FL Studio Remix Gauntlet -- Round 8 starts now, Round 6 results

Jason Covenant

FL Studio Remix Gauntlet

Current News: (2/10/13) This week's theme is "The Final Push". We've all been there -- that last part of completing a large mix or game when the novelty has long worn off but you still want to complete it. Tasks that were once enjoyable have gotten old and gratingly familiar. Still, you're so close to being done, you have to finish. So you load up the game/DAW for the last time, and thus begins the music of the final push. So for this week, you will be remixing those first tracks that greet you upon loading up a game, along the following criteria:

-- The source must be either the intro or title music to the game.

-- The name of the game must start with the same letter as your forum name.

Mixes are due by 2/24/13 at 2pm ET.

Oh, and Round 7 mixes are up.

Round 6 results.

Voting: Send your votes to me via private message using the following format:

1. Remixer Name

2. Other Remixer Name

3. The Name of A Different Remixer

"1." is your first place choice, "2." is your second place choice, etc.

You will get the equivalent of a first place vote for your team's mix when you vote, so be sure and vote. If your team turned in a mix this week, you are allowed to vote for your own team, due to there being only 3 entries. The rules are the same as usual for everyone else. No need to include reviews in your pm, as your votes will remain private. You are more than welcome to post reviews in the thread. Voting is live NOW. Voting ends 2/24/13 at 2pm ET.

Past rounds:

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

~~~

Introduction: I always enjoyed the challenge of using only FL Studio's most basic tools and samples in Ben Briggs' FLMC compos, not to mention the fun of flp sharing. And I loved Darkesword's Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet for the teamwork and getting to know my awesome team members. (Viva la Concrete Men!) Well, I thought it would be nice to try and bring both concept together in one compo. I think it will offer a useful challenge for experienced mixers and important learning experiences for newer remixers. Even if FL Studio isn't your primary DAW, I think there's something to be said about working within limitations and diversifying your skills.

Format: Participants will organize into teams of 3. Each week, 1 person from each team will be the primary remixer while the other 2 team members are allowed to assist, so long as the primary remixer still does the majority of the remix. Flp sharing is encouraged. Only samples and plugins that come with FL Studio (without additional purchases or upgraded versions) will be allowed unless otherwise stated. I will provide a full list of allowed samples/plugins before the beginning of round 1. It is recommended that all team members use the same version of FL Studio. Sources will be announced at the beginning of each round.

Teams:

1. One Hour Conquistadors 1534 points

Flexstyle

Ghetto Lee Lewis

DDRKirby(ISQ)

2. TEAM FAUX VASECTOMY 1229 points

ectogemia

Phonetic Hero

Ben Briggs

3. Wild Cash Dinosaurs 959 points

TheRexAsaurous

wildfire

Cash and Change

4. Team Floaty Lizard-Bee 622 points

Sir_NutS

Theory of N

BlackPanther

5. Team Goat Rotisserie 510 points

Modus

Zerothemaster

ProjectSpam

6. Team GBA 144 points

alfredofreak

Generdyn

Bleck

FLP Guidelines:

Only the following are allowed. If it's not on this list, don't use it. Some of these may have 'Fruity' before their name in the program. Note also that while Soundfont Player and Direct Wave are allowed, only samples/fonts on this list can be used in them.

Generators:

3OSC

Autogun

Beepmap

BooBass

DirectWave

FL Keys

FL Slayer

Fruit Kick

Fruity Vibrator

Granuliser

KeyBoard Controller

Plucked

Slicer

Soundfont Player

Speech Synthesizer

TS404

WaveTraveller

FX Plugins:

7 Band Eq

Balance

Bass Boost

Big Clock

Blood Overdrive

Center

Chorus

Compressor

db Meter

Delay

Delay 2

Delay Bank

EQUO

Fast Dist

Fast LP

Filter

Flanger

Flangus

Formula Controller

Free Filter

Limiter

Love Philter

Multiband Compressor

Mute 2

Notebook

PanOMatic

Parametric EQ

Parametric EQ2

Peak Controller

Phase Inverter

Phaser

Reeverb

Reeverb 2

Scratcher

Send

Soft Clipper

Spectroman

Squeeze

Stereo Enhancer

Stereo Shaper

Vocoder

Wave Candy

Wave Shaper

X-Y Controller

Samples:

Anything in the "Packs" folder. Make sure it is the FL Studio 10 edition of this folder.

Submission Guidelines:

Turn in flp's or zipped loop packages only via private message. If you use multiple flp's or need to export wav's, use a zipped loop package. Do not turn in more than one file.

Edited by Jason Covenant

I'm going on vacation from Dec 21 to 31, so I'd only be able to be the remixer in the third week. Is there anyone who wants me on their team?

This sounds awesome, count me in, except for the fact that I still need teammates.

Anyone out there love me? anyone?

I'm willing to join you. :smile:

I haven't used FL Studio myself, only Reaper. It looks like the current free demo of FL has a severe limitation: you can't open a saved project file. Are people just using an older version, then?

Or perhaps a better question: Is there a good starter guide on using FL for free? I used AMT's and Sir_NutS's guides for Reaper, and that worked out great.

I haven't used FL Studio myself, only Reaper. It looks like the current free demo of FL has a severe limitation: you can't open a saved project file. Are people just using an older version, then?

Or perhaps a better question: Is there a good starter guide on using FL for free? I used AMT's and Sir_NutS's guides for Reaper, and that worked out great.

The free edition is really just for demonstration, not for practical use. Maybe torrent it and then buy it when you can afford it?

And I thought the free edition had a lot more limitations than just not being able to save the project? Correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, though, that's a pretty crippling limitation unless you're DDRKirby(ISQ) or something and you can pump out full tracks in a few minutes.

The free edition is really just for demonstration, not for practical use. Maybe torrent it and then buy it when you can afford it?

And I thought the free edition had a lot more limitations than just not being able to save the project? Correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, though, that's a pretty crippling limitation unless you're DDRKirby(ISQ) or something and you can pump out full tracks in a few minutes.

Mmph. If the only options are to pirate it or shell out $99, I'm out. I can't justify a hundred bucks on a hobby I'm just getting started in. And I work for an ISP, so I know that yes, it is totally possible to get caught torrenting or downloading pirated software, they just usually don't bother because it's so commonplace. Let me know if y'all ever hold a Reaper compo.

The Legend of HowToGetPosted:

1) Get FruityLoops

2) Download a .mid

3) Load it in FruityLoops

4) Move the bars around a bit

5) Make it 2:45 minutes long

6) Render to 192kbps

I'm in because I need to quit making "remixes" like that. :tomatoface:

No idea about a team though...

Anyone know of any words that rhyme with "total victory?"

Chernobyl Rotisserie :<

Edited by alfredofreak

Hmmm, interesting. To join or not to join, that is the question...

Even if I don't, I'll try to keep up with this and see where it goes.

You wanna be on my team? I'll be using FL Studio 9, just FYI.

Anybody else want to join, please send me an FLP so I know you're competent. =)

I just asked DDRKirby to join my team also.

Edited by Ghetto Lee Lewis

DUDE! Heck yeah! Remixes are always clunky for me to start, but FL Studio defaults is easy peasy no problem loads of fun! Totally doing this.

I still remember KTHX2. Actually, I still remember the giant FL collab project from wayyyy back when that included Prophecy, Beatdrop, Nasseman, and a whole other bunch of people that I can't remember. Pretty epic times...