OCR02567 - Metroid Prime "Relics of an Ancient Race"

djpretzel

This is a pretty sweet mix.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the super fuzzy snare (I'm assuming it's a snare drum anyway) that appears during 0:33 - 0:54, but it cleans up quickly and doesn't return, even during the acoustic section starting at 3:18 where a similar sort of distant quality is used.

I like the contrast between the all-out recognizable source segments and the gentler fills (that sometimes use recognizable source as well).

Overall, I think it's a really strong mix that has a personality that can be further strengthened in future mixes.

Wow, this was unexpected. I found the judges thoughts interesting. I don't blame anyone if they think it's too liberal. Nearly all of the song references some part of the original, but some of the sections are pretty changed up from the source. I actually thought about writing to the judges and explaining all the parts, but decided I was being paranoid.

Wow, this was unexpected. I found the judges thoughts interesting. I don't blame anyone if they think it's too liberal. Nearly all of the song references some part of the original, but some of the sections are pretty changed up from the source. I actually thought about writing to the judges and explaining all the parts, but decided I was being paranoid.

Haha, I'm glad I caught that extra source usage, it's kind of tucked away in the source tune.

Really fantastic work here, I can't praise you enough for this remix. I've been terribly impressed with everything you've done lately, I'd love to work with you on a project someday :-)

Holy crap the beat in this is infectious. Let's see...

You got serious backers like punchy drums, a low shredding guitar, choral/orchestral synths, and what sound like pseudo-gunshots. A number of these swell or are modulated during set spaces, like the latter part of a movement or bar, in order to create emphatic "sit up and take notice" moments, often strung together to bring out the full force of part of the source. Take 0:53-1:15, for example. This chunk, IMO, is what lifts the mix off the ground, sounding suspenseful, Goldeneye-ish, and driving all at once, but still manages to pile on the power and aggression before it's done. You can imagine how I feel about related movements later on (especially 3:38+ with its key change).

2:18+ not only offers a pleasant bell/chime counterbalance to the surrounding potency, but it also eases into TWO MORE attention-grabbing points, one after another: the silent fraction of a second acts as a "wait, wha-" dip in the music, then the Chozo Ruins theme emerges triumphantly with a posse of (aforementioned) hardcore supporters.

I can't get enough of this. Well, well played. *claps*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02567 - Metroid Prime "Relics of an Ancient Race"