OCR00369 - Final Fantasy VII "Oppressed Swamp Dub"

Saunders

• 2 months later...

This is probably one of my favorite remixes. I especially love the chaotic bit near the end. I think it does its job well, tells a story... it's just a great song. Give it a listen if you haven't already.

I don't know how to spell it correctly, but the little vocal thing in this mix is from an anime called Rurouni Kenshin. I was listening to this song right after I watched some of the Kenshin episodes. One of the characters named Saito is talking about how people will always be the same. He says that he lives for his philosophy Aku, Soku, Zan (swift, sin, slay). And I forget what he says right before this, but he then says "Anakoro, soshte imao" (again, I don't really know how to spell it) translates as, "Not then, and not now."

:D Samiril

• 4 months later...

I really like this mix, although as I write this I'm only half-way through listening to it for one time. I like the way that you've taken the basic theme, converted it to a bassline and it's all building out of there. I also like the stutter effect on the bass the second time around. Oh! some funky, creepy synths. A bit odd, and occasionally a tad to high pitched but very ATR. Is that synths? What the hell is that? Anyway, it sounds good, very much like ATR at the end, and really slow and moody at the start, sounds like the best kind of electronica.

• 2 months later...

Wow... What can I say....

I have personally 'dub'bed this "crack music" (pardon the pun). Anyway, all my friends that have listened to this all seem to agree. This is the type of music you listen to when you are so messed up on some sort of drug, that you no longer know what the hell is going on... That's why we all love it! I love how it builds up to throughout the whole piece, then just throws it all in at once at you, and you just get overwhelmed by the intensity. I especially like how about a 2:00 in, most of the music just starts quickly panning between the left and right sides (mostly just the bass at this point), and does it again with the distortion around 3:20. Seriously, kick ass. KEEP IT UP!

• 4 months later...

Wow, this may well be my first negative review.

The original song was good enough to put into your car stereo. This sounds like he took the song and started playing with options on his editing program. It's more of a study of options than a remix. The only moments I enjoyed this remix were when the original came through undistorted and free of any other sound effects.

• 4 months later...

I disliked most of this remix. The begining is too slow, didn't change much...just not that great...but I absolutely love about 3:40 on, this may be because I'm an electric guitar whore but I felt it really added to it. All in all this is a good mix but I often find myself skipping to the end as the rest of it is pretty boring.

I didn't mind it. At least the beginning. I didn't particularly understand why the author took a piece made to represent a bustling market scene, and turned it into a swamp piece.

But the beginning works. I just love the piece. The original was the first video game music I ever heard. And thus defines the video game scene for me.

From about 1:40-2:10 is alright. Then the delay effect overwhelms the theme a bit too much.

After 3:00 I don't know what the hell happened, but it's possibly the worst distortion I've heard so far in a remix here.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, this may well be my first negative review.

The original song was good enough to put into your car stereo. This sounds like he took the song and started playing with options on his editing program. It's more of a study of options than a remix. The only moments I enjoyed this remix were when the original came through undistorted and free of any other sound effects.

i kinda have to agree with this. the original has a nice hip beat that you could jam out to in your car or whereever. this remix took that away and i am most definitely not a big fan of the distortion in the end.

• 6 months later...

I just love this piece. It's off the wall, and yet so... slow and chillin'. Defnitely enjoy this piece even though I have dozens of songs that are hyperactive to an insane level. This is a sort of balance when I'm not feeling in that sugar-induced hyperactive mode. And to top it off, that distortion it goes crazy with near the end is awesome in a way that I never figured crazy distortion would be. An excellent swamp piece by isopropyl, 9/10.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This song is very nice, and mellow in the first two and a half minutes until it hits a wall at the end.

I will have to disagree with the Hon. Pretzel on the "tightly controlled distortion" at the end. It goes on for FAR too long, and IMO should never have been placed. It sounds like an afterthought and doesn't fit. I would have preferred the removal of one instrument at a time or a FADE to this. Possibly leaving only the frog to make one last croak before ending it.

Sorry, the end does not justify the means.

65/100

• 5 months later...

I like this mix a lot... When I listen to it I sort of picture it as a charater's theme song. The main part sounds like he's just a shadowy character, and when the insane distortions come in, it makes it sound like, well, he's going insane. Really awesome piece if you ask me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To compare this remix with the original is like compare a slum with a swamp. Maybe a bad simile, but this wasn't THAT different from the org. I like the swampy synth, really gave out that swamp feel alright, but this remix was more focused on the beats, drums and all the other funny sounds in the back, like the frog for instance, haha. But the melody was almost fogotten, it was played with strings, but the melody is good, I think it deserves a better instrument. Maybe not my thing to say, but still. And last of all, the synth in the end. Let's just say that I have to go and replace my eardrums.

Summary: Nice beats and such, synth good with the name, last synth a little more of chaotic for my taste.

• 2 years later...

I agree with previous sentiments.

Great theme! Poor Ending...

This is the final, so you're probably not going to rework it.

However, for future reference, remember that music is as much about emotion as it is about technicality. Try to have an emotionally satisfying ending, this would make any amazing song all the more, well, amazing!

• 9 months later...

There seems to be a lot of black and white opinions on this mix, but I can say when I first heard it years ago I was right in the middle. I liked the build up (loved it really) but didn't apreciate the distortion because of the extreme shift in volume (not the distortion itself).

Hearing it now is a little slice of heaven. Because I know what to anticipate, it doesn't break the mellow progressive mood. Rather it's like it ignights the mix and spreads like a violent fire carefully paced by the bass drum. Like a heart pumping gassoline.

As with the sunset, if you fixate on the light you'll miss the vista.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00369 - Final Fantasy VII "Oppressed Swamp Dub"