Pacific Rim

Hyperion5182

Del Toro's next big flick is coming out and the trailers are up...

Uhh however. About 45 seconds in...You encounter....well I'm just gonna let you guys figure it out yourselves.

Del Toro has yet to disappoint me and i don't think he's gonna start here.

A cookie if you can identify...well i think you'll be able to guess.

Honestly I felt that the voice takes away from the trailer. Feels like it doesn't belong and indeed the only time I would've wanted to hear GlaDOS' voice at the movies would've been during the Joss Whedon-helmed/penned Portal movie***, but that's just me. As for the content of the trailer itself, I suppose the premise is as interesting as any other summer action/explosion film, though let me disclaim, I am a fan of Del Toro's works (and maybe not so secretly wish he had been in control of the Shadow of the Colossus film adaption****, if that has to be made.)

*** This film is not rumored, confirmed nor denied to be in production in any way/shape and/or form.

**** This one, unfortunately, is.

Edited by ocre

Yeah, so far, everyone is all "GLADOS IS IN THIS MOVIE! OMFG!! LOLOLOLOL!", and ignoring the trailer's content.

So I don't have high hopes for this movie.

I might see it after it comes out, like... on netflix or something.

Wait, so why is it you don't have high hopes for this movie?

Del Toro isn't exactly a lightweight when it comes to directing movies, and there are a lot of nifty little details about the movie that indicate it will be more like a big loveletter to the mecha/kaiju genre (the monsters are even specifically referred to as 'kaiju') than a generic Michael Bay style explosion flick.

Edited by Tensei

Del Toro isn't exactly a lightweight when it comes to directing movies, and there are a lot of nifty little details about the movie that indicate it will be more like a big loveletter to the mecha/kaiju genre (the monsters are even specifically referred to as 'kaiju') than a generic Michael Bay style explosion flick.

The problem with that is most of the people who go see it will be expecting a generic Michael Bay style explosion flick, and all the references and little in-jokes will sail over their heads. This thing is looking like it'll be brilliant, but only to the folks who are familiar with the source material.

Del Toro isn't exactly a lightweight when it comes to directing movies...

M. Night Shyamalan was once considered the golden boy of Hollywood, and he could do no wrong.

I'd like to point out that the Del Toro, while he may have made Pan's Labrinyth (a true orgasm of style and artwork, with a compelling story), he also made Mimic and Blade 2. His is hardly perfect.

Even if it is a giant homage to old monster movies... I don't like old monster movies. I don't hate them, I just don't have any interest in them. So this movie is already below the threshold of interest. And now for the "you just hate it for no reason" comments...

In fact, the entire point of a trailer is to show me something that will make my brain go "hey, that's interesting, let's go see that, and I will release some of those neurotransmitters you like so much". This trailer did not do that, regardless of the intent of the director or the plot.

I just have don't want to see it.

Edited by The Damned

GlaDOS...you know, from
? The cake is a lie?

Also, the voice isn't synthesized at all. They specifically got the same voice actress and use very similar fx processing on it, which is what kinda bothers me, because it's SO iconic that a lot of people instantly associate it with Portal.

Del Toro's game project fell through...Is there half i mean HALF a chance that the portal tech used in this game could at all be related to...oh god. You GOTTA wonder now. It isnt ENTIRELY out of the realm of possiblity that Valve could have their hands in this...The copyright would CLEARLY extend to that voice. THIS just became a LOT more interesting now that i've given it some thought.

• 6 months later...

SO! I got to see Pacific Rim tonight for some reason! I thought it came out on the 12th, but if they really wanna show it on the 11th....

Anyway, I thought it was pretty great. I dunno if it's the fuel of human dreams or whatever Kojima was saying, but it was definitely a cool movie, even though I thought the ending was a little bit weak. It's a fantastic slugfest of monsters and robots though, and did we really need anything else? That, and I got that sweet poster by the MGS artist as well! XD

Edited by CinnamonJihad

I saw Pacific Rim tonight and it is fairly standard by all means of qualification. It practically follows Independence Day beat for beat. But the execution is top-notch and while the lack of any real connection with the characters is disappointing, the movie never felt dull or underwhelming.

That said, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a summer blockbuster disaster movie with giant robots and killer monsters. If you're looking for more than that, you might be asking too much from this flick. The fight scenes are the meat and potatoes, and as long as you like those meat and potatoes, this movie is f-ing awesome.

Edited by Cerrax