; that being said, I'm very glad that Larry stepped in and argued for this arrangement, as this piece of music IMO represents what OCRemix is all about more than any other in quite some time.

I was reading the comments as I listened to this great piece.

This is just plain awesomeness.

This should be in everyone computer. This is a mix to look at when you want to really expand a song from the original.

Actually I'm having difficulty expanding sources but listening to this track make me wanna try new things and be less biased to the genre.

We all still have to learn things, and I'm the first to. This mix is my new studying book! It feels new being old with the source.

I can take this as an example of what OCR is for.

Thanks Xenon for this awesomeness.

BTW chiptunes feels like they need to be there. :)

This is an excellent, unprecedented example of how to effectively integrate electronic sounds with an orchestra in a tonal environment.

Every time the RSS feed sets before me a new OC Remix I go in hoping that it's going to be orchestral. I didn't know what I would think of this fusion of genres, but I rate this as one of my top 15 favorite remixes. I look forward to hearing more in this vein in the future.

Quite possibly one of the coolest Remixes to get posted in a while, IMO - really inventive and interesting combination of genres. Love the whole piece, although there were a few points that stood out to me, like the quiet section ~ 1:15-1:31 which made me think immediately of Minecraft's soundtrack. Instant d/l.

I understand where the complaints are coming from: it is rather lengthy without necessarily introducing enough variation to merit it, especially considering how short the source is. And there are moments when the chips and the orchestra don't jive very well. I'm also really don't like the timing used in 0:55-1:05.

But other than those complaints, which are pretty minor, it's an excellent piece. I definitely don't think people should be discouraged from genre-bending like this on occasion. It would have been a real shame for this to get NO'd. OCR has passed more exotic efforts before.

Heck, OCR should probably encourage this sort of mix. We're fans of video game music, after all, and a hell of a lot of that is chiptunes. Mixes like this help establish the legitimacy of chiptunes as instruments that belong right alongside live instruments and more "traditional" synths.

I actually am rather taken aback that so many people are as surprised as they are. We've seen some of expertly crafted chiptune arrangements from the likes of virt and Shnabubula that almost have a symphonic quality to them. Sam's "NES Jams" has been heavily praised. halc just introduced 9-bit records -- granted, the synths on the debut album were a bit more advanced than what Bobby uses here, but they still show off their versatility. I'd have thunk the members of this community would almost think it obvious that chips can function as an instrument in a vast array of ensembles. As a novice mixer still looking for my own style, I've often considered that symphonic chiptunes have been woefully unexplored and could very likely be a direction I end up focusing toward. So I'm not surprised at all how well this works, but I'm thrilled to see it getting out there. I love the timing of this release, too; I just bought the Wreck-It Ralph soundtrack a few days ago, and while the score is primarily straight orchestra, there are handful of cues that fuse chiptunes into the mix.

About the piece: gorgeous.

I actually am rather taken aback that so many people are as surprised as they are.

This is hardly the first time I've heard chippy sounds outside of a chiptune, but I wouldn't have thought they would meld so well with orchestral instruments. Which is stupid, because, now that I think about it, this actually reminds a lot of the Super Mario Galaxy OST, where iirc that same combination was used with similarly great results. For some reason, though - maybe because I read the writeup before actually listening to the track - it sounded like an odd combo in writing before I actually listened to the track. If I hadn't read the writeup first I might not have been so surprised.

I also half-expected an OLReMix, which this very clearly isn't. :P

Edited by Dafydd

7 seconds in: "There's orchestra..... and chip sounds? That's...........That's incredible! This is amazing!"

Okay okay, now that I've actually listened to it for reals:

This is fantastic. Not only is the unusual combination of instruments used very effectively, the new approaches used on the source melodies are really fun and creative. When songs get recreated this well it makes me hope that somehow somebody over at Nintendo discovers it and shows it to Kondo over breakfast one morning and tells him "Man, look what somebody did with your stuff! I thought this was so cool!" The people who create these legendary pieces of music -compared to fan remixers- have a relatively limited opportunity to re-imagine and re-reveal their own work to us players, as the primary way we see their work is in the form of the games themselves which contain them. I hope they see things like this, enjoy the new angles and directions people explore with their songs, and get an idea of how much we enjoy their music.

Edited by Skolar

Thanks for all the comments guys; I'm flattered to say the least. I kind of agree the arrangement goes on for a little bit, but after each section I did, it didn't feel like a good place to end, so...it took a couple of sections to finally get there. The piano at 5:50 is actually me playing, albeit it with a little quantizing.

All this praise not withstanding, Bobby, the challenge I set in front of you is this: How does one take this excellent music and transfer it to a live performance?

In general, probably an EWI or

hooked up to whatever flavor of synth is needed for melodies and harmonies, and a regular ol' synthesizer could be used for chords. The issue would be the arpeggios...either they'd have to be already programmed, or maybe you could attach a synth or pedal to a harp's amplifier, so when a string is plucked, the resulting pitch would also sound. That'd make the arpeggios somewhat plausible to human capabilities, but the more I think about it, the less I think it would work since acoustics don't work like that. I mean, there's always the route of having everything electronic-wise pre-programmed, and then just played alongside the acoustic instruments,

For this particular piece? Ha, who knows; I'd have to go through again and make sure what I did would be physically possible to play. Plus if that opportunity even arose, I'd probably re-write the tune or just write a new one.

I am listening to the piece for the first time as I type this, and I can say that I have so far NOT heard anything that would make me say that the orchestral/chip combination sucks. I was engrossed from the first second, and am still awestruck at how sweeping this sounds. (I don't want to use a certain overused four-letter word that starts with "E." Suffice it to say, it sounds like a piece of music that would go perfectly with a panoramic shot of Hyrule; it is that grand.) If Zelda OoT was ever made into a movie, THIS should definitely be in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Fantastic orchestra, and combining it with chiptunes was brilliant. I don't want to say that I was surprised as much as I'd say that I'm delighted to hear such a combination work out like this. And of course I'm a sucker for Windmill Hut, so I'm glad to hear it in there. Creative arrangement, solid production, and great usage of sources. Triple threat of a mix that wins!

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02528 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Royal Treasure"