RWS 1-5 ReMixing With the Stars: Season 1 Episode 5: "Ultra-Modern"

MindWanderer

Please check your PMs.

And I kindly reciprocate this by asking you to check yours in return. :)

That being said, I have a feeling that I'm going to get a case of the coulda-woulda-shoulda's in a little bit...

If it plays out the way it always does... I'll take a second listen to my track and go

'oh wait this isn't as good as i remember'

If I had a penny...

This. Always this.

That, and sometimes I do that halfway through a work-in-progress. Stupid perfectionism...

It's your art, you have ownership of it.

Mixes are up. Anorax and Tuberz, I don't have time today to hunt down Youtube clips of your sources, so it would be helpful if you could provide them.

done.

EDIT: In hindsight, I think my mix is way too conservative of the source... drat

Ok, so here goes, in alphabetical order by song title

Calm of Sweden - It's not easy to judge your own track for quality, because it's your own track.

However, I'll try anyway.

- - - - -

The high reverberation in the beginning is a bit much, but not really overkill. From a listener's standpoint, I like how the piano and the pizzicato strings have the reverb applied.

The Rhodes piano could probably use more work on the bass end, and the the cello in the background adds a solid sound to the intro.

1:21 - The bass needs more sound to it, unfortunately. Probably should have applied a sine an octave below the bassline here to round it out.

Kick could use some mixing magic to bring it out more.

2:30 - the strings are relatively well mixed, IMO. The reverb is back, and this time it may be a bit much - it sounds too open and the reverb tail is too long. The drums sound a bit awkward at the beginning, but then it blends in nicely when the strings all come in.

Overall, the use of source is rather uh, generous. However, it holds itself together well.

...jeez it's so WEIRD to critique your own work like that!

Freedom Of Youth

Opening pads are nice, although the kick seems shallow, like it's missing some highs or something. I don't know.

I like the progressive feel of the track through and through.

So far, there aren't any real glaring obvious mixing mistakes or anything like that. The mix as a whole is pleasant to listen to, even if you're unfamiliar with the source. (me!)

I like what Esperado did with this song. After going back and listening to the source, I can DEFINITELY hear in the track. Well done.

Godda Go Faste

Guessing by the title, I'm assuming it's a Sonic source :-D

The oriental instrumentation at the beginning really adds character to the song, and when the guitars come in it's amazing. Just goes to show that Tuberz really knows his way around a guitar.

Of course, I don't know what hakstock did to help him out, so I'm just running on assumptions here.

Around 1:40, there are parts where it sounds like the bass is playing non-chord tones. That really stood out to me, almost like a sore thumb. To me, it kind of pulled the mix apart for a bit. However, it didn't last long, and the song came back together well.

The ending was kind of cool, gotta admit.

Again, unfamiliar with the source, but hot damn this is a cool arrangement! Especially when you go back and listen to the source.

Mario! The Galaxy Awaits

Clicked play and immediately spaced out. *shot for bad pun*

very nice, spacey arrangement. To me, it sounds a bit negative, considering the source. Sounds more like a boss theme than a file select theme.

1:40 - 2:20, the mix relaxes again, back to a more spacey soundscape.

Then at 2:20 - 2:38, you have bass-heavy, boss theme feel again, which isn't bad, but doesn't match the source in my opinion. THen the song relaxes back into the calm space atmosphere until the end.

A very interesting take on the source. Overall, I like it, but there are times when I kept the source in mind as I listened, and it sounded off to me.

One Final Prophecy

Don't know the source, but I like this mix. Really cool.

Not much to say about this. Really nice and enjoyable altogether, although there are some spots where the transitions seem off, like around 1:42. Other than that, really cool mix, and I can't find much to say about mixing issues or anything. You guys did a great job with this mix!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think I was more harsh on my own mix, but I kind of figured I'd do that anyways.

You guys all did great.

Now, to go vote!

Current News

Results are in!

Results!

1. First Place: "Calm of Sweden" by Anorax feat. Flexstyle, with 12 points.

ADSFASDFADFASF F***

I'm still not sure how I won lol, I certainly felt as if there were more original/creative arrangements than mine.

Then again, I was style-copying again, so shame on me (emulating Zedd)