iDevice music apps and you?

Esperado

so it runs the midi sequence to the little phatty? like if you set the sequence to play mario, it would make the moog play the mario theme?

Well, MIDI machine is more like an old school analog sequencer. You're really not going to play a full song with it. There are Apps, though, that you could do that with and make it work.

BTW, the latest update to AudioBus has helped out quite a bit for running multiple apps on my Ipad Mini. This makes a Shaggy happy. ;)

Well, MIDI machine is more like an old school analog sequencer. You're really not going to play a full song with it. There are Apps, though, that you could do that with and make it work.

BTW, the latest update to AudioBus has helped out quite a bit for running multiple apps on my Ipad Mini. This makes a Shaggy happy. ;)

That's nice to hear, i'll have to try myself later.

I also got polysix yesterday, last day of the intro sale. That one is said to run well even on the 1st ipad, so i'm hopeful ill get some use out of it via AB as well.

Then again, i wanna stop reacting to deals that easily. It was awesome when i got my mini in december and everything was on holiday sale, but i feel a bit saturated with apps right now lol.

Beatmaker is what i'm using the most. Shnabubula provided me with a crapload of readily looped WAVs from SNES games, and they're really easy to set up as patches in BM. Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid are done, might do DKC next. I'll turn BM into my SNES DAW :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro but Ive got a few updates for you guys. 

The first and most useful is the Studiomux app. it lets you run midi and audio through your usb cable, which effectively turns any of your music apps into viable external synths. You can also use your phone as an FX unit if you configure it properly.

Next up is the Roli app. Its possibly the best freebie music app available. Im not sure if it runs on older phones, but your best experience will be on any of the 6s and onward phones due to the pressure sensitive screen. Its the best implimentation of the pressure sensitivity ive seen so far in any app. The sound quality is excellent and you can expand the sound bank if you so choose. Again, its a freebie, so grab it if youve got the 6s. 

Lastly, maschine 2! Ive yet to get ahold of it but the original maschine app was alot of fun for practicing drum patterns on the go and ive heard theyve really stepped up the actual music making capabilities. As with the original, this app lets you sync with your desktop maschine projects. 

Me and @DarkeSword do hotel room jam sessions by using a 6 (?) way 3.5mm hub and hooking up a few iPhones and iPads all together.

These sessions usually consist of launching Figure on all of the devices and synchronizing them. This affords a lot of creativity since you can lay down basic solid patterns on one device and do experimental or improvisational stuff on others. On some of the devices we might launch Animoog or SoundPrism (favorite), along with all his other tools like Loopy, Audiobus, etc.

Sometimes I put my laptop in too, get some DAW power and good samples or synths into it.

It's not really actual music production or arrangement per se, but it's certainly incredibly fun and creative, so who cares. xP I think trying to do actual DAW stuff on iOS isn't really a fruitful endeavor. Most attempts seem to take DAW's and try to shrink them down to a touch screen, like FL Studio Mobile (which I can confidently say is the most wasteful $20 I've ever spent).

I remember one of those Figure jam sessions from a few magfests back, it was a pretty fun setup! I like how IOS (and the few android apps) music apps have a more modular music making approach.  I think FLmobile. Nanostudio and some of those other types of mobile DAWs were useful as practice tools for being on the go, but not for full on production. I can imagine if you had an idea for a chord progression or some other song element and you happened to use FLstudio that it would be useful to be able to import to mobile projects though. Maschine 2 surely would be useful for this function, especially with the ability to record field samples using just your phone.

I love FL Mobile; that's how I got into making music more often than an hour a week when I was at another house on Ableton Lite. I guess it isn't that great, though. The step sequencer, however, is absolutely phenomenal with a touch screen. I don't know how you could manually write any faster. I really wish it had ghost notes, but eh. 

Nanostudio is good fun, good for sound design practice, but the piano roll is a pain to write on. Defintely better sounds than FLM

I only used Beatmaker 2 a bit, but it seemed pretty nice. Some of the percussion samples were really good, fun for gltichy and loopy stuff.