Soundfonts or Trackers?

maybe you mean sequencers vs. trackers?

Yes. To be quite honest, even though I have fooled around with remixing for about a year now I never accually really commited to it until about 3 weeks ago. So I am still new to the terms.

But all I know is that this whole fooled around with year was being used with Trackers and their tutorials. I made no progess, I moved to Sequencers and I see progress every day.

While it is possible to use soundfonts in Modplug, this feature is not stable. I couldn't make some of the fonts work properly, so I had to rip the samples. I think when the module size reaches 300 Mb or so, the soundfont support gets messed up.

soundfont support in Modplug is terrible. I used thought soundfonts were utter crap. Then I tried using them in FL. whoa, now that's different...

• 3 weeks later...

Most composers have left trackers. There aren't many trackers in development today.

Hehe.. quite the opposite. Though there's a lot of dead projects. The tracker scene is still alive and kicking..

In the late 90's you either used ft2 or it2. Nowadays you're spoiled for choice: aodix, berotracker, buzz, madtracker, milkytracker, modplug tracker, psycle, renoise, schism tracker, skale.

Biggest are madtracker and renoise. Especially renoise turns some heads. They're catching up with traditional sequencers feature-wise and have equal sound quality.

I wasn't really doing any devil's advocate stuff. You said trackers aren't legit pieces of music software anymore - I said "nope," then you said there were not many trackers in development today, I agreed but then Blaster makes a good point: aodix, berotracker, buzz, madtracker, milkytracker, modplug tracker, psycle, renoise, schism tracker, skale. Forgot about all those :) not to mention the specialty ones like NerdTracker and Mod2PSG and all those weirdo gameboy trackers.

Though Schism Tracker is basically just Impulse Tracker with bugs, right now. There's not gonna be anything modernized about it either.