OCR02614 - Mega Man 2 "Light Your Way"

djpretzel

The most unique factor about this mix is the cool intro/outro with the awesome guitars and minimalistic approach. Very well done with those. While the bulk of the electronica is well constructed in combining both Wily and Flash Man's themes, it does delve into "been there, done that" territory. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to very similar styles of mixes to both Wily and Flash Man so I'm kind of meh about the electronica here. Nonetheless, the mix doesn't overstay its welcome and makes the statement it wants to make. I just wish that the feel of the intro/outro remained throughout the whole track.

I agree with SwordBreaker: the intro and outro were unique takes on this song, while the middle was done in a style that has been done many times before. I didn't mind that, though; I don't know that I'll ever get sick of electronica renditions of this song, and this remix packed a lot of energy. I think it's very well done, and I know I'll enjoy listening to this many, many times over :)

So we're in heavily treaded ground here, but y'know, there's a reason for that-I don't mind a letter from the era where Capcom could do no wrong. I've heard so many of these mixes in fact, I sorta' think it's one of those personal 'rite of passage' pieces for people on OCR. Present your Wily 2 mix and we shall acknowledge your credentials as a member of the tribe. ;p

All that said, I'm the kid that rented the game just so I could get to that one stage and let Mega Man stand there while I did HOMEWORK.

I love how you've smoothed out the almost jagged edges that source has, and while I think the Flash Man mix in is getting to an overcooked stage, I liked your use of it more than some others I've heard. It fits more like a puzzle piece and a transition in here instead of feeling forced or experimental.

I also agree that the intro build me up expecting something never seen - something like a melancholic melodic metal(ish) approach..? Would be fantastic if someone ever did that kind of "dr.wily goes opeth's windowpane" (from damnation). But back to the point..

I think the instruments are in balance and the mix is ear friendly (easy to listen). Especially I like the acoustic guitar and leads - they sound really pure and honest (don't really know about these terms, eh?). Also the drums have that jamming backbeat (starts at 1:57) 8)

Short version: Keep up the good work! :smile:

• 1 month later...

Just want to note how I really liked the Dr. Wily theme slowed down and done with acoustics for the intro and outro. I can only imagine how hard it is to take themes that have been done plenty of times and work in your own unique takes, so this works for me on the acoustic and electronic end. Nice work getting Flash Man and Wily's themes pieced in together like that. Great ReMix, fellas.

• 2 years later...

Pleasant acoustic-like start and finish. :) Also, refreshing instrumentation for an often mixed ocr melody.

With the way it started, I almost didn't expect the familiar refrain at 1:23. Not complaining... ^_^ just thought it was going in a different direction.

The merge into Flash Man was so smooth I almost didn't notice how it switched without a hitch.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02614 - Mega Man 2 "Light Your Way"