OCR01442 - Chrono Trigger "Door to the End of Time"

djpretzel

Sometime ago I had the opportunity to hear this in its early WIP stage, back when it was called "Gates at the End of Time". I had no idea who wrote it, or how it managed to get into my collection, but at least now I know just where it went.

And I'd also like to echo Shna's comment about how amazing a creation Blake has created at the age of 16. Blake, you should totally get your school orchestra to play this song.

djblizihake you've created something magical. i love it. great work, and at such a young age too. can't wait to collab in the future ;)

ps: reallly sorry about the mirror, claado. i've been away from my computer on vacation and i havent been able to access my ftp from this pc. as soon as i get back, i promiiiseee a mirror :(

I'm really not much familiar with the game. Never noticed this project as well. I will be looking for the Red Omen's Song. Heheh nice.

This is an awesome new mix from Blizihazihadablake too. I love that part at 1:28. Very soft. This mix have more variations than the original.

The instrumentation is pretty neat. Production is well placed. Nothing boring here. Great stuff.

A snippet from my review of Chrono Symphonic on Mr Perdue's track:

I wouldn't have counted Door to the End of Time to premiere Chrono Symphonic on the OCR front page, but after, actually listening to it, one realises its flair in using several source tunes to recreate Chrono Trigger on the silver screen. From the interesting intro to the fading ending, the transitions help capture the feeling without being too long or tedious. I've always liked Set Sail, and to see more from Blake is a treat. Nice work.

I'm a little surprised that this song, out of all on the project, made it here, since some of the others are really fantastic. As for this song, it's decent, and the quality of the samples is good (but then, judging a song by the quality of its samples is nearly as bad as judging a game by its graphical content), but the arrangement just completely loses its energy around halfway through the mix (Around 3:40). The next 10 seconds are positively bombastic, and probably should have been thrown out of the mix.

Overall, the first half is good, but the second needs work.

I rarely review remixes, because I really don't have a musical ear, nor the ability to really isolate things I do or don't like about a particular piece of music.

I'm not sure about this piece, however. I like the genre of the music, and god knows I love the source... but for some reason, I just don't think it flowed together so well. Perhaps if the "main" notes of the individual themes were a bit stronger, it would make it easier to follow.

Yes, this is exactly why I don't review remixes. I don't know what the hell im saying.

• 4 weeks later...

About time that Blizihizake made an another remix. His Set Sail was excellent, and I could hear some of the samples from it here too.

the beginning of it is quite fitting. The End of Time is, to be exact, nothing unless of two rooms that floats in nothingness. Yeah, it's weird alright, and you felt it in the music. When the strings started playing, you thought it was getting serious, then it fell and started playing strings instead. Aaaand then it builds up again, continues with its stringplay, but this time it at least get a little further in process. I got a little sceptic when it suddenly changed over to frog's theme, it happen too abrupt, although it happened with soft instruments.

But then it went good again, the reinforcements consisiting of church bells and some heavier orchestric instruments really made an impressed smile in my face. Beautiful stuff. Then it went even happier, and I love that part when that strange instrument I don't the name of jumps onto the scene right after the piano. Spiced this remix up with some new cultural flavours. Then Bliz smoothed everything out by letting the strings and the harp run on autopilot until it faded out.

No major wrongs with the music, great stuff. My only problems may be the wide selections of themes used in this remix, and also how the remix didn't really fit with the feel it was supposed to have. This was the End of Time, but after you've listened a while to it, you suddenly think that it's about fields full of pretty flowers. Nothing wrong with happy remixes OR flowers, but I felt that most of the remix's joyful attitude didn't suit the situation in the story.

Or maybe it did? I must check the script for that thing......

Anyhew, great follow-up of an remix Blake/Blizihizake. :D

• 1 month later...

Overall very nice, reminds me somehow of holst's jupiter in the somewhat playful use of themes. As for suggestions from someone with little musical aptitude, I would say bring the theme at 2:15 out more powerfully and possibly run with it a little more. The end also sorta dies out without a fight. Leaves one expecting a powerful finisher, but it doesn't come.

Why, for the love of Alla, does everyone keep remixing ChronoTrigger? Everyone knows that ChronoCross is by far the musically superior game in the series. Well, at least, I know that... 3 cheers for Mitsuda!

Anyways, I didn't have as much a problem with the samples in the track so much as it didn't really go anywhere. I felt that I was just kinda hangin' out in a ditch or something... just kinda waitin'... fer the train... is that the train? No, just my brain bein' bored. Well, that's kinda harsh; I don't mean that. The mix is pretty and all; I'm fallin' asleeep.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01442 - Chrono Trigger "Door to the End of Time"