Season 1, Episode 5: "Ultra-Modern"
Results are in!
- First Place: "Calm of Sweden" by Anorax feat. Flexstyle, with 12 points.
- Second Place: "Freedom of Youth" by Esperado feat. Syllix, with 10 points.
- Third Place: "Godda Go Faste" by Tuberz McGee feat. hakstock, with 9 points.
- Fourth Place: "One Final Prophecy" by The Eluryahn feat. ectogemia, with 6 points.
- Fifth Place: "Mario! The Galaxy Awaits" by Cash and Change feat. pu_freak, with 5 points.
Twice this season, we've done "retro" themes, so now it's time to look to the other end of the spectrum. All mixes should either:
- Be based on a source or sources from a game that came out for a game system that's currently being manufactured. Backward compatibility doesn't count, nor do PC games, arcade games, rereleases, or remakes. Or:
- Be based on any source, and done in a futuristic or sci-fi style.
- Cash and Change with pu_freak. Source:
- Anorax with Flexstyle. Source:
- Esperado with Syllix. Source:
- Tuberz McGee with hakstock. Source:
- The Eluryahn with ectogemia. Sources: http://youtu.be/pTi7LrXxbOI
About ReMixing With the Stars
ReMixing With the Stars is intended to give beginning remixers some support, encouragement, and mentoring in their quest to become great, and as a sidenote, to become posted remixers. Beginners are mentored by experienced remixers to push their abilities to new heights and submit collaborative works according to the theme of the month.
Who's a "Star" and who's a "Novice?"
Any posted or accepted-to-be-posted remixer, as the only artist or as the lead arranger on a piece, is automatically considered a "Star." This isn't meant to be a statement on who's a "good" or "expert" artist, but it's a somewhat meaningful threshhold which doesn't require any subjective judgment on my part (however subjective the OCR judging process may be). Additionally, anyone who wants to sign up as a Star can also be put into that category. This is because a lot more "Novices" (who is everyone else) sign up than stars, and it's better to receive some mentoring from someone who's good but not posted than from no one at all.
If you've done any of the following things, as examples, I strongly recommend you sign up as a Star:
- Contributed to an OCR album
- Had a submitted remix rejected but with one or more "Yes" votes
- Beat a posted remixer in direct competition (not counting forfeit)
- Sold your compositions (remixes or not) for money
If you want to sign up conditionally (e.g. "I'd prefer to be a Novice, but if you need me to be a Star so more people can participate, that's fine too"), then go ahead, and bless you.
- Enrollment/Pairings: For episode 2 and onward, pairings will be a little different. They'll still be first-come, first-served, except that Novices who participated in a previous episode get priority. This is so that the community can watch a consistent group of OCR newcomers grow in skills as the season progresses. (Don't worry, this won't carry over into next season, so people won't be matriculated through forever. In fact, for Season 2, Episode 1, priority will be exactly the other way around, with Season 1 participants getting lower preference for slots.) As before, once the signup deadline is reached, whichever list of signups has more people in it will be truncated, based on order of priority as described above, so the lists are the same size. Then Novices will be randomly paired with Stars, except that Novice-Star pairings won't be repeated twice in a season.
- Mixes: The Novice must be the primary remixer. Stars can contribute by giving advice, playing a live instrument or vocals, and with production, including minor adjustments to fix timing or dissonance issues. They may also contribute a short solo segment. No one other than the Novice and Star may help in any way.
- Submissions: All entries must be sent to me by the 12PM PST deadline via PM on the forums, with a link to a reliable host for me to download your mix from. Please don't use Tindeck, as it doesn't give you control over what the filename will be when downloaded. I also recommend you post in this thread that you've submitted your mix, since I know there have been issues in other compos with PM's not being received. Please submit your file as an mp3, preferably encoded at a high-quality VBR or 320kbps. Filenames must be in the following format:
Novice feat. Star - Title (Game).mp3
MindWanderer feat. djpretzel - The World's Worst ReMix (Pong).mp3
Proper file names mean I can do my job of getting the compliation done and posted faster, which means you get to hear the great music produced by this sooner.
All deadlines are 12 PM (noon) Pacific time (PST).
- Signups until Wednesday, February 6, 1200 PST. If you're signing up as a Novice, and didn't sign up for a previous episode, you must post links to at least two samples of your previous work! They don't have to be good, they don't even have to be game remixes, you just have to prove you're not brand-spanking-new to this music production thing. Things you've posted to the WIP forum are preferable but not required. If you're signing up as a Star, say a little bit about your strengths, and maybe post a link or three to remixes you feel best represent them. You can mention anything else you think would be helpful in working with you (software preferences, instruments you play, etc).
- Announcement of the pairings and theme on Feb. 6. The theme will be broad enough to allow many, many options, serving mainly as a unifying factor. It's announced later so that no one gets a head start.
- ReMixing from Feb. 6 to Wednesday, February 20, 1200 PST (2 weeks). Rules and guidelines above.
- Voting from whenever I get the compilation posted (should be no more than a few hours after the deadline) until Wednesday, Febryary 27, 1200 PST. Votes should be based on, in roughly descending order, use of source (i.e. interpreted but recognizable), arrangement, production, and enjoyability. How appropriate the submission was for the theme shouldn't be considered (since this is easier for option A than option . You'll pick your three favorites, in order. Your first-place vote will get 3 points, your second-place 2 points, and your third-place 1 point. Participants (both Novices and Stars) may not vote for their own mixes, but participants who vote will get a free first-place vote added to their score. Please send me a PM with your votes, like this:
1. First-place ReMix
2. Second-place ReMix
3. Third-place ReMix
Thanks for your interest, and lets get this show on the road!
- [thread=40611]Pilot Episode: "Beginnings"[/thread]
- [thread=41556]Season 1, Episode 1: "Spooky!"[/thread]
- [thread=41864]Season 1, Episode 2: "Origins of Home Gaming"[/thread]
- [thread=42143]Season 1, Episode 3: Special "You Can Never Have Too Much Mega Man" edition[/thread]
- [thread=42485]Season 1, Episode 4: "Yesteryear"[/thread]
Edited by MindWanderer, 20 January 2015 - 12:25 AM.