What headphones or monitors (speakers) should I buy?

zircon

I personally wouldn't recommend speakers at all due to the fact that a cheap(like $20) pair of headphones usually sound better than a $50 pair of speakers, I also feel you should list the fact you may want a Sound Card for either choice as my 3 year old laptop's integrated sound is worse than my 6 or 7 year old SoundBlaster card(which wasn't even the best on the market at that time).

• 4 months later...

I personally have little combo going. I use AKG K240's for my recording and rough mixing (very reliable company, I still have my old AKG K220 M's as a back up) and a pair of Event 20/20's for my serious editing. I would not recommend Beyer Dynamic DT 770's because the drivers are prone to blowing out. Granted, they have good response, but I personally feel that they provide that "sexy" sound low and high boost and colorize the sound too much. The Event 20/20's are great, but the low end simply isn't there. Gotta get a sub (which I haven't purchased yet). Speaking of subs, any ideas there? It needs to be active, like the Event's, and reasonably priced. Thanks guys!:-)

• 3 months later...

So I've finally decided to get a pair of studio monitors as right now I'm having to mix everything on my headphones.

I'd be looking to spend AT MOST £150 (which is roughly $240 or 175 Euros apparantly). I know this budget won't allow me to get brilliant monitors, mainly it would just be nice to be able to play mixes out loud.

So i'd just like to know if anyone here can reccomend me any within my price range?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Yes, you most probably don't have the room and the workspace set up for the 8s because the bass will get too dominant, break your mix and ear pleasure. KRK RP6s are the perfect balance for an average room/studio. At best, you must treat your room.

My monitors: KRK Rokit 6 G2 (around 500-600$)

My headphones: Shure SHR 440 (around 120-140$)

I recommand both for the prices and quality, but one can always go higher with money :)

well my room is fairly big, but i will go with the rp6s

Are Sennheiser HD-280s generally considered pretty decent for mixing? I was planning on getting mixing headphones rather than monitors since I don't want to spend a ton of money (headphones are cheaper) and will probably be moving into an apartment soon (less noise), but I already have the HD-280s and read some positive comments about them earlier in this thread. Up until now I had just thought of them as listening headphones. If they're good enough for mixing with, I might be able to go ahead and spend ~$300 on a pair of decent monitors.

Also, a friend of mine just gave me his old Alesis Monitor One reference monitors. Not the Monitor One Mk ii, I'm talking the original Monitor Ones which were apparently introduced back in the '90s and are now discontinued. Is it safe to assume those aren't even worth getting an amp for and hooking up? I did some looking around and saw some mixed comments on them, but most of the reviews I found were super old and thus likely outdated.

• 5 weeks later...
Don't get any closed headphones. IMO Senns are typically very closed and thus make it hard to do bass mixing properly. Get semi-open headphones like AKG240s or Beyerdynamic DT880s.

Do you think headphones officially made for monitoring (like the 240s) offer good results with mixing?

Don't get any closed headphones. IMO Senns are typically very closed and thus make it hard to do bass mixing properly. Get semi-open headphones like AKG240s or Beyerdynamic DT880s.

Dead on my friend. I have a pair of each for both studio and live mixing and I'll never look back. The DT880's are far superior in my opinion, but I may just be a BeyerDynamic fanboy (I had a pair of 770's for almost 5 years before my current set). My boss however (who is a 25+ year engineer by profession), swears by the Sennheiser 280's and Sony V900's. I guess it's preference.

who is a 25+ year engineer by profession

that's why he swears by them =) when it comes to different models of high-quality, high-end headphones, what you're used to and practiced on is almost better than something with a more accurate response. i still think that certain styles mix better on a crappy logitech 2.1 system than my current set of studio monitors.

So AKG K-240 is a good choice for headphones? I feel that it would be nice to have something better to use instead of my 3-year old cheap headset that I've been using so far.

My friends say they're really good, and zircon includes them in his posts a lot so I would assume so. I think the Studio versions are the same thing with less meaningless features, and they're $80 on Amazon. Not bad for monitoring headphones.