Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream - History

zircon

This is the official discussion thread for Voices of the Lifestream, the FINAL FANTASY 7 ReMix project, which has been underway since January 2006. Feel free to leave any comments, suggestions, or questions here.

------

FAQ

------

What can we expect to hear in "Voices of the Lifestream"?

We're shooting for about 38 tracks from the Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack in a WIDE variety of styles. Tons of genres will be represented here, thanks to the varied list of ReMixers involved. Jazz, orchestra, rock, new age, trance, breakbeat, drum n' bass, solo piano... you name it, we're probably going to have it on here.

Who's involved?

AnotherSoundscape, big giant circles, bLiNd, blizihizake, bustatunez (Will Roget), Daniel Baranowsky, Darangen, Darkesword, Dhsu, djpretzel, Carbunk1e, GeoffreyTaucer, Hemophiliac, Jeremy Robson, JigginJonT, Jovette Rivera (DJ Crono), JigginJonT, Leifo, LuiZa, Mustin, pot hocket, pixietricks, Red Tailed Fox, Rellik, sephfire, Shnabubula, Sixto, sgx, SnappleMan, Star Salzman, Steffan Andrews (Spekkosaurus), Suzumebachi, tefnek, tweek, The Orichalcon, Tepid, Trenthian, Vigilante, and zircon.

I emphasize that this list is not necessarily finalized. Over the last 15 months, people have come in and out for various reasons. I, for one, was hoping Wingless and GrayLightning would be able to contribute, but due to work obligations they withdrew. However, I still think the list is pretty solid. ;)

Can I be involved?

Possibly. There are a limited number of tracks remaining to be mixed, and many of them are already claimed. However, if you're interested, either post here or PM me with samples of your work. I might be able to find a place for you somewhere.

What's the current status of the project?

It is nearly completion. 34 tracks are entirely finished and we have about 4-5 more in progress.

When will VotL be released?

Unfortunately, I can't really give anything close to a specific date. It'll be done when it's done. I've been setting and enforcing deadlines throughout the project's life, but I hesitate very much to be too strict here. I would rather give people more time to make a great mix then kick them off and get a mediocre mix from a less talented musician, or have no mix at all.

What formats will VotL be released in?

I would like to do a release of MP3 (uniformly encoded in VBR) and FLAC or WAV. Feel free to leave your thoughts about what you would prefer.

What about album art and a website?

djpretzel has volunteered to do this for us. Given that he designed OCR, I'm pretty confident he'll do a good job. But, if he decides that he needs help, or that he doesn't have time to do it, I will let you all know so we can find someone else.

How about a preview?

No.

This project has so far been drama-less. I'll have to fix that.

We have a fantastic lineup of ReMixers staffing the project, including Starblast, tefnek, djpretzel, Steffan Andrews (Spekkosaurus), mv, GrayLightning, Daniel Baranowsky, Vigiliante, analoq, suzumebachi, Darkesword, JigginJonT, Trenthian, The Wingless, Dhsu, SnappleMan, Rellik, and MANY more

WTF? I'm one of the "many more"? I don't get mentioned? In fact, all of my band is in the "many more" category?

I am offended.

Fuck you and fuck your project.

In case anybody didn't pick up on it, I'm joking. I am thrilled to be on this project, and I think it's gonna kick some serious ass.

This project has so far been drama-less. I'll have to fix that.
We have a fantastic lineup of ReMixers staffing the project, including Starblast, tefnek, djpretzel, Steffan Andrews (Spekkosaurus), mv, GrayLightning, Daniel Baranowsky, Vigiliante, analoq, suzumebachi, Darkesword, JigginJonT, Trenthian, The Wingless, Dhsu, SnappleMan, Rellik, and MANY more

WTF? I'm one of the "many more"? I don't get mentioned? In fact, all of my band is in the "many more" category?

I am offended.

Fuck you and fuck your project.

In case anybody didn't pick up on it, I'm joking. I am thrilled to be on this project, and I think it's gonna kick some serious ass.

Good luck, Taucer!

Sweet, I just started going through the game a few days ago. So all of the music will be really familiar to me (since I'm just about done with the first disc already)

I didn't hear about this before, so I'm guessing it's new, although it seems to be old.

Thanks, everyone who's involved. I might be able to do a bit of photoshopping for you guys if you'd like. So just do what you guys do best.