Mario 64 Dire Dire Docks WIP

noTuX

Here's a little project that I started last year. I finally decided to get back to work on it.

It is a remix of on of my favorite songs from Mario 64 with a little bit of "Bowser's Road" mixed in there.

I still have alot of work to do with this but I would like to know what you think of it so far.

Original: http://youtu.be/uqcPSbkS9TQ

WIP: https://soundcloud.com/user7666413/mario-64-ad-lucem-wip

Pretty mix!

At 0:23 there seems to be a note with wrong timing on the piano.

You could add more delay to the synth at 0:36, it feels a bit thin.

I like the violin line that begins at 0:41. Only gripe that I have with it is that many notes are too short, making the violin sound a bit more agressive than it should.

I don't really have many more comments. The arrangement is very pretty, stays quite true to the source and stays interesting the whole way!

Pretty mix!

At 0:23 there seems to be a note with wrong timing on the piano.

You could add more delay to the synth at 0:36, it feels a bit thin.

I like the violin line that begins at 0:41. Only gripe that I have with it is that many notes are too short, making the violin sound a bit more agressive than it should.

I don't really have many more comments. The arrangement is very pretty, stays quite true to the source and stays interesting the whole way!

I hear what you're talking about at 0:23. I'll take care of it.

The synth will probably be replaced in future updates. I just haven't decided yet on what I want to use.

I will play around with the viola a little more and see what I come up with.

as a violist, I greatly appreciate your use of my instrument. I don't really know what to suggest, because I'm not sure what your goals are with the track, but the 2:00 mark could use some more tension, if building up to 2:35 in some way.

As an interesting scenario, if I were playing this on my viola, I would certainly use a great deal more arpeggiation playing in this track, as the chords are so big and lush, allowing some very smooth harmonic jumps into different registers.

I'm really diggin the vibe you got here but the sampled viola/violin makes me cringe. It's the note transitions that always ruin violin samples. PM me if you want a live violin.

Sounds interesting. Honestly, I'm still not confident enough in my mixing/mastering skills to do collabs yet. However, I will consider it.

Once I get all of my ideas down and move closer to a finished song, I'll give you a shout.

as a violist, I greatly appreciate your use of my instrument. I don't really know what to suggest, because I'm not sure what your goals are with the track, but the 2:00 mark could use some more tension, if building up to 2:35 in some way.

As an interesting scenario, if I were playing this on my viola, I would certainly use a great deal more arpeggiation playing in this track, as the chords are so big and lush, allowing some very smooth harmonic jumps into different registers

Good ideas. I don't really work with violin/viola samples that often (at least, not having them in the forefront) so it's always good to get some pointers. I'll try adding some arpeggio in future updates and working on better buildups.