Maplestory - Ellinia Dungeon

Spi.der.men

I took the feedback I got from one of my other songs and tried to apply it here.

The first time through is more or less a straight cover until the drums kick in and I start adding some of my own stuff. But I would also like to to hear what more I can work on!

http://soundcloud.com/imspidermen/ellinia-dungeon

New version (better mixing i think)

The clipping you have there caused by the compressor and/or limiter is pretty harsh, everything playing is practically competing to be the frontmost. Especially so in the end, just before the fade out begins.

Ease up the comp/lim you have on top of everything, and while your at it you might want to consider lowering the volume of the bass a bit as well. If you want/have to do a lot of compressing, I'd suggest doing it (subtly, of course) on individual tracks at first. That way there's less chance that the tracks start competing like that. :smile:

Adding drums to a cool, mellow song like this is a lot of fun to hear. Arrangement-wise, this is awesome. The processing isn't right, yet, I'd have to say.

The clipping you have there caused by the compressor and/or limiter is pretty harsh, everything playing is practically competing to be the frontmost ... Ease up the comp/lim you have on top of everything, and while your at it you might want to consider lowering the volume of the bass a bit as well.

I'm glad somebody who knows what they're talking about brought up the clipping and bass, those were what I picked up as the main issues as well, I think.

I think this will sound fantastic once you fix the mixing issue.

I'm not sure how you accomplished it here, but the depth that the bass, guitar, and piano all have in relation to each other is very impressive. I really wanna hear this one again once that mix is fixed!

The clipping you have there caused by the compressor and/or limiter is pretty harsh, everything playing is practically competing to be the frontmost. Especially so in the end, just before the fade out begins.

Ease up the comp/lim you have on top of everything, and while your at it you might want to consider lowering the volume of the bass a bit as well. If you want/have to do a lot of compressing, I'd suggest doing it (subtly, of course) on individual tracks at first. That way there's less chance that the tracks start competing like that. :smile:

Thanks! Tips in mixing are always helpful! I'll start bringing stuff down and hopefully it starts sounding better!

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, nice.

I started playing sections of the old and new version back to back, trying to figure out what exactly it was that you changed. I'm not quite able to pick it out, is it just some settings with the compressor? The new version sounds much more professional.

Seriously, very, very nice. I think listening to this inspired me to have a better day. :)

Dude, nice.

I started playing sections of the old and new version back to back, trying to figure out what exactly it was that you changed. I'm not quite able to pick it out, is it just some settings with the compressor? The new version sounds much more professional.

Seriously, very, very nice. I think listening to this inspired me to have a better day. :)

I didn't really change much from the original and I'm trying to work my way up to changing more and more stuff haha, but in this one I added the little flutish and bellish (not real words) lines after the drums come in, and the piano solo about 3/4ths through was original. I also added a few bass walkups and just made the bass play more in line with the drums in general (i love bass stuff) :-P I also changed up the drum beat at around 1:30 so it could sound more like a pre-chorus going into a solo

Everything in the first part of the song before the drums come in is pretty much a direct midi remix and I left that part untouched.