Sony PlayStation 4

Crowbar Man

R.I.P. Wii U we hardly knew thee. We are sorry PS4 had more games at launch than you currently have and that they are better.

Since you bring it up, Metacritic says hi. Killzone(75) and Knack (60) have worse scores than NSMBU (84), NintendoLand (77) & ZombiU (77). I'll give you Resogun (82).

But yeah, a million units in a day is pretty impressive. It's pretty embarrassing that Nintendo sat on it's laurels and Pikmin 3 was the biggest first party game to come out in the whole of 2013 so far. But let's not act like their big guns have already released. The battle is far from over. With Super Mario 3D World out starting this week, sales won't stand still over the holiday, you can bet on that.

Also I have a theory that Microsoft's PR fumbles earlier this year swayed a lot of Xbox customers over to Sony's side and pushed the numbers up higher than what are usual console launch numbers (400-600k). Not to mention the $100 price difference. Don't get me wrong, I think Xbox will sell out on the 22nd, I just think PS4 got a huge rush of support. Their PR departments were on point this year.

Edited by ocre

It will be interesting to see how many core gamers view the Wii outside of competition with the Xbone / PS4, but buy a Wii U anyway for the killer franchises. Surely I am not the only person here who owned one of 360/PS3 and also owned a Wii!

Nintendo really needs to release the games that everyone wants for Wii U, incidentally. Until Super Smash Bros. 4 and a new Zelda title are released, imo the system isn't worth counting out, as many people are waiting for them to appear before considering picking one up.

Back on topic: I can't wait for remote play -- I've heard good things. Hoping to see some more Vita / PS4 cross play also. I'm thinking of my PS4 as Netflix box + Vita companion right now more than the other way around. This admittedly is likely because the Vita is playable with kids in the house -- not always true of a console.

I wouldn't exactly call PS4's library stellar just yet. Most of the launch items are pretty lackluster and/or ports unfortunately. It is a pretty decent lineup though, and will definitely improve. Though at least the ports are better than the previous gen and not worse, in the Wii U's case :/

It'll be just like last gen, I don't think anybody did their main gaming on the Wii. It was mostly a 2nd console for the Nintendo stuff, or the rare times a 3rd party made something interesting with it. The big difference here is that they don't have a massive amount of casuals & hardcore alike buying their console for a new gimmick putting its numbers through the roof like they did last gen. It will probably sit in last place unless someone really messes up and gives them a chance to rise to 2nd. But as long as it does better than the GCN Nintendo will be fine. They still have plenty of heavy hitters to release

What I'm more interested to see is how XBO numbers match up. How many people have decided to stick with MS after the whole DRM debacle? Those numbers will be interesting to see

Edited by Crowbar Man

Not really the topic for this but, again, I'm sure the Xbox One will not slouch in sales. Even with Microsoft's fumbled PR this year, the Xbox brand is still very potent. They have practically made 'Xbox' synonymous with games (for the mainstream audience) in the same way Nintendo & Sony did in generations past. The biggest barrier for entry is the price. $499 + the subscription fee + $60 per game. I don't know if the mass market will go for it when there are $100-$200 cheaper alternatives. But the diehards will buy, no doubt.

Will it sell more than PS4? I doubt it.

Yeah, many people are buying Xbox based on brand alone. That and their friends are also buying Xbox's and they like the services offered by XBL.

What will help Sony pull ahead in this race is if they can offer the same quality that XBL had. They were pretty close to getting it with PS3/PSN last gen, but they were doing it completely free and the PS3 hardware was lacking.

Now they are charging (which in theory should help), and the PS4 is actually superior to the XBO in terms of hardware performance. As you mentioned, they are also cheaper for initial hardware

So it really comes down to: Can Sony continuously offer a better service?

That will the the key. The PS4 doesn't have hardware performance issues like the PS3, now they just need to continuously offer amazing stuff for their services.

The discounts and features you get with PS+ are pretty amazing, so if they can offer solid multiplayer on top of that Sony definitely has a good chance of winning people over to their side (if they haven't already)

It'll be very interesting to see how these two consoles duke it out next year.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Man you ain't even played the games yet, and here you are calling them garbage

I've played it a bit - not a whole lot since I participated in a hackathon this weekend, and spent most of my spare time working on another website.

Amongst my workplace, consensus has been that it isn't terribly impressive so far.

Impressions so far - I ran into an infinite 'Contract ready to install' notification bug, which was pretty annoying since the game is like 2.2 GB. Sony doesn't provide any good way of disabling the notification either, which is pretty much a failure in UX. Otherwise, the UI is much refined over the previous iterations of it found in the PSP & PS3. Launch purchasers of the PS4 are rewarded with a $10 credit in the PS Store, which was nice (I finally bought Flower). I snagged the Playstation Plus subscription since it nets 2 free games (~$30 worth in the PS Store), but I've yet to try Contract or Resogun yet.

The controller feels nice, but two complaints that remain. First, the L2/R2 triggers are still resistive, which is annoying. Second, the analog sticks are still in an awkward location for FPS games. When you push forward on the left stick, you still sort of feel like you are moving right due to the diagonal position your thumb has to move.

For some reason, the d-pad feels a little better than previous iterations, which were a bit abrasive & blister-causing. The rubbery analog sticks feel great compared to all of the previous PS controllers. The controller feels very comfortable while playing in general.

I'll put some game impressions some other time...too tired.

Yeah, many people are buying Xbox based on brand alone. That and their friends are also buying Xbox's and they like the services offered by XBL.

Yeah, my girlfriend doesn't even play games. She just watches Netflix on a 360 she got from her brother, and when she saw a commercial for XBone when we were at a movie theater she just went "ooh can we get one?"

Well, she does play dancing games, to be fair. So maybe the Kinect preview blew her mind.

you were a bit premature

If you think it's wii u, wii u isn't even really part of this generation, and good reasons why it won't be Xbone have been stated at length

Did I say that? Stop acting like anything that isn't high praise over the PS4 is a personal invitation for you to sweep in with your stupidity.

Also "wii u isn't even really part of this generation" - really?

Why are you obsessed with knocking the Wii U? lol... You seem to jump at every opportunity without fail.

Edited by ocre

R.I.P. Wii U we hardly knew thee. We are sorry PS4 had more games at launch than you currently have and that they are better.

Stop posting flamebait like this. In addition, stop trolling. Talk about the PS4 if you want to talk about PS4. You're just bringing up Wii U because you want to rile people up.

Knock it off.

People may disagree with me but I calls it as I sees it, if that is interpreted as flamebait by some then... nothing I can do about that.

Has anyone been playing Warframe? It's really good, and it would be great to have some other OCR people to play with. I played the first level with 3 random people and they seemed to just want to run through the level to the end, then they had to wait on me, because I was playing like a normal person. I ended up fighting off all of the enemies on my own, because I guess they either come back or have more waves of them appear after a bit of time. I ended up finishing the level with twice the EXP anyone else had, and went up to level 3 just from the first level.

It's not a FAST paced shooter, which I like. I don't like the twitch stuff so much in multiplayer, and it works well here because trying to do a twitch shooter on a console where you don't have twitch controls like on a PC isn't good. The aiming is accurate, though, and easy to adjust. It doesn't whip around the screen, so headshots and accurate firing is pretty easy.

The only thing that seems a bit off is the melee fighting with the samurai sword. It seems less fluid and it's hard to aim at what you're trying to hit, especially with the charged attack. There's a little bit of a delay on that. The jump and swing down melee attack turns the screen red like it's some huge move, which seems silly and unnecessary. But as a whole, fighting with a samurai sword is always awesome.

I dig the controls and the movement. It's third person. Can't think of a FPS off the top of my head to compare it to, maybe similar to Mass Effect but I haven't played that in long enough to remember, and never played the 3rd game. Pretty sweet for a free to play, it never asked me to buy anything with real money. :-)