slicing

Do you want a slice player like Dr Rex, or a Slice Maker? What are you doing with the sliced audio? Rearranging the slices or just using it for time stretching?

ReCycle is a standalone slicer that makes rex files. Lots of plugins can read these files such as Cakewalk RXP, Cakewalk Dimension Pro, probably a lot of the commercial drum samplers, and I'm sure plenty I don't know about.

There is one slick vsti plug that is able to import, slice, and then play back the sliced stuff like dr rex all by itself. It's called LiveSlice.

Do you want a slice player like Dr Rex, or a Slice Maker? What are you doing with the sliced audio? Rearranging the slices or just using it for time stretching?

ReCycle is a standalone slicer that makes rex files. Lots of plugins can read these files such as Cakewalk RXP, Cakewalk Dimension Pro, probably a lot of the commercial drum samplers, and I'm sure plenty I don't know about.

There is one slick vsti plug that is able to import, slice, and then play back the sliced stuff like dr rex all by itself. It's called LiveSlice.

well, since i'm not having fun doing all the re-arranging in Reason, like i could in FL, i'd like to do some messing with the slice pattern and the like, if possible. sgx, have you used ReCycle? what's your opinion, for doing arrangement...should I stick with rex files or should i purchase a standalone?

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do with sliced audio or what you expect to get from a standalone slicer. The only app that fits the description of both standalone and has to do with slicing is ReCycle which is mostly just a utitlity that lets you convert your wav loop into a .rx2 loop that is readable by software instruments such as Dr Rex in Reason which is then used for rearranging the slices inside of the song.

I don't know of any other 'standalone' apps that slice unless you consider programs that can Acidize wav files (Acid Pro, Project5, probably some other host apps). Acidized wavs are most often used just for timestretching though.

(btw, you do know about how you can right click Dr Rex and select 'sent to track' to send the midi pattern of the rex loop to the Reason sequencer track, right?)

as for kvr, I had no idea that they had standalone programs as well. my bad.

Sorry but you always have no idea...that's why you got a warning from DarkeSword last time.

And yeah... the only "standalone" tool I know too is indeed ReCycle. On the other hand, you only said "Dr. Rex" in your first post. Now I'm not a Reason user, how should I know that you only have "Reason"?

Thinking, researching, then asking... I can't say that enough.

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do with sliced audio or what you expect to get from a standalone slicer. The only app that fits the description of both standalone and has to do with slicing is ReCycle which is mostly just a utitlity that lets you convert your wav loop into a .rx2 loop that is readable by software instruments such as Dr Rex in Reason which is then used for rearranging the slices inside of the song.

I don't know of any other 'standalone' apps that slice unless you consider programs that can Acidize wav files (Acid Pro, Project5, probably some other host apps). Acidized wavs are most often used just for timestretching though.

(btw, you do know about how you can right click Dr Rex and select 'sent to track' to send the midi pattern of the rex loop to the Reason sequencer track, right?)

Well, ReCycle is basically THE slicing tool. It has the widest range of features around and very good algorithms for detecting the different transients. I'd say it's a lot more than a WAV -> REX2 converter. :)

And yeah... the only "standalone" tool I know too is indeed ReCycle. On the other hand, you only said "Dr. Rex" in your first post. Now I'm not a Reason user, how should I know that you only have "Reason"?

He said Dr. Rex and that when he gets FL6 he'll have a slicer. It's implied that he's looking for something to use with Reason.

The only option is ReCycle I think, which isn't worth it compared to some of the vsti plugs available in my opinion. If you must do it in Reason, then I guess that's it. Its not cheap either :(

Well, ReCycle is basically THE slicing tool. It has the widest range of features around and very good algorithms for detecting the different transients. I'd say it's a lot more than a WAV -> REX2 converter. Smile

Does it do anything besides help you get your wav into a nicely sliced rx2? I used it for a bit a long time ago and never got into its features. Just turned up that slice meter and then manually placed in any I thought it missed. It didn't seem to have any functions that actually changed the audio unless I missed it.

It was cool when it pioneered the concept, but running a whole extra application for slicing I think is lame. LiveSlice and Phatmatik seem like the way to go if you've got vsti.

He said Dr. Rex and that when he gets FL6 he'll have a slicer. It's implied that he's looking for something to use with Reason.

I don't use Reason.

Does it do anything besides help you get your wav into a nicely sliced rx2? I used it for a bit a long time ago and never got into its features. Just turned up that slice meter and then manually placed in any I thought it missed. It didn't seem to have any functions that actually changed the audio unless I missed it.

It can do a bitmore... wavprocessing, compression, timestretching and exporting MIDI for samplers to have the "right" groove.

It was cool when it pioneered the concept, but running a whole extra application for slicing I think is lame. LiveSlice and Phatmatik seem like the way to go if you've got vsti.

ReFlex and Stylus RMX. The later if you already have REX files.

Yeah, ReCycle is 249$ US. i'll look into some of the other vsti slicers that you've mentioned, though.

oh, and compyfox, for gods sake...it's not like i'm insulting you or something. i made it clear the reason i posted a seperate topic - to get more feedback than what i'd get in a sample request thread (since, after all, i'm talking about purchasing some pricey software). starting a thread about possibly purchasing a rather expensive piece of software isn't that uncommon, or wrong...especially when you want some solid opinions from solid mixers (which I got).

depending on what i see with those other vsti's, i might purchase them. but like sgx said, i don't like an extra program for just slicing...especially when it's not my sole source for creating music, like some guys who are bigger into d'n'b than i am.

...for gods sake...i made it clear the reason i posted a seperate topic - to get more feedback than what i'd get in a sample request thread...

It's not about samples, it's about a VSTi - and like Darke and I said in an earlier thread of yours... we have stickies for that and they're also frequently read. This is just a lame excuse!

However you got your answer now...

It was cool when it pioneered the concept, but running a whole extra application for slicing I think is lame.

Nonetheless, ReCycle is used on a regular basis, particularly in the sampling industry. It is the ideal program for taking raw WAV data and turning it into usable grooves which can then be sold. If you already HAVE a loop or a groove, and it's just for your own personal use, then chances are no, ReCycle will probably not be just what you need because often times you will be doing more with the groove then just chopping it. But for purely doing that (and for doing it well), ReCycle comes out on top.

Prophet; it's only $200, actually, and it's as low as $100 with an educational discount.

It was cool when it pioneered the concept, but running a whole extra application for slicing I think is lame.

Nonetheless, ReCycle is used on a regular basis, particularly in the sampling industry. It is the ideal program for taking raw WAV data and turning it into usable grooves which can then be sold. If you already HAVE a loop or a groove, and it's just for your own personal use, then chances are no, ReCycle will probably not be just what you need because often times you will be doing more with the groove then just chopping it. But for purely doing that (and for doing it well), ReCycle comes out on top.

Prophet; it's only $200, actually, and it's as low as $100 with an educational discount.

i checked propellorheads.se, but that discount would be really nice. REEEEEALY nice.

now, how does the standalone beatslicer that FL offers on their site (BeatSlicer or BeatQuantizer) compare to ReCycle?