New instrumental song + music video

ilp0

(watch in HD please :) )

Hi! This is a simple music video that I made for my multimedia portfolio as

I apply for a some kind of job at the game industry soon (programmer most likely).

I thought I might as well share it here as the song is very much like my VG remixes in style and sounds. It's originally a piano piece that I composed a long time ago but this is a kind of remix of it. Guitars, chiptune stuff, the usual...

It's called "Harju", that is a district of Helsinki. Video is made of some of my photographs from Helsinki (heavily edited though).

-ilp0 / Ilari Nieminen

Well I Like the song. How do you develop your arrangements? They're always so damn Creative and usually very progressive, yet cohesive wholes.

Have you ever thought about composing for games?

Thanks! I make music kind of "top down" way, starting with the structure and bigger picture and then filling in the details with big element of jamming and improvisation.

Typical process is that I start with a simple synth track that plays the whole song through (usually discarded from the final mix). Then throw in drums, bass and the most important tracks. The rest is just jamming to fill the gaps and add some intresting textures to the sound.

I wouldn't want to turn music into work but I would be fun maybe to write a score into some amateur game project.

• 3 weeks later...

I share your thoughts about composing. For me, making these remixes at my own pace is enjoyable and it's a great outlet for my musical creativity, and I want it to stay that way; making some kind of regular business out of it would defeat the whole purpose of my doing songs out of enjoyment. But some indie-game sometime in the future, who knows..:D

One last thing, I've been kind of expecting your next undertaking with remixes, when are more of your tracks gonna pop up? Weeping Willow rocked, man. In an acoustic sense:D

Thanks! I make music kind of "top down" way, starting with the structure and bigger picture and then filling in the details with big element of jamming and improvisation.

Typical process is that I start with a simple synth track that plays the whole song through (usually discarded from the final mix). Then throw in drums, bass and the most important tracks. The rest is just jamming to fill the gaps and add some intresting textures to the sound.

I wouldn't want to turn music into work but I would be fun maybe to write a score into some amateur game project.