OCR01448 - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest "And He Returned Home"

djpretzel

Sounds like a good piece for the ending indeed, and also to celebrate DJP's return. MQ has a lot of remixable music if you ask me; I can only be happy to see another here. As said above, simply well done. A relaxed, calm remix.

*Looks above* One minute late eh?

Seconded Omega, and a very smooth piece all in all

Nice groovetastic piece overall, was there a special sound effect at like 2:09 though? like a screach or somesuch, it was an interesting touch, but its suprising if your tired, and its the first time you've heard it

My two cents, rant over, great job :D

It's really cool how this was supposed to be for an OverLooked ReMiX project, even though Diggi Dis never actually submitted it. Although if he did, it might be yet another Triple Crown mix (OCR\VGMix\OLR), if they decided to ignore the fact that it's too good for their standards. Seems like joecam gets a lot* of Triple Crowns with his projects...

*by "lot", I mean "more than anyone else has

Now that the OLR thing has been brought up, I need to say that for a mix on a project for said site it just doesn't work. Sure, it's as happy as hell and shows a nice quirky touch to the original but it's just not funny/shoddiliy produced enough. The way I see it, Mystik Kwest is to OLR what Hedgehog Heaven is to OCR - nice songs, but not entirely fitting of their standards.

(If anyone wants to question me about that, please tackle it by PMs. I refuse to have this topic messed up because of this.)

Now for a sophomore OCR mix, the story is entirely different. For most of the time I appreciate most of the moods brought into this and much of the creative uses of the original here, and I also think that the mastering has also been given a more subtle touch than what I saw in the VGMix/OLR versions.

I did mention something in my ThaSauce writeups about not interpretating the source material enough, but having finally played the game over Christmas break, I can say it took the sections and expanded on them pretty well. I think what I was meant to point out was that it didn't go beyond the two eight-bar chord sequences it used throughout, which somehow could feel disappointing for the more daring listener. But still that's okay.

I know that the vox in the original were taken out as a result, and for the people that was okay, however this has yielded two side-effects for a result - minimalism, especially in the second part, and a (complete?) lack of a climax. Surely there could be something else to put in their place to make it work out just as much as the VGMix version.

So yeah, while I'm a little skeptical about it reaching the site as it is, it's still a nicely done effort. I wish I could throw in my ThaSauce writeup for good measure but given that's a revision after the original rejection I don't think it'll be useful :P

Still, nicely done on the solo effort back there. I'll still be on the lookout for you across the community and so forth.

I heard this last week, the version with the vocals and lofi breakdown. I have to to say I prefer that version, since it gave it a more unique edge for me. But a great remix with great production, love some of the arrangement and dynamic effects, the arpegiations on the piano that grow louder, easily noticed near the end, are awesome. I find this a keeper, diggi, cheers for a wicked song.

I got this off of VGMix about a week ago and have listened to it at least once a day since. Great mix from a fairly ignored game. It was, of course, ignored for a reason, but the music in that game was pretty top notch, for not being Uematsu.

In any case, this improves on a great song. Love the mix. Haven't listened to the one off OC yet, but I personally liked the pimping of your website.

Awesome groove in the music 8O

Started out nicely enough, but when the beats started flowing it just came together really, really nicely. I really like the drumset for this one as well. The jazzy "solos" were *excellent*; sat on top of the chords just right and very aesthetically pleasing. I've heard quite abit of jazz renditions by other remixers that were just mechanical, and yours was an oodle of goodness.

Great work.

I've only recently remembered how sweet the FFMQ soundtrack was when I listen to the end of Larry's show where it was the theme. Great source tune covered absolutely masterfully. Very funky, very smooth, and very tasteful in it's variations... suprisingly not starting simple and moving towards the variations like most, but rather, keeping them constant and fluid throughout.

Incredible, a new personal favourite.

Man, thuis remix is awesome in my opinion. It's somewhat between popmusic and jazz, and its happy feeling it extrudes just makes me smile. None of the instruments doesn't make annoying noises, there's piano in it (oh yes :D ), and of course other nice samples to make this track even better. I haven't many complaints about this, even the loop is great since you can't hear when itstarts over again. I just wish I've played this game.

Awesome work Diggi, awesome indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01448 - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest "And He Returned Home"