OCR00371 - Kid Icarus "Funky Dungeon"

Saunders

Kid Icarus 'Funky Dungeon'

Wow, I can instantly say that I love the way this starts out. I love the eerie feeling represented here. The sample used for the lead kind of bothers me, sounds like it doesn't belong with the rest of the tune, but it’s not bad. The tune changes to a more upbeat version (maybe this is an entirely different theme from the game?) around 2:15. And then there’s another change around 3:25, it goes back to the previous, slower style. Good mix. 3/5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kid Icarus 'Funky Dungeon'

Hmm, I didnt think I was gonna like this mix at the begging, but a minutes or so into the track it got interesting. The tempo slowed down and speeded up which I though was cool. A very mysterious slow groove and a upeat tempo at times also. Could of been a bit shorter though, but otherwise a cool mix. Try it! 8)

error16.jpg

Funny pic Of the Day / \

_________________ |

• 1 month later...

I have never played "Kid Icarus", nor have I heard its music in its original chippy splendor, something I intend to amend one of these days... At any rate, this is an OC ReMix that I've liked for quite some time now. I'm usually more of a tranquil-instrumental-type personality, but I'm always on the lookout for technoey-trancey-type stuff (I am a complete imbecile when it comes to categorizing music, so "technoey-trancey" is the best I can do) to groove to, and this most certainly qualifies. Although there are certain elements of repetition here, there is also plenty of variety, ultimately making this piece heavily listenable. And, even without having heard the original song in its in-game context, "Funky Dungeon" gives me a distinct impression of some vast, dark tomb -- must be the slightest "Egyptian" flavor I get out of it, particularly at the beginning. Excellent work, and having the distinct honor ::} of making one of my "Reichu's Trancey Digz" CDs (you know, for listening to in the car, and such). Me likes Mazedude.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Man I love Mazedude, my mom even recognized this song! Mazedude just does a wicked job on these songs, in almost every one of his songs he'll change the tempo but it never gets old, it only raises my respect for him and his music! Keep it up Mazedude!

• 1 year later...

Ah, old-school Mazedude. This is a great one. The slap bass at the beginning is sick and I love it. I love the synth leads and the way it builds. Too bad they wouldn't put this in the new Smash for the Wii, 'cause it'd really be awesome for Pit. I barely remember playing the game at all, but with music this good, it really doesn't matter.

As usual, this has that juicy tracker-meat Mazedude-ness to it, so if you like the Dude, you should love this. Get his old "Japanese Swamp" mix, too, if you like this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Not as much funky as it is unpretentiously stylised. I love the edgier flavour given to the simple theme; creepy without seeming like it is trying to be creepy.

I think the instrumentation works extremely well with this. I am reminded of some select tracks from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, that took various chiptunes and arranged them with a harder, darker sound not unlike where this travels.

Being a Mazedude mix, I shouldn't have to point out that this also has personality in spades, and some great pacing and technical effects piled on top. Everything comes together pretty fluidly (especially impressive is the undisturbing transition between whole themes and tempos) and is undeniably good. I still think it may prove a tad unaccessable to some, but as far as I'm concerned, this is better than I'd ask of anyone. Mazedude provides yet again.

• 4 months later...

Quite an interesting Mazedude mix - it has a sort of industrial/egyptian flair to it, but about halfway through it changes up to a more upbeat segment, as if something started become more pressing (like being chased), and then ends in a mysterious note.

Well executed, and impressive for such an early song in the life of the site.

When I say the title, I was expecting a different kind of funk. It's still funky, just taken in the typical direction that Mazedude takes it.

That bass is funky right from the start, and fits in rather well with the dark, Egyptian theme that's going on here. The tempo change towards the middle caught me by surprise, but it seamlessly went from one transition to another.

Another impressive track from the 'Dude.

• 4 months later...

Newly registered and not familiar with the artist just yet. Regardless, this mix blew me away. It's weird and awesome. The bass is delicious. It does sound a bit dated, but that doesn't take anything away from it, imo.

I never realized just how DERANGED this music is, especially the boss music in the middle. I don't think I'll ever be able to play Kid Icarus the same way again.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00371 - Kid Icarus "Funky Dungeon"